Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:10 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,820,981 times

Advertisements

I was raised extreme fundamentalist and lately have been teetering on the brink of atheism. Some days I feel like I believe and then for days on end I will feel completely atheist. Part of what led me here is that I can't subscribe to the narrow minded, dogmatic practices and beliefs of fundamentalism. Being raised with a fundamentalist worldview, the belief was that the Bible either is the Word of God or it isn't. Non-fundamentalist denominations, they say, are somewhat "cafeteria" Christians. They take only what they want and discard the rest. While the truth is more complicated than that, there are some things that non-fundamentalists do discard because it is no longer culturally acceptable.

For instance, the ban on homosexuality in the Bible has only been questioned by non-fundamentalist churches in the last 20 years as the culture has changed. While I agree with that culture change, something as important as doctrine, which can mean the difference between heaven and hell, shouldn't be subject to change because it becomes politically incorrect. Another thing is that if you want to see heaven as a fundamentalist, the rules you have to follow are almost impossible to keep and live a fulfilling life. They say it's by accepting Jesus, but if that's all it took, people would have no issues with accepting Christianity. Perhaps the biggest issue I have with accepting fundamentalism is the fact that science has proved so much of it wrong or not possible. I don't think the Bible was ever meant to be taken as literal history as the fundamentalists believe it to be.

However, how to non-fundamentalists decide what is binding and what isn't? To me, it seems like once you start picking and choosing, you can pick and choose your way out of being Christian at all and you become something more like a deist or Unitarian Universalist.

What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 02:38 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,029,632 times
My thoughts are that being born from above or enlightened is as simple or complex as one wants to make it, but largely it is on Father's say so, as to the timing and ultimate expression of what it looks like, in the earth.

Some of the behaviours that might be manifested in folks who are moving toward enlightenment are: realisation that self / ego has to die in order to live, choosing to love, and in being / doing both of those take of the tree of life and without thinking about it one will naturally stop judging things as good and evil (the other tree), which is the ground for pride and hell.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:07 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
MY concern is will fundamentalism be enough to get you to heaven?

Old 04-19-2017, 04:48 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,002,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
MY concern is will fundamentalism be enough to get you to heaven?
The "once saved always saved doctrine" is false, and has been shown by various Hell testimonies.( even if they themselves are not biblical, according to fundamentalists)

Old 04-19-2017, 07:31 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I was raised extreme fundamentalist and lately have been teetering on the brink of atheism. Some days I feel like I believe and then for days on end I will feel completely atheist. Part of what led me here is that I can't subscribe to the narrow minded, dogmatic practices and beliefs of fundamentalism. Being raised with a fundamentalist worldview, the belief was that the Bible either is the Word of God or it isn't. Non-fundamentalist denominations, they say, are somewhat "cafeteria" Christians. They take only what they want and discard the rest. While the truth is more complicated than that, there are some things that non-fundamentalists do discard because it is no longer culturally acceptable.

For instance, the ban on homosexuality in the Bible has only been questioned by non-fundamentalist churches in the last 20 years as the culture has changed. While I agree with that culture change, something as important as doctrine, which can mean the difference between heaven and hell, shouldn't be subject to change because it becomes politically incorrect. Another thing is that if you want to see heaven as a fundamentalist, the rules you have to follow are almost impossible to keep and live a fulfilling life. They say it's by accepting Jesus, but if that's all it took, people would have no issues with accepting Christianity. Perhaps the biggest issue I have with accepting fundamentalism is the fact that science has proved so much of it wrong or not possible. I don't think the Bible was ever meant to be taken as literal history as the fundamentalists believe it to be.

However, how to non-fundamentalists decide what is binding and what isn't? To me, it seems like once you start picking and choosing, you can pick and choose your way out of being Christian at all and you become something more like a deist or Unitarian Universalist.

I do agree with your last paragraph. I think all of us have differences of opinion or interpretation with some other Christians, even amongst those who also say they are 100% Bible Believers. That's just the limitations of the human mind and human understanding. We don't all understand everything the same way. This forum in particular reveals the incredible variety of interpretations and theologies that are out there.

Given you are going through a time of struggle the answer might be to focus less on what other people think about God and focus more on what God has told you about Himself. I think you might find it a relief to filter out all the noise and all the human opinions and just get back to the Word of God. You will find truth therein that surpasses anything that anyone here or elsewhere could tell you.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:40 AM

692 posts, read 375,755 times
Quote:

RESPONSE: Become reality oriented and follow the advice of St. Paul:

1 Thessalonians 5:21New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
21 but test everything; hold fast to what is good;

1 Corinthians 13:11
When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:57 AM

45,590 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:

What do you believe?

Old 04-19-2017, 08:18 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
There came a time when I had to ask God to remove all the man made doctrines, interpretations and rules of denominations from my mind, heart and soul and to be my spiritual guide.

When I quit depending on man, books and various other man made denominations to help me seek the truth and asked the holy spirit of God to show me the truth, I finally found it was within me all the time.

It didn't happen overnight..It happened over time by these simple words from the bible I was led to at the beginning. "Be still, and know I am God"

Maybe you need to quit seeking mans religious wisdom at this time and seek Gods guidance first.

I don't know what the after life is or where, but I know it will be love..ly.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-19-2017 at 09:24 AM..

Old 04-19-2017, 08:20 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,562 times
Of course- the criteria is very simple. Trust in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, and repent. No denomination has a monopoly on heaven.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,306,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Of course- the criteria is very simple. Trust in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, and repent. No denomination has a monopoly on heaven.
Plus one. Specially the bolded part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity