Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 02:33 AM

95 posts, read 73,547 times

Advertisements

Then Jesus replied, "Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!" John 6:70

I never truly understood this. Judas was flesh, not a devil from what I understand.

My only rationing is satan possessed him. Kinda like what is going to happen with the future anti-christ

What say everyone?

I know this is the Christianity forum, so it goes without saying if you are not a Christian (meaning you DO NOT believe in all of the books of the Christian bible) then please refrain from answering my post since the thread isn't to debate the truth of Christianity, aka the Christian faith. Just wanted input from Christians on this topic. Thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 03:19 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Every person in the earth has some demonic influence on their life which they could listen to or ignore , were these demonic spirit will live in the spirit in the flesh of man and even animals , as these demonic spirit are disembodied spirit always looking for a person body to live and abide in ...... Were Jesus Christ has the power to rip these demonic spirits out of people who believe and exercise authority against these demon spirits .......

Old 07-11-2017, 08:05 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Every person in the earth has some demonic influence on their life which they could listen to or ignore , were these demonic spirit will live in the spirit in the flesh of man and even animals , as these demonic spirit are disembodied spirit always looking for a person body to live and abide in ...... Were Jesus Christ has the power to rip these demonic spirits out of people who believe and exercise authority against these demon spirits .......
Have you watched the original movie CARRIE?

Old 07-11-2017, 08:49 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheDog View Post
Then Jesus replied, "Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!" John 6:70

I never truly understood this. Judas was flesh, not a devil from what I understand.

My only rationing is satan possessed him. Kinda like what is going to happen with the future anti-christ

What say everyone?

I know this is the Christianity forum, so it goes without saying if you are not a Christian (meaning you DO NOT believe in all of the books of the Christian bible) then please refrain from answering my post since the thread isn't to debate the truth of Christianity, aka the Christian faith. Just wanted input from Christians on this topic. Thanks alot
The grammar of the Greek explains it. There is no "a/an" in Greek it is added in English when a word carries a thought of someone being a member of a class and having some of the characteristics of those in that class, in this case the devil and in effect what we call in English a Metaphor. The structure that is used is a PVPN (just as in John 1:1c. and many other scriptures).

It is like when we say about a nurse, she is an angel. She is not a spirit being but has qualities we associate with a good nurse. In the scripture it meant that one of the disciples was "like" the devil in that he was a betrayer, etc.

1228 dia,boloj diabolos {dee-ab'-ol-os}
Meaning: 1) prone to slander, slanderous, accusing falsely 1a) a calumniator, false accuser, slanderer, 2) metaph. applied to a man who, by opposing the cause of God, may be said to act the part of the devil or to side with him

Old 07-11-2017, 08:53 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheDog View Post

What say everyone?

The word used by John when he wrote it in Greek was "diabolos". It means "deceiver". It's translated to mean THE devil in other places, but it can also be used to describe a person, as in this instance. The point is that Jesus knew who he was...he knew he was a deceiver. He knew who he was and what he was about, and still chose him as the disciple because it served his purpose.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:55 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post

True, but most people live their lives unaware of these facts in ignorant bliss, as I did once. My prayer is that He opens EVERYONE'S spiritual eyes like He did mine, if ONLY FOR A MOMENT. Just a moment, Lord, that is all it would take. Peace

Old 07-11-2017, 11:00 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
I think it should have said, "And one of you HAS a devil." As Judas was said to at the Passover meal, when Satan entered him after the sop (Jewish custom to give the first piece to the guest of honor). If Satan entered him once, likely he did before, as his unrepentant heart was an open door through which he could come and go as he pleased. And it would be expected for Satan to be present at such an event, since he is part of the train of the King, and his servant. Note that Christ told him, "what you must do, do quickly".Peace

Old 07-13-2017, 02:41 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The grammar of the Greek explains it. There is no "a/an" in Greek it is added in English when a word carries a thought of someone being a member of a class and having some of the characteristics of those in that class, in this case the devil and in effect what we call in English a Metaphor. The structure that is used is a PVPN (just as in John 1:1c. and many other scriptures).

It is like when we say about a nurse, she is an angel. She is not a spirit being but has qualities we associate with a good nurse. In the scripture it meant that one of the disciples was "like" the devil in that he was a betrayer, etc.

1228 dia,boloj diabolos {dee-ab'-ol-os}
Meaning: 1) prone to slander, slanderous, accusing falsely 1a) a calumniator, false accuser, slanderer, 2) metaph. applied to a man who, by opposing the cause of God, may be said to act the part of the devil or to side with him
Forgot about the Greek word "epi"?...It is used to signify singularity or "a/an" in ancient Greek...

Old 07-13-2017, 11:51 AM

95 posts, read 73,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I think it should have said, "And one of you HAS a devil." As Judas was said to at the Passover meal, when Satan entered him after the sop (Jewish custom to give the first piece to the guest of honor). If Satan entered him once, likely he did before, as his unrepentant heart was an open door through which he could come and go as he pleased. And it would be expected for Satan to be present at such an event, since he is part of the train of the King, and his servant. Note that Christ told him, "what you must do, do quickly".Peace
I agree. Thanks for everyone's answers so far. I've greened some people too.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:01 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Forgot about the Greek word "epi"?...It is used to signify singularity or "a/an" in ancient Greek...
Ancient Greek and Biblical Greek are a bit different. Can you give a NT example of the sue of "epi" so we can examine the meaning and use and how it may differ from a PVPN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity