Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 01:20 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Gt off your high horse. Christians understand the Lord's supper as well as Catholics do, maybe better. Does your priests read the warning in I Cor 11:27. The Lord's table is not for Catholics only, It is for all Christians. It was not meant to be closed.

If you want to believe the elements are the literal body and blood of Jesus, that is your choice but the Bib le does not say it is. When Jesus said those things, He was using metaphors. However the only requirement for taking the Lords supper is to remember the Lord's death until He returns, not on an interpretation of a passage in the Bible.

Not necessary. The Bible tells me all I need to know.

But you say you don't believe the Eucharist is the true body, blood, soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ but if you go to communion at a Catholic mass you are saying you do believe it and you are in full communion with the Catholic church, that is the point, I am just agreeing with you that you do not believe it, as you say. Why get mad when I am agreeing with you?

Also, if you won't listen to the videos I posted then you don't want to learn about the Catholic communion but I can't make you listen so we are talking about two different things. Shrug.

Last edited by janelle144; 09-23-2017 at 01:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
Then join a church and they will put you to work big time helping the orphans and widows. Churches are the biggest charities in the world. They can use an extra hand.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm an Episcopalian who married into a devout Catholic family. My wife eventually became Episcopalian and our children were all baptized and confirmed into the Episcopal faith.

Nevertheless, when we visit, we attend a Catholic mass at the insistence of the in-laws. I do not take communion, instead opting for a blessing. But, personally, I cannot help but be annoyed whenever I do, for excluding anyone from the Eucharist is a petty and legalistic act, the very thing Christ warned us about when criticizing the Pharisees. It is about the most unchristian action I can imagine.

Transubstantiation, consubstantiation, who cares? The notion of transubstantiation doesn't have a scriptural basis, instead being lifted wholesale from the Greek mystery cults.
So then you do believe communion is the true body, blood, soul and divinity of our Lord? Episcopalians are so close to Catholics in worship, etc. only a few doctrines are different that many are now joining the Catholic church, maybe you can think about joining as well then you can go to communion with your Catholic side of the family and be one as Christ wants us to all be one. That would be amazing.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Do you realize that a Catholic believes that to take the eucharist wrongly, God might kill that person? Or that the host is actually the flesh and blood of God?

Why would they, if they reverence it that much, allow it to be abused by someone taking it in a wrong way? Or that they'd allow you to take it, believing you could be killed by God for it?

Is there ANYTHING about your home that you expect of guests? Do you tell them to take off their shoes as they enter? Or do you not get upset if they track mud in on your carpet? Do you expect guests to show ANY respect for your home and your ways?
Well one could lose their soul if taking communion wrongly, if you know you are doing it. Like in mortal sin which must be forgiven to enter heaven. That is why Catholics must confess any mortal sins before they can take the Eucharist. If they do not it is adding another mortal sin on top of the one they have already.

Priests are lenient when people who are ignorant of that facts of Catholic communion, go ahead and give communion to them since it is done innocently. They go up to communion and the priest knows they are out of their comfort zone like they don't know what to do. It's only the ones who do it arrogantly and the priest knows they are just trying to prove a point that it is refused but only for their sake, one cannot mock God who reads what is in our hearts and why we are doing what we do.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:53 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Is that actually true????????

Is this a joke?

Bible literalists believe something similar too.

For the one eating and drinking not discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself.

So i personally do not understand their gripe about what the Catholics believe about their version of communion.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:38 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
How else are the "leaders" to control their "flock?"

The properly teaching them whagt od says in His word.

Itg is not the duty of the leaders to control. Their duty is to teach.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Yeah, but I'm not sure how else to explain it.
When I say "religion" I'm referring to this:
Religion, to me, is a system. A set of laws, doctrines, beliefs, customs, traditions one must conform to, in order to be accepted by God. And in some, (even a LOT) of cases... to be accepted by your fellow man.
Being accepted by God does not depend on anything we do. It is based on what we believe, especially about Jesus, the Christ.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
But you say you don't believe the Eucharist is the true body, blood, soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ but if you go to communion at a Catholic mass you are saying you do believe it and you are in full communion with the Catholic church, that is the point, I am just agreeing with you that you do not believe it, as you say. Why get mad when I am agreeing with you?
Explaining my position does not mean I am mad. Whether the elements are literally Jesus body or symbolic is irrelevant. The only thing that is important about the Lord's supper is that we take it in a worthy manner.

Quote:
Also, if you won't listen to the videos I posted then you don't want to learn about the Catholic communion but I can't make you listen so we are talking about two different things. Shrug.
I know the Catholic theology about the Lord's supper. I don't need to see a video. The video would not change my theology on the subject.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Well one could lose their soul if taking communion wrongly, if you know you are doing it. Like in mortal sin which must be forgiven to enter heaven. That is why Catholics must confess any mortal sins before they can take the Eucharist. If they do not it is adding another mortal sin on top of the one they have already.

Priests are lenient when people who are ignorant of that facts of Catholic communion, go ahead and give communion to them since it is done innocently. They go up to communion and the priest knows they are out of their comfort zone like they don't know what to do. It's only the ones who do it arrogantly and the priest knows they are just trying to prove a point that it is refused but only for their sake, one cannot mock God who reads what is in our hearts and why we are doing what we do.
The Bible does not make any sin mortal. All sins can be forgiven by confession to God, not to a priest.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:13 AM

8,179 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:

So much fear, so much control.....

This is NOT what Jesus preached.
In fact, this is what he spoke out AGAINST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity