Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 04:10 PM

56 posts, read 94,691 times

Advertisements

It means exactly what Paul said. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law.

Despite the delusions of the Pharisees and the Judaizer "Christians" who frequent this board the law cannot bring about righteousness. Cutting off your limbs, giving everything, etc. just show the futility of trying to keep the old covenant. Even if you did those things, and most don't, you still won't make it . As Mystic correctly stated, he who loves his fellow man has fulfilled the law.

I mean, it is almost the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. You would think we could learn from the past.
Simul Justus et Peccator Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 10:50 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,808,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Wrong. I am trying to get people to actually focus on being considerate of others by taking the focus OFF obedience. When your focus is on obedience, that is a self-centered state of mind focused on gaining approval from God for doing what you think He wants you to do. The focus is NOT on the love of God and each other which is what God ACTUALLY wants from us.
Thats not my understanding of obedience.

Loving God with all my heart, and my neighbors as myself.

If i hear and understand. The obedience is actually a part of the actions i take toward my neighbors.

…30and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.” 32“Right, Teacher,” the scribe replied. “You have stated correctly that God is One and there is no other but Him,…

You shall commit no injustice in judgment; you shall not favor a poor person or respect a great man; you shall judge your fellow with righteousness.
You shall not go around as a gossipmonger amidst your people. You shall not stand by [the shedding of] your fellow's blood. I am the Lord.
You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your fellow, but you shall not bear a sin on his account.

Leviticus 19:18
'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD.

Last edited by pinacled; 09-18-2017 at 11:24 AM..

Old 09-18-2017, 12:25 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
You are not a considerate person.
you just might not be an insightful person?

Old 09-18-2017, 12:46 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRR View Post
It means exactly what Paul said. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law.

Despite the delusions of the Pharisees and the Judaizer "Christians" who frequent this board the law cannot bring about righteousness. Cutting off your limbs, giving everything, etc. just show the futility of trying to keep the old covenant. Even if you did those things, and most don't, you still won't make it . As Mystic correctly stated, he who loves his fellow man has fulfilled the law.

I mean, it is almost the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. You would think we could learn from the past.
Simul Justus et Peccator Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift
You cannot hate (murder) a person (your neighbor), and call yourself a Christian.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:11 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Wrong. I am trying to get people to actually focus on being considerate of others by taking the focus OFF obedience. When your focus is on obedience, that is a self-centered state of mind focused on gaining approval from God for doing what you think He wants you to do. The focus is NOT on the love of God and each other which is what God ACTUALLY wants from us.
Quote:
Thats not my understanding of obedience.
Loving God with all my heart, and my neighbors as myself.
If i hear and understand. The obedience is actually a part of the actions i take toward my neighbors.

…30and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.” 32“Right, Teacher,” the scribe replied. “You have stated correctly that God is One and there is no other but Him,…

You shall commit no injustice in judgment; you shall not favor a poor person or respect a great man; you shall judge your fellow with righteousness.
You shall not go around as a gossipmonger amidst your people. You shall not stand by [the shedding of] your fellow's blood. I am the Lord.
You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your fellow, but you shall not bear a sin on his account.

Leviticus 19:18
'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD.
Obedience is a state of mind that is focused on the motive of pleasing (or not offending) the Source of the commands. That is a very different state of mind from one that is focused on the motive of love for all as the way to express love for the Source of the commands. "Whatsoever you do to these the least of my creatures you do to me."

Old 09-18-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Obedience is a state of mind that is focused on the motive of pleasing (or not offending) the Source of the commands. That is a very different state of mind from one that is focused on the motive of love for all as the way to express love for the Source of the commands. "Whatsoever you do to these the least of my creatures you do to me."
Love,?
Faith without works.

You are constantly just clinging to a single word. As if it were just a state of mind as you so describe.

For out of the heart proceeds the wells of gifts from the Holy Spirit. And the mind is overwhelmed of such.
Like cataracts flowing through and through cleansing all that the mind may have once tried to accomplish in its own power.

What is clearly seen, should not even be a discussion between you and i. This should already have been established with your being.

Yet you hear the word obey, and you cringe

1Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2“Honor your father and mother” (which is the first commandment with a promise), 3“that it may go well with you and that you may be long-lived on the earth.”

What more could i say to you mystic.
Have you not accepted Yeshua as your Lord and savior.

https://answersingenesis.org/jesus-c...hority-of-god/

\ a high priest who can fully be sympathetic and empathetic with our situation. “For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin” (Hebrews 4:15).

Last edited by pinacled; 09-18-2017 at 02:50 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 02:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
nope, they are standard self help stuff.

police your own first.
I do not have to sacrifice to the point of self destruction. "self" is not literal, things gnaw at a man's gut worse than death.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Love,?Faith without works.
You are constantly just clinging to a single word. As if it were just a state of mind as you so describe.
For out of the heart proceeds the wells of gifts from the Holy Spirit. And the mind is overwhelmed of such.
Like cataracts flowing through and through cleansing all that the mind may have once tried to accomplish in its own power.
What is clearly seen, should not even be a discussion between you and i. This should already have been established with your being.
Yet you hear the word obey, and you cringe

1Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2“Honor your father and mother” (which is the first commandment with a promise), 3“that it may go well with you and that you may be long-lived on the earth.”

What more could i say to you mystic.
Have you not accepted Yeshua as your Lord and savior.
https://answersingenesis.org/jesus-c...hority-of-god/
\ a high priest who can fully be sympathetic and empathetic with our situation. “For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin” (Hebrews 4:15).
Jesus was about as clear as He could be that we are NOT to place ANYONE in authority over us. No one is first and no one has more authority than anyone else. How this was translated into hierarchies, human -appointed prophets or apostles, and self-designated priests, etc. is a tribute to the perversity of humankind. Our relationship with God is NOT about authority or obedience, it is ALL about Agape love, period.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Jesus was about as clear as He could be that we are NOT to place ANYONE in authority over us. No one is first and no one has more authority than anyone else. How this was translated into hierarchies, human -appointed prophets or apostles, and self-designated priests, etc. is a tribute to the perversity of humankind. Our relationship with God is NOT about authority or obedience, it is ALL about Agape love, period.
I know.

Yet you are talking of judgement.

There are two estates to judge. And one witnesses true and equal between both.
And with a fine linen.
The truth girds the courageouse.

What power other than the royal law could you or i be a voice.

If not for the Word given in Heavenly Manna.

Such a gift is resticted with judges these days. With bribes,extortion, and a plateau of corruption the fallen ones pervert justice.
And so. Here in an internet forum the wages of war will be dealt to those who speak against the Most High.

Blessings to a man who ask with fortitude.
Blessings to those who keep fear for those who have none.
Blessings always in what should be a house full of joy

Old 09-18-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I know.

Yet you are talking of judgement.
There are two estates to judge. And one witnesses true and equal between both.
And with a fine linen.
The truth girds the courageouse.
What power other than the royal law could you or i be a voice.
If not for the Word given in Heavenly Manna.
Such a gift is resticted with judges these days. With bribes,extortion, and a plateau of corruption the fallen ones pervert justice.
And so. Here in an internet forum the wages of war will be dealt to those who speak against the Most High.
Blessings to a man who ask with fortitude.
Blessings to those who keep fear for those who have none.
Blessings always in what should be a house full of joy
No, pinacled, you and Rbbi are talking about judgment. I only acknowledge consequences because we will all reap EXACTLY what we sow. That is NOT judgment or punishment, but the only true justice. Nevertheless, we are saved as if by fire because of what Jesus did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity