Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 03:55 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
I believe God exists, but I'd be feel more confident if I knew that I can handle whatever comes my way. I feel,I can't handle anything right now. I'm not confident that if I trust in God, things will be ok. Because in this life bad things happen to good,people,all the time.

Here's the deal. My husband passed away 2 months ago today. He was a very strong presence in my life. Now I am petrified being on my own. I have many opsticals in my life right now going on. I'm choosing not to list them. And I am petrified. I tell myself to trust in God but the thought comes to my mind that there are many horrors in this world,that happen to the best of Christians.

My fear is depressing me. I would just want to hear some encouragement right now,that would,strengthen my mind and help,me to deal with life.

Thanks for your replies.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you have family and friends you can lean on, as well. Grief has it's own bag of tricks without any other obstacles to go with it, so don't be reticent to get whatever form of help that is available to you, including talking to someone who handles depression. If you have material needs, go talk to someone who works for the county: they usually have lists of places to go for various needs to be met, and even for free clinics if you need medical care that may not be able to afford. There literally is SOMEONE out there, to help with every problem. Don't let them overwhelm you, take one at a time and knock it off your list.

I've suffered a loss too recently, and this is something I've found on my own that helps. Try to force yourself if need be, to do one positive thing for yourself every day that takes your focus off your pain. And by, for yourself, I don't necessarily mean something that only profits you, because the best profit is to do for others.

Stay focused on that one thing as long as you can stretch it out. I've suffered a loss too, and the best way I can describe this is, that it "short circuits" what you'd "normally" be doing, ie. grieving, so you have some mental and emotional respite, even if for a short time. Eventually, you'll find your focus getting longer and longer. Nothing can replace your loss, no words from anyone will ever be adequate, no words of your own can ever fully express what it feels like, but know and believe that there are people out there who can and will help. May His blessings come upon you and overtake you in your hour of need. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 09:51 PM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
How can we put our trust in God if He allows so much horror in this world.

Your thoughts please. Thanks
We can't play God, and try to act like we're on the same level as God, to understand him. So that's mistake #1. It's not up to us to question how he and the universe work.

Man is good at finding pity and trying to write the rules and wanting to be in charge of fairness. Man wants to be on par with God (and maybe secretly, be above him). It's not going to happen. Accept your place in the hierarchy, and release yourself into peace. Understand that you and all of us will never know even a tiny percentage of what God knows. We might not even be able to handle it anyway.

A better question to ask is what is truly relevant to us: Why does man allow (and create) so much horror in the world? If we aren't fully engaged in that question, and not constantly aware of and asking about that, then we have no reason to dump the question on God.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's not up to us to question how he and the universe work.
Excuse me, Why not?

Old 07-25-2017, 11:24 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
I believe God exists, but I'd be feel more confident if I knew that I can handle whatever comes my way. I feel,I can't handle anything right now. I'm not confident that if I trust in God, things will be ok. Because in this life bad things happen to good,people,all the time.

Here's the deal. My husband passed away 2 months ago today. He was a very strong presence in my life. Now I am petrified being on my own. I have many opsticals in my life right now going on. I'm choosing not to list them. And I am petrified. I tell myself to trust in God but the thought comes to my mind that there are many horrors in this world,that happen to the best of Christians.

My fear is depressing me. I would just want to hear some encouragement right now,that would,strengthen my mind and help,me to deal with life.

Thanks for your replies.
I offer a prayer for you, sister, and here is a song I hope bolsters your courage. I don't know how God will make your bad times right, but I will trust Him for you until you get to the place where you can find your own trust again. God bless you when you don't feel blessed, and God loves you when you don't feel loved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCTl4tUYIAg

Life is easy, when you're up on the mountain
And you've got peace of mind, like you've never known
But things change, when you're down in the valley
Don't lose faith, for your never alone

For the God on the mountain, is still God in the valley
When things go wrong, he'll make them right
And the God of the good times, is still God in the bad times
The God of the day, is still God in the night
We talk of faith way up on the mountain
But talk comes easy, when life's at its best
Now its down in the valleys, trials and temptations
That's where your faith is really put to the test

For the God on the mountain, is still God in the valley,
When things go wrong, he'll make them right
And the God of the good times, is still God in the bad times

Old 07-25-2017, 11:33 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
And a second song I'll listen to every night for the next week, and think of you Ms. Marble cake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r-CR-rdB28

1. Does Jesus care when my heart is pained
    Too deeply for mirth or song,
    As the burdens press, and the cares distress,
    And the way grows weary and long?
    • Refrain:
      Oh, yes, He cares, I know He cares,
      His heart is touched with my grief;
      When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,
      I know my Savior cares.
  2. Does Jesus care when my way is dark
    With a nameless dread and fear?
    As the daylight fades into deep night shades,
    Does He care enough to be near?
  3. Does Jesus care when I’ve tried and failed
    To resist some temptation strong;
    When for my deep grief there is no relief,
    Though my tears flow all the night long?
  4. Does Jesus care when I’ve said “goodbyeâ€
    To the dearest on earth to me,
    And my sad heart aches till it nearly breaks—
    Is it aught to Him? Does He see?
Oh, yes, He cares, I know He cares,
His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,
I know my Savior cares.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:48 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
How can we put our trust in God if He allows so much horror in this world.

Your thoughts please. Thanks
Take a good look at this photo:

(UNICEF public domain photo)

Then realize that 21,000 children like these die each day of poverty, hunger, thirst, easily preventable diseases and illnesses. That's 9.2 MILLION deaths each year. This number doesn't even take into account those children who die of diseases such as cancer, natural disasters called "Acts of God", violence, sex-related abuse, child slavery and preventable accidents.

Now recall that Sunday school song, "Yes, Jesus loves me. Little ones to him belong. They are weak but he is strong".

REALLY!

Next time you get on your knees to pray, please send up a prayer for these little victims who God could help if He truly wanted to but for some strange reason chooses not to.

WHY?

Because Adam sinned and we live in a fallen world, so God takes it out on the most vulnerable.

PS I read the rest of your posts. I am so very very sorry for your loss. You must be strong for YOU. No one outside of family is going to help you through this other than grief counselors. Please take advantage of them. I do believe in God but as you have said we simply have no good reasons to believe He will ride to our rescue when tragedy strikes. You have to accept the reality of that statement.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 07-26-2017 at 12:00 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 04:18 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,725 times
Too soon trill

Old 07-26-2017, 06:15 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
I believe God exists, but I'd be feel more confident if I knew that I can handle whatever comes my way.
I feel,I can't handle anything right now.

Here's the deal. My husband passed away 2 months ago today. He was a very strong presence in my life. Now I am petrified being on my own.
My fear is depressing me.
Well, I would have posted differently had I known this, sorry.
It sounds exactly like my sister, whose husband of 48 years died exactly 2 days ago 4 months ago...
MDs missed Sepsis from a simple infection.
Can't be alone, is filled with dread, loss, fear and mourning,
so is moving 2000 miles to live with me now.

I understand the fear. Do I ever. It is a necessity for you to feel. It will be the very thing that will
propel you to go beyond it...tho, that sounds strange now...a 'necessity'?
It will be that suffering that will make you go to a place of deep inner strength you may not
have otherwise known you'd had in you or existed!
I say...Ask God for guidance and to give you the clarity of understanding of what this is all about.
Give him an opening to fill you..that part is important.
Our words might help a bit...but it will be an inner revelation from above that will transport you
to a place of peace, trust and wisdom.
Pray with the hope and confident expectation of an answer, sis.
He can give you insights undreamed of...in a second.
Best wishes. ❤️

Old 07-26-2017, 06:20 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Too soon trill
I have never read a more inappropriate post in my life.
I'm glad you said something Mr. Amalekite....I will not be
reading your posts, Thrill.
Take care. (Sorry, if it sounds harsh.)

Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have never read a more inappropriate post in my life.
I'm glad you said something Mr. Amalekite....I will not be
reading your posts, Thrill.
Take care. (Sorry, if it sounds harsh.)
Well, you might not read this, Miss Hepburn. I did clarify I hadn't read the rest of the posts and did not know of the tragedy that had befallen Miss marble. If i had I would have posted differently. Her emphasis in Op was how can she trust in God, no reason given, so I tried to demonstrate there IS no good reason to trust in God for deliverance. If God isn't going to deliver these poor innocent suffering children then how can we trust him to deliver adults in the throes of doubt? But if my post offended I apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity