Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 11:21 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,040,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Mahayana,

If you were a Jehovah's Witness I would think that you were on here counting time, as the Jehovah's Witnesses report time in service, which could even be on a forum.

If you think that you will find people here on this forum that will come to Self Realization Fellowship (SRF), I would suggest that they come to the exSRF forum and read what it is about first. It is called SRFBlacklist.

SRF is not a good organization. Their guru had affairs with women. Their organization is abusive. When I learned these things I left.

As to Christ, well, Yogananda wanted to connect Christianity with Hinduism so that Christians would come to it. His teachings on Christ would never get past Christian scholars, even those who are atheists or agnostics. But even the Christian teachings on Christ are bogus. Oh, well. Coming here is fun, but sometimes I wonder about posts like these and others.

Refreshing to see someone without blinders on. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 11:57 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Refreshing to see someone without blinders on. Peace

Old 09-21-2017, 03:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Thank you for that correction. When we look at history, we see that it was but a minority that were pyromaniacs (remind you of any Muslims?). Most of the violent ones were mob-like violators, such as Peter the Reader.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:25 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You know, Mattie Jo, I appreciate your report on SRF, but it would help if you would give one example of Yogananda's "teachings on Christ" that is "bogus" and why.
It would be a big waste of time. People believe what they want. Of course it's been done on srfblacklist

Old 09-21-2017, 04:46 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
You know, Mattie Jo, I appreciate your report on SRF, but it would help if you would give one example of Yogananda's "teachings on Christ" that is "bogus" and why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
It would be a big waste of time. People believe what they want. Of course it's been done on srfblacklist
The claim in post #44 is bogus.
In titling this work The Second Coming of Christ, I am not referring
to a literal return of Jesus to earth. He came two thousand years ago
and, after imparting a universal path to God's kingdom, was crucified
and resurrected; his reappearance to the masses now is not necessary for
the fulfillment of his teachings.
What is necessary is for the cosmic wisdom
and divine perception of Jesus to speak again through each one's
own experience and understanding of the infinite Christ Consciousness
that was incarnate in Jesus. That will be his true Second Coming. [Bolding mine]
The claim denies the necessity for a second coming of Jesus in order to fulfill His teachings. Jesus taught that He would return and judge the nations with the sheep going into the kingdom and the goats going into the eternal fire. Matthew chapters 24 and 25.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:36 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,994,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jesus is the Way, so it's the Way he walked that we follow. Your own bible says this is the way walk ye in it. Know where in the scriptures does say believe in me, it is believe him, believe him about what ?, the way of the Father that he taught . Who is the follower of the Way, he that hears his sayings and does them.
Do you do them perfectly all the time?

Doing does not make one a Christian.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Indeed, many of the early Christians were extremely violent pyromaniacs. Take into the account the martyrdom of Neoplatonist Hypatia of Alexandria... and the constant Jewish vs Christians and Christians vs Christian gang wars throughout the Roman Empire.
How do you know they were Christians?

By their fruits you will know them.

Not all who say to Me Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
"The true basis of religion is not belief, but intuitive experience. Intuition is the soul’s power of knowing God. To know what religion is really all about, one must know God."

She is only half right. Intutution and experiences can be wrong.

Gn 15:6 - Abram BELEIVED God and it was counted to him as righteousness.

Jn 3:16 - ..if you BELIEVE in Him, you will have eternal life.

Rom 10:9-10 - that if you confess with your mouth and BELIEVE in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.

I Cof 4:6 - For God who said "light shall shine out of darkness," is the One who has shown in your heart to give the Light of KNOWLEDGE of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

There are others, but one is enough.

Belief is the only key that opens the door to knowing God.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:58 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Do you do them perfectly all the time?

Doing does not make one a Christian.
Doing "perfectly" is not what is required. Being committed to the Way is. "Belief" is not an intellectual exercise or the "demons" who "believe and tremble" would be fine.

The rest of your posts on this page demonstrate your failure to acknowledge this matter.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:17 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Jesus taught that He would return and judge the nations with the sheep going into the kingdom and the goats going into the eternal fire. Matthew chapters 24 and 25.
Gehenna was initially a dump, where some of the kings of Judah sacrificed their children by fire.
I know you want to retain it as something eternal, however, the fires are no longer burning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity