Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 12:27 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,477 times

Advertisements

How expensive is it to be a Catholic? Are you expected to make regular donations? How much?

In The Sopranos, it's mentioned that Paulie and Carmela, who are Catholic, pay the church a lot of money.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:29 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
When I was Catholic, the church would send a letter suggesting an amount that they donate based on income levels. But my parents did not give copies of their W2, nor did they ever get shaken down for money. It was entirely voluntary, and no one ever required any money from them.

Having said that, we did go to catechism class, or CCD, as children. I believe they paid to register us for that.

In contrast, the local "Apostolic Center" in my town actually asks for copies of tax documents from members and then the pastor tells each member what is the expected donation. They also require that single people only date single people from their church. They control so many aspects of their lives. Things that like that simply did not happen in my experience as a Catholic.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:34 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,295 times
With their theology it might cost you your soul, too high a price to pay if you ask me..

Mark 38:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Old 04-13-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
With their theology it might cost you your soul, too high a price to pay if you ask me..

Mark 38:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
It's the largest denomination, so the way I see it, if God was opposed to it, he would have smitten them by now, or at least kept them small.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
You can give as little or as much as you want. I'm not sure that this is a legitimate question, but there are certainly no "monthly dues". To suggest so is a little ridiculous.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
You can give as little or as much as you want. I'm not sure that this is a legitimate question, but there are certainly no "monthly dues". To suggest so is a little ridiculous.
If there is a "suggested amount", as BaptistFundie mentioned, I'd like to know how it's calculated. One tenth of your income?

What happens to people who don't pay? Are they uninvited from parties, events, etc.? Does the church send them free turkey on Thanksgiving to humiliate them?

Old 04-13-2018, 12:47 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
Reread my post, because obviously you don't get it. Personally, I think you're a troll and are now on my ignore list.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:02 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
If there is a "suggested amount", as BaptistFundie mentioned, I'd like to know how it's calculated. One tenth of your income?

What happens to people who don't pay? Are they uninvited from parties, events, etc.? Does the church send them free turkey on Thanksgiving to humiliate them?
There is no suggested amount.

And I suspect Robert is right.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:46 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
It's the largest denomination, so the way I see it, if God was opposed to it, he would have smitten them by now, or at least kept them small.
The muslims are doing fairly well too when it comes to numbers, I don't think that being the largest denomination is any sign of Gods blessing. On the contrary, the Bible talks about the many who enter in on the broad way to destruction, and the few who enter into the narrow way to life.. think about it, where will you spend eternity? Contrary to Roman Catholic teaching there is no such thing as purgatory, it will be either eternal hell or eternal heaven - and contrary to Roman Catholic teaching our works do not merit heaven alongside with grace, according to the Scriptures it is by grace alone through faith in Jesus Christ that we are saved. That is why I said it might cost you your soul..

Matthew 7:13-15 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:56 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
This thread is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.