Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 02:21 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
I am not very religious, but I am Catholic and go to Mass on all Holy Days of Obligation. I have some friends who know somebody who is Episcopalian but goes to Catholic Mass because none of his religion's churches are nearby and he receives Communion. This deeply upsets my friends who are super religious and go to Mass every single day and fast beforehand. They have been obsessing over it for the past month, and they are currently on their way to the other guy's home to confront him about it and try to force him to stop receiving Communion. If that doesn't work they are going to go to the parish priest before Mass on Sunday and tell him to refuse to give this guy Communion. Their actions are pissing me off. I am holding my tongue because I don't eat to upset them and lose friends, but I believe that if this guy believes in God (which he does) and wants to receive Communion he should be allowed to. I believe my friends have no right whatsoever to dictate this guy's actions. I am furious to the point where I am thinking about texting this guy and warning him what he is about to face but I am not getting involved. I love my friends to death, but in this instance, I don't believe they could be any wronger.
I went to a Catholic University and had to take theology. It was actually harder for me than physics (LOL). But the one word that stands out in my memory for situations like this is... ecumenism.

You seem to be concerned with ecumenism, which is a path of outreach the Pope has taken. I think you are on the right track.

Realistically, most Catholics I knew in North FL wound up marrying Protestants. So the "ecumenism" angle needs to be explored under the context of realism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 02:31 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
That's where I see confusion.
Why would I confess my sins to a priest of the rcc
Hierarchy.?
When I am to be a priest.

I thought a person that had sinned, would go to the person they sinned against and reconcile. And like wise If sinned against a person would inform the other of such. And then there is further councel If need be. If the person is made aware of such sin. Then a reconcilliation is a good thing. And Glory is given to Yeshua.

If they chose not to forgive, it is in the Lord's hands.
And a person having partook of the bread and wine, allows the High priest to work out the rest.

Just going up to complete stranger and relieving some form of guilt is an insult to Yeshua.

When it's is the Lords very teaching to go and be reconciled.

These are the basic precepts.
If you really believe in reconciliation then you know the priest is not the one who is forgiving you, it is Christ.The priest is just acting in Persona Christi, in place of the Lord. Yes you sinned against your neighbor but you also sinned against Christ. Go and make amends to both.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I went to a Catholic University and had to take theology. It was actually harder for me than physics (LOL). But the one word that stands out in my memory for situations like this is... ecumenism.

You seem to be concerned with ecumenism, which is a path of outreach the Pope has taken. I think you are on the right track.

Realistically, most Catholics I knew in North FL wound up marrying Protestants. So the "ecumenism" angle needs to be explored under the context of realism.
My sister has been married to non-Catholic for over 50 years but he has never gone to communion and would not unless he joined the church.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:40 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
If you really believe in reconciliation then you know the priest is not the one who is forgiving you, it is Christ.The priest is just acting in Persona Christi, in place of the Lord. Yes you sinned against your neighbor but you also sinned against Christ. Go and make amends to both.
Why not follow I John 1:9 and confess to the only One who can forgive and cleanse? Not only that, God does not impose penance. Since God does not impose penance, man has no authority to do so.

Last edited by omega2xx; 10-13-2017 at 05:20 AM..

Old 10-13-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
That's where I see confusion.
Why would I confess my sins to a priest of the rcc
Hierarchy.?
When I am to be a priest.

I thought a person that had sinned, would go to the person they sinned against and reconcile. And like wise If sinned against a person would inform the other of such. And then there is further councel If need be. If the person is made aware of such sin. Then a reconcilliation is a good thing. And Glory is given to Yeshua.

If they chose not to forgive, it is in the Lord's hands.
And a person having partook of the bread and wine, allows the High priest to work out the rest.

Just going up to complete stranger and relieving some form of guilt is an insult to Yeshua.

When it's is the Lords very teaching to go and be reconciled.

These are the basic precepts.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
A Roman Catholic would say that Jesus granted the Church the keys to the kingdom, and the power to forgive/absolve sins.

Mind you, I'm not a Catholic -- I have a different understanding.
That was not given to the church, it was given to the original apostles and IMO, God also gave them special insights as to what was sin and the ability to determine if the person's confession was sincere.

A confession that is done from duty or religious rules may not be sincere and would be of no value in being forgiven.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post

The problem with ecumenism is that the RCC is not willing to give up any of its doctrines. The Protestants must give up all of heir doctrines and accept the non-Biblical doctrines of Catholicism. While some denominations may be willing to do that, conservatie denominations never will.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I am Catholic and have not received communion in years because I have not gone to confession in 11 years and have missed masses, and have other sins on my conscience. That said, when I go to mass and see 90% of the people there receive communion, I think at least half of them should not be but they are embarrassed to sit it out like I do. I think it is a sin to receive communion when you have sins. So, as people look at me with that look (what had he done that is so bad to not be able to receive?), I dont care. I haven't done anything more than some bad language, missed mass on more than one occasion, lied here and there, etc, those are all reasons not to receive.

The OPs friend should ask his church pastor and the Catholic priest if he should be receiving communion or not. If eithervsays it is not ok, then it is not ok. Simple answer.
It is not up to the pastors or the priest to determine who is qualified. It is up to the person.

In conservative churches, th pastor will tell what the denominations rules are for taking communion. In Presbyterian church it i that the person be a member in good standing in Bilble--beliving church. Then the pastor will read the wawrning in I Cor 11:27.

Now each individual is responsible for their decision to participate or not

Old 10-13-2017, 05:43 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
I am not very religious, but I am Catholic and go to Mass on all Holy Days of Obligation. I have some friends who know somebody who is Episcopalian but goes to Catholic Mass because none of his religion's churches are nearby and he receives Communion. This deeply upsets my friends who are super religious and go to Mass every single day and fast beforehand. They have been obsessing over it for the past month, and they are currently on their way to the other guy's home to confront him about it and try to force him to stop receiving Communion. If that doesn't work they are going to go to the parish priest before Mass on Sunday and tell him to refuse to give this guy Communion. Their actions are pissing me off. I am holding my tongue because I don't eat to upset them and lose friends, but I believe that if this guy believes in God (which he does) and wants to receive Communion he should be allowed to. I believe my friends have no right whatsoever to dictate this guy's actions. I am furious to the point where I am thinking about texting this guy and warning him what he is about to face but I am not getting involved. I love my friends to death, but in this instance, I don't believe they could be any wronger.
My church allows anyone to receive communion and so far nobody has burst into flames or been struck down by a lightning bolt.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:52 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,333,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
My church allows anyone to receive communion and so far nobody has burst into flames or been struck down by a lightning bolt.

which I would imagine we would both agree is a very good thing indeed for all concerned in your church, my church, and/or most likely anyone else's, too. that said, there is NOTHING in the official teaching or belief of Catholics (and most likely ditto for the Orthodox as well) that says ANYTHING about such things happening as a result of the "unworthy" reception of the Eucharist by Catholics OR non-Catholics. there are a lot of stories, ideas, traditions, and beliefs ("pious speculation") about this and that within the Church but again that's basically someone's personal understanding on respect for and devotion to the "Blessed Sacrament" BUT in many if not most cases it's NOT the policy and belief of the Catholic Church or it's "staff, management, and sponsors" LOL.

OTOH, Catholics and Orthodox believe such things MAY have an adverse effect on the relationship between someone who does receive without "discerning the body.." and becomes "being guilty of the body and blood of the Lord" and so on but in that case it may be no different then the spiritual or other penalties we may receive here or hereafter when we do other things that might be spiritually or morally problematic (the word "sin" has been used for SOME of such actions)---whatever happens (or doesn't happen) IS ultimately in God's hands and He's the One (or so most all Christians Catholics or otherwise believe) Who "searches all hearts" to really know what is deserving of reward---or otherwise.

perhaps we should ALL hope and pray that God will be merciful and understanding of ALL our various and sundry faults and failings and that Jesus will say of ALL of us everywhere with all our various and often conflicting understandings of the Eucharist, Communion, Lord's Supper, Divine Mystery, etc. , "Forgive them for they KNOW NOT what they do..."

in the peace of Christ.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 10-13-2017 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity