Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2018, 07:48 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
One thing I am sure of is that we have heard FAR more about Nazis and Hitler in this thread than would ever be necessary in a forum about Christianity.

Another thing I am sure of is that the forum posting rules tell us that anybody following Jesus Christ is considered a Christian in this forum. Outside of this forum, rules may vary.
I accept anyone as claiming to be a Christian.

Then I look to see if their claim is true based on their words and actions. Following Jesus does not mean walking away from him or rejecting what he has said. On the other hand I would not say someone was not a christian even if I believe he/she is not or is not truly walking the path but believe they are. I can be wrong too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 09:14 PM

11 posts, read 5,256 times
Default Behold the Lamb of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotles child View Post
According to the New Testament, who first claimed that Jesus was the Messiah? And when did was his name Simon changed to Peter?

Matthew 16:15
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah,[a] the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you, you are Peter,[b] and on this rock[c] I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he sternly ordered the disciples not to tell anyone that he was[d] the Messiah.[e]

John 1:40-42
One of the two who heard John speak and followed him was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. 41 He first found his brother Simon and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which is translated Anointed[j]). 42 He brought Simon[k] to Jesus, who looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Cephas” (which is translated Peter[l]).

This was before Peter became an Apostle.
John 1:27-29

John the Baptist!
Behold the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!

Last edited by ModerndayJohntheBaptist; 03-10-2018 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: John 1:27-29

Old 03-10-2018, 09:25 PM

11 posts, read 5,256 times
Default U must give warning Ezek 3:18-19, 33:7-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Then I look to see if their claim is true based on their words and actions. Following Jesus does not mean walking away from him or rejecting what he has said. On the other hand I would not say someone was not a christian even if I believe he/she is not or is not truly walking the path but believe they are. I can be wrong too.
You are wrong if God give you the word and you don’t say it you’re wrong

Ezekiel 3:18-19 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)

18 If I say to the wicked, You shall surely die, and you do not give him warning or speak to warn the wicked to turn from his wicked way, to save his life, the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at your hand.
19 Yet if you warn the wicked and he turn not from his wickedness or from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity, but you have delivered yourself.

Ezekiel 33:7-9 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)

7 So you, son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; therefore hear the word at My mouth and give them warning from Me.
8 When I say to the wicked, O wicked man, you shall surely die, and you do not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his perversity and iniquity, but his blood will I require at your hand.
9 But if you warn the wicked to turn from his evil way and he does not turn from his evil way, he shall die in his iniquity, but you will have saved your life.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:48 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
It is not a matter of not believing God, you and me have different perceptions of what God is doing. I happen to believe he has a plan that spans ages and is not just about getting Christians into heaven and non-christians into hell.

So where you think that scriptures need to be interpreted to support if you don’t believe in Jesus you will be headed to eternal hell, I think the scriptures need to be taken as a whole, and that the kingdom of God is being built on earth. Not around an earthly Jesus but around the messiah prophecied in the OT, which is not a single person but a corporate entity with Jesus as the cornerstone, Christ is the head of HIS body .... not Jews or gentiles but a new “man” it has no part in the religions that humans build up, which are about physical rituals that are for our benefit.

Paul said that we do not know what the body looks like yet, and I don’t believe this is about physical bodies, but about the body that his disciples are when they are one because they are called, chosen, faithful .... led of the Holy Spirit.

What matters to God is how we treat each other individually and nationally, that is what the 10 commandments are about.
This is almost exactly what I expect the Anti-christ to say to the world when he arrives.

Not saying that you are the Anti-christ, that would be ludicrous, but rather, that your concept of theology is just far enough removed from the truth that it fits almost exactly how the anti-christ will present a concept of theology that is just about the same distance from the truth, although it will be in a slightly different direction than you have taken.

The Anti-Christ will explain that he is the Messiah, and that he is building the kingdom of god here on earth, and will present a new path by witch we can all get along and provide peace and safety across all of the nations of the world, by loving all of mankind and all nations equally.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:12 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

I don't determine who is and who isn't a Christian whatever they do.

That's not my job. I do feel an obligation when people do rotten things to other people and claim justification for it because they are supposedly Christian. I still won't say they aren't Christian, but I will call them on it.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I'll answer the question. I do not believe I am a Christian. I do not desire to be a Christian, nor the be known as a Christian. I am a believer in God and Christ and I believe in the gospel of grace. I am a person of faith in the provision of God through Christ. Why would I want to be known as a Christian in the current state of things? The label if off-putting to others, and not without a good cause. I never any longer say to anyone, "I'm a Chrisitan". Why would I ?
Ok. So you do not like being called Christian. So be it.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:48 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There is nothing wrong with that, why would they be ?. Does God recognize you by the tag you wear or something?.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:21 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
There is nothing wrong with that, why would there be ?. Does God recognize you by the tag you wear or something?.
A Calvin Klein label is focused on the outside appearance of things or its performance.
It's like an act of staging or presenting a play, concert or other form of entertainment.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And the point is that the label is meaningless alone and carries with it some negative connotations for a lot of people. Consider the forum rule that the label can not be questioned no matter how the ideology may vary from traditional perceptions.
I don't mind being called a Christian so long as some indication of where I stand on that spectrum is included. "Quaker" is a little more specific label.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:27 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And the point is that the label is meaningless alone and carries with it some negative connotations for a lot of people. Consider the forum rule that the label can not be questioned no matter how the ideology may vary from traditional perceptions.
I don't mind being called a Christian so long as some indication of where I stand on that spectrum is included. "Quaker" is a little more specific label.
No one said anything about it being right or wrong, or meaningful, or meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity