Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 10:43 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,637,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You cannot bear the thought of all the characteristics of God existing out of love because then your concept of God fails you.
i agree with you, but i doubt this will speak to DRob. Who among us, after all, can claim to understand God, or iow not have an idol? DRob? Would you say this of yourself?
(warning; loaded Q)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 10:59 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
All scriptures is inspired by God or God breathed: 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,is that all Scripture, being God-breathed, is without error and therefore can be trusted completely. Since God cannot lie (Hebrews 6:18), He would cease to be God if He breathed out errors and contradictions, even in the smallest part.

https://answersingenesis.org/is-the-...-of-scripture/

The Bible from start to the end is without error. God used Paul and other men who wrote the Bible. They knew the truth of the Lord message and encountered Jesus Christ. They were willing to die for him. Paul like everyone who wrote the Bible were people with integrity and were honest.https://gotquestions.org/Bible-God-Word.html
You may not have noticed that this is a doctrine set up by men to counter the equally erroneous doctrine of the infallability of the Church promulgated by the Roman church. My question is "Why would you look to a Guide other than the one Jesus promised in the pages of that book you claim as infallable?" You seem to avoid noting that promise and espousing the characteristics of that Guide noted and demonstrated by Jesus. Both of the erroneous views claim that their SECONDARY guide is supervised by the Spirit, but they neither one give any characteristics of the Spirit by which to KNOW its direction.

Can you do that?

Old 10-10-2016, 11:11 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Holy?
The commonly promulgated view seems to be as stated in What Does The Word Holy Mean? Bible Definition of Holy
God is holy but what exactly does the word holy mean? What does the Bible define as holy?
Root Word for Holy
The Hebrew word for holy is “qodesh” and means “apartness, set-apartness, separateness, sacredness” and I would add that it should also be “otherness, transcendent and totally other” because God is totally above His creation and His creatures, including us. Holy has the idea of heaviness or weight of glory. In the New Testament, the word for holy is “hagios” and means set apart, reverend, sacred, and worthy of veneration.” This word applies to God because God Himself is totally other, separate, sacred, transcendent, reverend, and set apart from every created thing. Since God is spirit this is why the Third Person of the Trinity is called the Holy Spirit. He too is fully God and all three Persons of the Trinity are holy and have the weight of glory abounding in them....

Really? THIS is "Abba" as Jesus presented our relationship?

I'm sorry, but it sounds like religious twaddle to me.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
but they neither one give any characteristics of the Spirit by which to KNOW its direction.
Can you do that?
this strikes me as ridiculous--they are plainly listed--so i must be misunderstanding you.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:44 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Following your heart is contrary to scripture
Naturally. Dried-up old prunes leading the church who are too old to have fun, the LAST thing they want is YOU having a little fun. Misery loves company.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:00 PM

lol. unfortunately imo it is more sinister than that. It strikes me as defined by the Republican aversion to change of the status quo by those who most benefit from it.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:06 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Here is the Bible definition of love: With Love here is the Bible definition of this:1 Corinthians 13:4-84 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Also we are to love another, not just our friends or people who love us as even pagans do that, but to love our enemies.

The Bible also states that God is holy: Isaiah called God “the Holy One” more than 30 times. Psalm 99:9 says, “the Lord our God is holy.” Because of His holiness He cannot accept sin (Habakkuk 1:13).

With God having the characteristic of being righteousness: Psalm 116:5 and Ezra 9:15 say that God is righteous. Many verses declare His righteousness (Exodus 9:23-27; Psalm 129:4; 145:17; Jeremiah 12:1; 1 John 1:9)

10 Awesome Attributes of God

God is also merciful and even though we all deserve eternal punishment, he has offered a way out of punishment. Only Jesus Christ can forgive sins as we all have been guilty of breaking all the ten commandments..

Also God is all knowing and even knows all thoughts and what is in your mind. God love is a really important characteristic but it is not the only one.
I agree that God has awesome attributes, but it does not state HE IS any of those other substantives except for love.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:08 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The bold above... a total dysfunctional statement. God is holy, but He is not holiness.

The underlined above... John 14:6 - I am the way, the truth and the life.

The Bible states... the Lord Himself says He is holy in Leviticus. Peter repeats that claim.

It's not one or the other. It is both holiness and love. Sending Christ to die for our sins represents both the holiness and love of God.

God ultimately wants a personal relationship with people. It comes through faith in Christ. He wants us to know Him... to know both His love and His holiness, along with His grace, mercy, justice.
So if you could only name one attribute of Who God is to a lost person, what would it be?

Old 10-10-2016, 12:37 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

The underlined above... John 14:6 - I am the way, the truth and the life..
We are making progress when you rightly recognize that Jesus Christ not the bible is the truth.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:39 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
nice. imo it is important to recognize that we pursue a completely different path from the one that God envisions for us. Iow, I think my days are filled with responsibly providing for my family, conscientiously husbanding my resources, etc, so as to be a success, whereas simultaneously God might be only interested in how i reveal my heart in different situations, positions of adversity, etc, and the two perspectives are overlaid, mine being the fatuous one.

I believe this is not only a healthy perspective, but one that the God I know accepts and embraces!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity