Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 01:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Because they’re hypocrites. Most people don’t take the Bible literally. If so they would stone their neighbor for mowing his lawn on Sunday. It’s all a big game....
Nope as someone who actually reads the Bible would know such an act is no longer proper according to the ............. Bible. the problem is the ones who read in ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 01:54 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Um, correction . . .they would stone their neighbor for mowing his lawn on SATURDAY!
Well actually anytime after sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:00 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Of course it's your fault. You may have plenty of help but that doesn't make it moral. The PRIMARY opposition to gay marriage has always been prejudiced religionists whether Christian, Muslim, or Hindu. Just because many others do so in no way relieves you from the moral responsibility for being divisive in a manner Jesus never was.
Like all prejudiced bibliolators you think you can hide behind the Bible. In so doing you reject JESUS which makes you anything but Christian.
You are like the Pharisees in the gospels whom Jesus accused of loving only their own, not everyone; loving only their friends, not their enemies; rejecting doing what is right instead of treating everyone equally:

You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’
"If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Do not even tax collectors do the same?"

Your personal actions on EVERYTHING matters. That's what Jesus taught us about the responsibility of loving even our enemies.

Your ability to not see the parallels between racism and homophobism is despicable yet not surprising.
The "married" title you wish to retain for heterosexual unions is your attempt to maintain "first place" at the head of the table. Jesus told you that the LAST shall be first. Right now the last are those gay folks.

By putting emphasis on gender you call Paul a liar. He wrote in Galatians 3:27-29
Yet over and over you make it about gender. It should be all about Christ. It shouldn't be about Christian "rights." It shouldn't be about Christian "privilege." It shouldn't be about Christian "demands" on those who aren't Christian. It should be about love.
Preach it, Warden!

Old 11-14-2017, 03:05 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Of course it's your fault. You may have plenty of help but that doesn't make it moral. The PRIMARY opposition to gay marriage has always been prejudiced religionists whether Christian, Muslim, or Hindu. Just because many others do so in no way relieves you from the moral responsibility for being divisive in a manner Jesus never was.
Like all prejudiced bibliolators you think you can hide behind the Bible. In so doing you reject JESUS which makes you anything but Christian.
You reject the Bible, attack Christians and support immorality. I'm sorry, but I don't think you qualify as a
good source to gauge true Christianity.

Quote:

You are like the Pharisees in the gospels whom Jesus accused of loving only their own, not everyone; loving only their friends, not their enemies; rejecting doing what is right instead of treating everyone equally:

You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’
"If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Do not even tax collectors do the same?"

Your personal actions on EVERYTHING matters. That's what Jesus taught us about the responsibility of loving even our enemies.

Did Jesus campaign for gay rights? Yes or No.

Quote:

Your ability to not see the parallels between racism and homophobism is despicable yet not surprising.
The "married" title you wish to retain for heterosexual unions is your attempt to maintain "first place" at the head of the table. Jesus told you that the LAST shall be first. Right now the last are those gay folks.
Force fitting a comparison between the two is actually kinda insulting to the people who lived through the civil rights era. Are gays denied the right to vote? Told to drink from a different fountain? Not allowed at most restaurants? I don't think comparing someone who lived in a time where they feared for their live compares very well to griping because you can't get a wedding cake.

Quote:

The civil rights movement was about gaining voting rights, public accommodations, proper school funding for minority schools, etc. … People are more accepting of those in the [gay rights] struggle than they were of blacks and other minorities who were part of the civil rights movement. Look at any footage of the civil rights movement and notice the extreme amount of violence there. You see little if any of this in gay pride parades.
There is a big difference between fighting for rights as a gay person and fighting for rights as a person of color. People of color have no choice when it comes to letting everyone know the color of their skin is different. It’s a reality that exists day in and day out. The color of their skin is always out there for everyone to see.
Gays have not been refused the right to vote or use the same water fountain. They were not lynched en masse. They were not forced to the back of the bus.
https://www.birminghamtimes.com/2016...ghts-movement/

Quote:

By putting emphasis on gender you call Paul a liar. He wrote in Galatians 3:27-29
Yet over and over you make it about gender. It should be all about Christ. It shouldn't be about Christian "rights." It shouldn't be about Christian "privilege." It shouldn't be about Christian "demands" on those who aren't Christian. It should be about love.
Love does not mean embracing and encouraging people to continue in their life of sin. Do you love people who commit adultery, polygamy or incest? See all I have to do is replace your arguments with a lifestyle that you don't agree with, and your arguments fall flat on its face.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:26 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Aside from the fact that this forum does not tolerate telling anyone who claims to be a Christian that they are not a true Christian, you ARE being judgmental and it is NOT very Christ-centered or God-centered.
^^^^^^^^^
http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...christens.html Post#29

Quote:
Quote:
Preach it, Warden!
Oooops!!! Can you spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y?

Last edited by Michael Way; 11-14-2017 at 03:40 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Love does not mean embracing and encouraging people to continue in their life of sin.
Since Jesus reconciled us to God and God is NOT counting our sins against us, why are YOU counting the sins of others against them?????

Old 11-14-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
^^^^^^^^^
Oooops!!! Caught in another act of hypocrisy.
Are you saying that rejecting Jesus in favor of the Bible does NOT preclude being a Christian. Jesus is the central figure of Christianity. How can you be a Christian and reject Him???

Old 11-14-2017, 03:55 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
You reject the Bible, attack Christians and support immorality. I'm sorry, but I don't think you qualify as a good source to gauge true Christianity.
I reject the ugly parts of the Bible, like Jesus and Paul did--on more than one occasion. You call "Christianity" to be something Jesus never demonstrated---divisiveness. You have hijacked the name "Christianity" like you have hijacked the term "marriage." That's why true followers of Jesus are now "Jesus followers," so that we can show the sharp differences between the God-Man Jesus and your ugly, atrocious, murderous, genocidal god of the OT.

Quote:
Did Jesus campaign for gay rights? Yes or No.
He healed the servant of a centurion--and all the contextual evidence supports that servant was the recipient of homosexual activity from the centurion. (Luke 7:1-10; Matt. 8:5-13) Roman soldiers in foreign lands were forbidden to marry. Many of the wealthy bought young men to satisfy their sexual urges. I know you don't get this because it doesn't fit in with your "exclusiveness," nor your mindset that so called Christians are above the laws of the land and selective in whom they love as themselves.

So YES, in a fashion Jesus not only campaigned for gay "rights" (the right to live in society the same as you do, with the same privileges and opportunities).

Quote:
Force fitting a comparison between the two is actually kinda insulting to the people who lived through the civil rights era. Are gays denied the right to vote? Told to drink from a different fountain? Not allowed at most restaurants? I don't think comparing someone who lived in a time where they feared for their live compares very well to griping because you can't get a wedding cake.
https://www.birminghamtimes.com/2016...ghts-movement/
What a bunch of horse defecation this statement is. I LIVED in that era. I saw the discrimination and the "colored only" water fountains. And YES, racism is EXACTLY like your homophobia today--EXACTLY.

Quote:
They still can be fired from their non-Federal jobs in most states:
A 2013 Pew Research Center survey found 21% of LGBT adults had been discriminated against at their places of employment. Another conducted by the Williams Institute found 38.2% of openly LGBT people

The states that have failed to pass laws prohibiting employers from discriminating against their staff on a bigoted basis are predominantly in the South and Midwest, but also include Mid-Atlantic states such as Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
https://mic.com/articles/121496/one-...015#.3IF2yu5Gf
Quote:
About 10% of 662 lesbian, gay and bisexual workers who were randomly surveyed said they have been fired within the last five years due to their sexual preference, according to Laura Durso, director of LGBT Progress campaign at the Center for American Progress, a liberal think tank. And 26% of 6,450 transgender workers who participated in a non-random survey say they've been fired.
"In many states today it is legal for same sex couples to get married but to then be fired for getting married," she said.
How businesses can still discriminate against LGBT people - Jun. 26, 2015

Quote:
The Department of Justice has released sweeping guidance on religious liberty protections, opening the door for government-approved discrimination against LGBT people, women, and others. The breadth of the guidance is stunning—from the administration’s point of view, it’s legal for nearly any business to fire someone or deny a person services based on religious objections.
Jeff Sessions Just Made it Easier for Businesses to Discriminate Against LGBT People and Women – Mother Jones

Quote:
Love does not mean embracing and encouraging people to continue in their life of sin. Do you love people who commit adultery, polygamy or incest? See all I have to do is replace your arguments with a lifestyle that you don't agree with, and your arguments fall flat on its face.
My son is an alcoholic (recovering). While I did not support his lifestyle at that time, I loved him right through it--absolutely. And if I am to love others as I do myself, that means LOVING THOSE PEOPLE equally as my son.

My former brother-in-law (wife's side of the family) sexually abused his niece from the time she was nine until just before she was 13 and came to live with us. While I turned him into authorities when I found out (from her after she told our son of the same age), I visited him in prison, took him cigarettes (which I hate), and told him God still loves him. He spent five years in jail.

My ex-daughter-in-law committed adultery which drove our son to drink. I talked with her as their divorce was looming and told her that I did not hold that "sin" against her regardless of the number of people hurt--including her own child.

You support polygamy yourself--as long as it is one spouse at a time regardless of how many marriages take place. My brother-in-law on my father's side of the family married my sister after three previous failed marriages for everything but adultery. He has been faithful to her for nearly 30 years. What would be the purpose of pointing my finger at both of them and telling them they are living in "sin." In fact, both of them, particularly him, believe all the crap you do. And that's what is important to you--that they "believe" what you do even if they don't live it. Sort of like Roy Moore who will get elected in my home state of Alabama despite that even Republican leaders KNOW he acted biblically improper.

So don't tell me you believe the bible. You believe in your own self-righteousness. You've never stood for downtrodden, exploited people. You've never loved any but those who think like you do, and your finger is always pointing while you hiss.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:00 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
^^^^^^^^^

Oooops!!! Can you spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y?
As a full blown bibliolator hypocrisy is your middle name. You can't understand that Jesus revealed everything God wanted us to know about living a Christlike life. When the Bible doesn't fit in with the teachings of Jesus, then it is no more inspired than your posts.

Oooops!!!
The ONLY people who Jesus spoke harshly towards--were "bible believers" who didn't believe in living like Jesus.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:02 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Are you saying that rejecting Jesus in favor of the Bible does NOT preclude being a Christian. Jesus is the central figure of Christianity. How can you be a Christian and reject Him???
I'm saying that you are a hypocrite not only for not calling out Dresden for implying that the person he was addressing is not a Christian, but you actually told him to preach it and gave him a thumbs up, after having yourself implied that someone else did the same thing and then saying ''Aside from the fact that this forum does not tolerate telling anyone who claims to be a Christian that they are not a true Christian, you ARE being judgmental and it is NOT very Christ-centered or God-centered.''
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity