Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:09 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times

Advertisements

Like other questions this came up from what someone here said.
What do you believe?
100% I do not in any way think or believe Jesus is tempting me or testing me (I hear so often) in any
way what-so-ever.

He even brought that up himself, funny that just popped in my head ....on the world stage....
he even said to 'our Father'...lead us not into temptation...
Not only did he want us to overcome temptation...he didn't even want us NEAR temptation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 10:22 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
God doesn't tempt anyone to sin, but He does bring tests into the lives of believers. Testing in the sense of testing a muscle with exercise in order to strengthen it. Tests are designed to strengthen the believer so that he grows spiritually.
Absolutely correct. The thought that God would ever tempt someone to sin is preposterous, since sinning only distances us from Him. He wants us to draw close to Him, and would never do anything to cause the opposite to happen. He does, on the other hand, allow trials to come into our lives. It is by learning to rely on Him for strength that we are able to overcome the challenges we experience throughout our lives and ultimately become everything He wants us to become.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It is by learning to rely on Him for strength that we are able to overcome the challenges we experience throughout our lives and ultimately become everything He wants us to become.
I like that sentence.
Life circumstances help us to learn and grow...sorry no test from Jesus.
Is cancer a test?
is hitting my thumb a test?
Is being robbed a test...so we develop faith in God?...was it set up by Jesus, in other words?
Um, I say it was not...it was ourselves and our believes, our thoughts...we sow what we reap with our own fears and where we place our attention.
Jesus wants us healed, healthy, abundant in every way,period.
He showed that while here...as I see it.

Is there an impersonal System on auto-pilot set up from the beginning of sowing and
reaping...yes; as impersonal as gravity.
But, Jesus at the right hand of the Father...testing me with bad boyfriends, deaths,
falling off my bike...come on!
That's all MY stuff.
A little rant...

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 08-11-2017 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 10:39 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,048,478 times
What do you think "Choose ye this day whom ye will serve", is? Yes He does test us. Job should have cleared that up for anyone, if the garden didn't. Bread that is not baked in the fire of affliction/testing as steel is tested/tempered for strength, is not fit to eat, much less to feed the nations with.

And before anybody brings it up, the scripture about "let no man say when he is tempted he is tempted of G-d", does not mean that He doesn't test us, it means that the temptation to sin is not G-d's spirit within you.

Anybody notice that when Jesus said to Peter that Satan desired to sift him like wheat, He didn't add, "But I stopped him"? No, He said instead, "But I have prayed for you that your faith faileth not." Peace

Last edited by Rbbi1; 08-11-2017 at 11:29 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Like other questions this came up from what someone here said.
What do you believe?
100% I do not in any way think or believe Jesus is tempting me or testing me (I hear so often) in any
way what-so-ever.

He even brought that up himself, funny that just popped in my head ....on the world stage....
he even said to 'our Father'...lead us not into temptation...
Not only did he want us to overcome temptation...he didn't even want us NEAR temptation!
No. God does not tempt. James said that.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No. God does not tempt. James said that.
He did?
Goody...do you rem where? Thanks

Old 08-11-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
He did?
Goody...do you rem where? Thanks
Sorry....should have quoted the exact reference when I commented earlier.

James 1:13. "Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,†for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one."

Old 08-11-2017, 02:48 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
What do you think "Choose ye this day whom ye will serve", is? Yes He does test us. Job should have cleared that up for anyone, if the garden didn't. Bread that is not baked in the fire of affliction/testing as steel is tested/tempered for strength, is not fit to eat, much less to feed the nations with.

And before anybody brings it up, the scripture about "let no man say when he is tempted he is tempted of G-d", does not mean that He doesn't test us, it means that the temptation to sin is not G-d's spirit within you.

Anybody notice that when Jesus said to Peter that Satan desired to sift him like wheat, He didn't add, "But I stopped him"? No, He said instead, "But I have prayed for you that your faith faileth not." Peace
I recall in the OLD Testament passages and allegorical stories that God DID in deed TEST... Abraham and Isaac test~~

https://www.thoughtco.com/abraham-an...summary-700079
ABRAHAM AND ISAAC - STORY SUMMARY
Quote:
The sacrifice of Isaac put Abraham to his most agonizing test, a trial which he passed completely because of his total faith in God.

God told Abraham, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about." (Genesis 22:2, NIV)

Abraham took Isaac, two servants and a donkey and set off on the 50 mile journey. When they arrived, Abraham ordered the servants to wait with the donkey while he and Isaac went up the mountain. He told the men, "We will worship and then we will come back to you." (Genesis 22:5b, NIV)
Point is Jesus became the spokesperson for God thru the New Testament... and once again he represented a NEW way to seek repentance.... For some Jesus was not adopted as the "SON of God". but the point was made that repentance is what's important.. and above all treat others as you want to be treated. Innocent's should never be held accountable as they are Innocent ( Children and other un-educated ones) .. These will be judged in the after life.

While I attended child, was confirmed and did teach Sunday School to 8-10 year olds.. I sure did attempt to teach the "Message" of the Bible " (Allegory-Bible stories) and tried to help them unstained them in their age bracket understandings!!

God is Love.. But for heavens sake... I do wish "Fundementalist's" would stop with doomsday messaging that GOD is unforgiving!!!!

AS Human's we are always tempted.. almost daily.. It always comes down to SELF-CNTROL and Doing the Right THING Unselfishly. Far too many roam this earth with agenda of Personal gain of POWER and GREED! Simply look at the 10 Commandments .. They say it all!!

Old 08-11-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I recall in the OLD Testament passages and allegorical stories that God DID in deed TEST... Abraham and Isaac test~~

https://www.thoughtco.com/abraham-an...summary-700079
ABRAHAM AND ISAAC - STORY SUMMARY

Point is Jesus became the spokesperson for God thru the New Testament... and once again he represented a NEW way to seek repentance.... For some Jesus was not adopted as the "SON of God". but the point was made that repentance is what's important.. and above all treat others as you want to be treated. Innocent's should never be held accountable as they are Innocent ( Children and other un-educated ones) .. These will be judged in the after life.

While I attended child, was confirmed and did teach Sunday School to 8-10 year olds.. I sure did attempt to teach the "Message" of the Bible " (Allegory-Bible stories) and tried to help them unstained them in their age bracket understandings!!

God is Love.. But for heavens sake... I do wish "Fundementalist's" would stop with doomsday messaging that GOD is unforgiving!!!!

AS Human's we are always tempted.. almost daily.. It always comes down to SELF-CNTROL and Doing the Right THING Unselfishly. Far too many roam this earth with agenda of Personal gain of POWER and GREED! Simply look at the 10 Commandments .. They say it all!!
Actually, Jesus IS God. He does not tempt, and no--us "Fundamentalists" do not claim that he isn't forgiving. He died on a cross so we could be forgiven!

Old 08-11-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I recall in the OLD Testament passages and
allegorical stories that God DID in deed TEST... Abraham and Isaac test~~

Point is, Jesus became the spokesperson for God thru the New Testament... and once again he represented a NEW way to seek repentance.... For some Jesus was not adopted as the "SON of God".
but the point was made that repentance is what's important.. and above all treat others as you want to be treated.
Innocent's should never be held accountable as they are Innocent
( Children and other un-educated ones) .. These will be judged in the after life.

While I attended children, was confirmed and did teach Sunday School to 8-10 year olds..
I sure did attempt to teach the "Message" of the Bible " (Allegory-Bible stories) and tried to help them unstain them in their age bracket understandings!!

AS Human's we are always tempted.. almost daily.. It always comes down to SELF-CONTROL
and Doing the Right THING Unselfishly.
Far too many roam this earth with an agenda of Personal gain of POWER and GREED!
Simply look at the 10 Commandments .. They say it all!!
Aren't you a nice addition to the group!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity