Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 03:48 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually, Jesus IS God. He does not tempt, and no--us "Fundamentalists" do not claim that he isn't forgiving.
He died on a cross so we could be forgiven!
I gave you a rep when I meant to press the quote button! Ha!
Did Jesus tell you he was God? Where did you get that idea from?
I am one of those people that really respect direct contact ...rather than hearsay..
also correct grammar . 'we fundamentalists".
I will admit it gets cloudy separating the 2...like an old married couple that complete each other's sentences! Where does one end and the other begin!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 03:49 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Absolutely correct. The thought that God would ever tempt someone to sin is preposterous, since sinning only distances us from Him. He wants us to draw close to Him, and would never do anything to cause the opposite to happen. He does, on the other hand, allow trials to come into our lives. It is by learning to rely on Him for strength that we are able to overcome the challenges we experience throughout our lives and ultimately become everything He wants us to become.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:55 PM

If God would not tempt someone to sin...what was Abraham and his son all about?
Is the story a metaphor and never happened?
Or was God Himself young in his earthly experience with these humans? A new creation?
So He did tempt them eons ago?

Old 08-11-2017, 03:57 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I gave you a rep when I meant to press the quote button! Ha!
Did Jesus tell you he was God? Where did you get that idea from?
The bible. It's all over the NT. Colossians 1, the 7 "I AM" statements of John, the reaction of the Jews to try to stone him when he said it, his statement in Revelation 1, the fact that he was worshiped in Rev 5 in the same way by the same heavenly host that worshiped God in Rev 4.....

Quote:

I am one of those people that really respect direct contact ...rather than hearsay..
also correct grammar . 'we fundamentalists".
I will admit it gets cloudy separating the 2...like an old married couple that complete each other's sentences! Where does one end and the other begin!?
Thankfully, we have the very word of God. In fact, we have direct quotes from Jesus claiming to BE God.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The bible. It's all over the NT. Colossians 1, the 7 "I AM" statements of John, the reaction of the Jews to try to stone him when he said it, his statement in Revelation 1, the fact that he was worshiped in Rev 5 in the same way by the same heavenly host that worshiped God in Rev 4.....
Thankfully, we have the very word of God. In fact, we have direct quotes from Jesus claiming to BE God.
We also have stories in the Bible of Jesus praying and calling out to the Father.
Perhaps when Jesus made reference to being one with the Father he could have been
meaning something else? As in, a deeper meaning there?
I have often felt one with the Father.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
If God would not tempt someone to sin...what was Abraham and his son all about?
Is the story a metaphor and never happened?
Or was God Himself young in his earthly experience with these humans? A new creation?
So He did tempt them eons ago?
Not a tempt, a test.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Abraham-Isaac.html

Old 08-11-2017, 04:12 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Trying to get someone to kill their child sounds like a "tempt" to me, and a really sick and disturbing one.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:17 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
And the difference is what?

There hath no temptation taken hold of you but such as is common to man. But God is faithful; He will not suffer you to be tempted beyond that which ye are able to bear, but with the temptation will also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

13 Every test that you have experienced is the kind that normally comes to people. But God keeps his promise, and he will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the time you are put to the test, he will give you the strength to endure it, and so provide you with a way out.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And the difference is what?

There hath no temptation taken hold of you but such as is common to man. But God is faithful; He will not suffer you to be tempted beyond that which ye are able to bear, but with the temptation will also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

13 Every test that you have experienced is the kind that normally comes to people. But God keeps his promise, and he will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the time you are put to the test, he will give you the strength to endure it, and so provide you with a way out.
Tempting to sin vs. testing faith.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Trying to get someone to kill their child sounds like a "tempt" to me, and a really sick and disturbing one.
https://www.gotquestions.org/Abraham-Isaac.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity