Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 03:00 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times

Advertisements

To be more precise in timing, OP, this is when:

Matthew 3:13-17New International Version (NIV)

The Baptism of Jesus

13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.
16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

That is the moment when man jesus became divine Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 05:15 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Shemot - Exodus - Chapter 24 (Parshah Mishpatim) - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

Probably when Moshe met him in the cloud.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:00 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I know a lot more than you...You obviously get your Greek from biased sources...
Well, you know, Richard, you may think our view is obviously biased, and you make a good case for the fact that the masculine form of the words is the same as the neuter form so that we could use the word "it" instead of "him" or "he" in those first few verses of John. but then we come to verse 14: Καὶ ὁ Λόγος σὰρξ ἐγένετο καὶ ἐσκήνωσεν ἐν ἡμῖν, καὶ ἐθεασάμεθα τὴν δόξαν αὐτοῦ, δόξαν ὡς μονογενοῦς παρὰ Πατρός, πλήρης χάριτος καὶ ἀληθείας.

Could you explain how the Word becoming flesh could mean something neuter?

Old 02-19-2017, 07:05 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, you know, Richard, you may think our view is obviously biased, and you make a good case for the fact that the masculine form of the words is the same as the neuter form so that we could use the word "it" instead of "him" or "he" in those first few verses of John. but then we come to verse 14: Καὶ ὁ Λόγος σὰρξ ἐγένετο καὶ ἐσκήνωσεν ἐν ἡμῖν, καὶ ἐθεασάμεθα τὴν δόξαν αὐτοῦ, δόξαν ὡς μονογενοῦς παρὰ Πατρός, πλήρης χάριτος καὶ ἀληθείας.
Bravo! Well done.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:31 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:

I just know how language works better than most here...I've been studying them for over 40 years...I understand their nuances...

Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
I just know how language works better than most here...I've been studying them for over 40 years...I understand their nuances...
Excellent! I'm sure we will all appreciate the benefit of your expertise on this matter. I can hardly wait.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:15 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:

Actually, you can just refer to John 1:10 in which the masculine accusative case of αὐτος is used of the Word. The masculine accusative case (the direct object) is αὐτὸν. However, the neuter accusative case is αὐτὸ which is different than the masculine accusative case. In other words, the Word is being unmistakably referred to in John 1:10 in the masculine gender.

Only in the genitive case (the possessive case), and in the dative case (the indirect object) do the masculine and neuter genders have the same suffix. In the nominative and accusative cases the suffixes for the masculine and neuter genders are different.

Singular Nominative case; αὐτος [masculine]; αὐτό [neuter] <--- different suffixes

Singular Genitive case; αὐτοῦ [masculine]; αὐτοῦ [neuter] <--- the same suffix

Singular Dative case; αὐτῷ [masculine]; αὐτῷ [neuter] <--- the same suffix

Singular Accusative case; αὐτὸν [masculine]; αὐτὸ [neuter] <--- different suffixes

And if you want more, in John 1:7 John the Baptist is referred to with the demonstrative pronoun οὗτος (houtos) which means 'this.' οὗτος is the singular masculine gender and τοῦτο is the singular neuter gender. But because οὗτος immediately follows the reference to John in verse 6, it is legitimate to translate it as (He). Of course it could also be translated as 'this one.'

Old 02-20-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Excellent! I'm sure we will all appreciate the benefit of your expertise on this matter. I can hardly wait.
Sarcasm doesn't become you, Nate...Sorry if your ego got bruised...

Old 02-20-2017, 12:39 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:
Sarcasm doesn't become you, Nate...Sorry if your ego got bruised...
And I will wait for you to admit.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
And I will wait for you to admit.
Admit what?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity