Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 02:20 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times

Advertisements

Anytime a celebrity dies or faces death, it often gives people pause to think about their own morality and what faces us on the other side. Kevin Smith came dangerously close to finding out last night as he posted this morning on twitter that he had experienced a massive widow maker heart attack.

His entire post is really interesting and thought provoking.

Kevin Smith: Film director suffers 'massive' heart attack - BBC News

The thing that struck me beyond the scary reality of heart disease is Kevin's comments about facing death. He said death was his greatest most terrifying fear. And yet in this moment facing the very real possibility that his life could be over, Kevin felt peace, not fear. He was even content with dying. I've heard stories of people dying or near death who reported the same type of feeling. Sam Kinison comes to mind. Sam was certainly far from being a Christian. He lived a sin fueled life of drugs and sex while making a living with an extremely vulgar stand up comedy.

Quote:

Comedian Sam Kinison who died in a head-on collision in 1992 said to no one in particular: “I don’t want to die. I don’t want to die.” But then there was a pause as if Kinison were listening to someone. Then he asked, “But why?” and after another pause “Okay, Okay, Okay.” A friend who was with him said, “Whatever voice was talking to him gave him the right answer and he just relaxed with it.”
A Few Final Words - Final*Words*Project

Now Kevin Smith is about as far from being a Christian as you can get. Some of his films even make a mockery of our faith. This is a guy who lived for the world and yet even he also experienced peace when staring at the edge of life. Now if I was accepted the literal Bible beliefs regarding hell, Kevin Smith would have spend an eternity in hell. Along with Sam. Along with George Carlin. But if unbelievers are immediately ushered into a realm of darkness and damnation, why the feeling of peace or wonderment in their last moments?

I heard one pastor make a striking statement. God is not mad at us. He is not mad for us sinning. He is not mad at Kevin Smith because Jesus paid the death penalty for all of our sins. Everyone. So why would we need to be punished all over again? The why doesn't everyone go to heaven? The answer could lie in the unforgivable sin. This is the one sin that can't be covered because this sin is the deep heart felt rejection of Christ. It is an inner hatred for Christ just like the Pharisees had. Sadly, I feel a lot of atheists have demonstrated this level of rejection. There is a reason that throughout history, Christians have been one of the most hated and persecuted groups.

But what happens to someone who just wastes their life pursing things of this world and never feels compelled to seek God? I think it's possible that they can be redeemed in the end because they haven't commited the unforgivable sin and Christ died for their sins. Honestly, I don't know. OTOH, there is Matthew 7:13 where Christ is basically saying that most of humanity will not go to heaven. Which makes me wonder why people like Kinison felt peace at the end?

On a side note, actor Chris Pratt tweeted a nice message lifting Kevin up in prayer and asking people to pray. He was so viciously attacked on social media that his director came online to defend him. That's how bad the anti-Christian climate is getting here, folks.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-smith-attrac/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 02:52 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Most of the peace people who are lost to God as they pass on would be just confusion .... See If Jesus spirit does not have a person , then they would be lost to God if they would pass from life

Old 02-26-2018, 03:07 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
On a side note, actor Chris Pratt tweeted a nice message lifting Kevin up in prayer and asking people to pray. He was so viciously attacked on social media that his director came online to defend him. That's how bad the anti-Christian climate is getting here, folks.

This is unfortunate. Of course, Christians are not the only ones who believe in God or in the efficacy of prayer, so the comments were not anti-Christian but rather, anti-spiritual. Of course, I've seen Christians and other religious people posting some really horrific things as well, so -- maybe it's just that there are immature people across the board who don't know how to play nice in the sandbox.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:44 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,120 times
Another fear mongering thread. What's new? Fear-mongering Christians made up the concept of "false peace" similar to the way the right wing makes up "fake news" and uses it for propaganda .

Old 02-26-2018, 07:46 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Most of the peace people who are lost to God as they pass on would be just confusion .... See If Jesus spirit does not have a person , then they would be lost to God if they would pass from life
Jesus said he would not lose ONE soul that the Father had given to him. How many souls do you think God gave Jesus?

Old 02-27-2018, 12:49 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
I had a similar experience in Vietnam. One night while I was the duty NCO for my company base, located near the DMZ, we got hit with rocket fire. The first round landed perhaps 75 yards from my motor transport battalion. I ran out of the tent screaming for our company to get out of the tents and get in the trenches that were dug about 20 yards outside our encampment. My right hand was shaking so badly I had to put my rifle in the other.

It was my first time under fire. I had been on leave to Singapore when the first attack had taken place. In that first attack we actually had a guy SLEEP through 35 or 40 mortar rounds. The tent two feet over his head had a hole in it where shrapnel went through. Because of that, we put a double wall of sandbags around every tent so if a round landed on one, only the guys in that tent would be taken out.

Back to my night. The shelling paused and I determined I'd better check every one of our dozen or so tents to make sure everyone had cleared them. As duty NCO I was technically company commander until relieved by a senior NCO or an officer. I got to the third tent and the shells started pouring in with deadly intent. I dove inside a tent and against one of the sandbag walls. Then began praying.

I thought for certain I was dead. The trenches were far safer than any of the 6-10 man tents. As the rockets continued to fall I prayed if one was headed my way, that it would hit me directly and not just blow my arms or legs off, or in the case of one guy in a nearby outfit, emasculate me.

And suddenly a peace like I'd never had before came over me. I wasn't afraid even though I was certain that death was upon me. The shaking in my hand was gone. I was totally content with whatever the outcome would be.

When I stood up ten minutes later, I felt certain God had preserved me for His own purposes. And it was then and there I committed myself to study the Bible deeply, thoroughly, scholastically, and with no preconceived notions about what it must say or where it would lead me.

It counts as the strangest encounter I ever had with God.

P.S. I'm no celebrity!!

Old 02-27-2018, 06:00 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Sam Kineson was a Pentecostal minister before he did standup.

You have no idea what was in his heart or mind or about what his relationship was with God or why. You're going by what you saw outwardly.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:49 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Anytime a celebrity dies or faces death, it often gives people pause to think about their own morality and what faces us on the other side. Kevin Smith came dangerously close to finding out last night as he posted this morning on twitter that he had experienced a massive widow maker heart attack.

His entire post is really interesting and thought provoking.

Kevin Smith: Film director suffers 'massive' heart attack - BBC News

The thing that struck me beyond the scary reality of heart disease is Kevin's comments about facing death. He said death was his greatest most terrifying fear. And yet in this moment facing the very real possibility that his life could be over, Kevin felt peace, not fear. He was even content with dying. I've heard stories of people dying or near death who reported the same type of feeling. Sam Kinison comes to mind. Sam was certainly far from being a Christian. He lived a sin fueled life of drugs and sex while making a living with an extremely vulgar stand up comedy.

A Few Final Words - Final*Words*Project

Now Kevin Smith is about as far from being a Christian as you can get. Some of his films even make a mockery of our faith. This is a guy who lived for the world and yet even he also experienced peace when staring at the edge of life. Now if I was accepted the literal Bible beliefs regarding hell, Kevin Smith would have spend an eternity in hell. Along with Sam. Along with George Carlin. But if unbelievers are immediately ushered into a realm of darkness and damnation, why the feeling of peace or wonderment in their last moments?

I heard one pastor make a striking statement. God is not mad at us. He is not mad for us sinning. He is not mad at Kevin Smith because Jesus paid the death penalty for all of our sins. Everyone. So why would we need to be punished all over again? The why doesn't everyone go to heaven? The answer could lie in the unforgivable sin. This is the one sin that can't be covered because this sin is the deep heart felt rejection of Christ. It is an inner hatred for Christ just like the Pharisees had. Sadly, I feel a lot of atheists have demonstrated this level of rejection. There is a reason that throughout history, Christians have been one of the most hated and persecuted groups.

But what happens to someone who just wastes their life pursing things of this world and never feels compelled to seek God? I think it's possible that they can be redeemed in the end because they haven't commited the unforgivable sin and Christ died for their sins. Honestly, I don't know. OTOH, there is Matthew 7:13 where Christ is basically saying that most of humanity will not go to heaven. Which makes me wonder why people like Kinison felt peace at the end?

Death's bed has a funny way of twisting the mind. I would think that facing death is kind of like the ultimate delusion. The mid starts racing, you begin to question everything and eventually settle into a serene kind of acceptance.

Not really sure how this supports any idea of a god in your image nor does it really disprove a god in the image of a culturally oppressive society.

Just like the ancient words written by mortals at the beginning of of the common era, one will either accept the words blindly and without question out of FEAR, or one will question, ponder and come to understand the meaning of such words based on MERCY, JUSTICE and HUMILITY.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:02 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,717 times
people has to be very careful believing that everything which seems good is from God. I'm referring to Jehovah God, though many refers to Jesus. But even he doesn't go against his Father for those who are seen as wicked ,(Mark 3:35 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother). See also (Matt. 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven). Satan can make things seem as it's from God, but really it's him, (2Cor. 11:14).

why would he do this? So that Sam's friend could be a witness to the fact that either God, Jesus or an Angel was comforting a man who didn't walk in the ways of Jesus. But on his way to ...”HELL” ,(worlds belief in a “hellfire”),would be comfort. Sadly some believe that one could live a life of debauchery. Then on their death bed, if they acknowledge Jesus or ask for forgiveness, They'll go to Heaven. That's playing with fire, and God... Jehovah is NOT one to be MOCKED! ,(Gal. 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap).

Jehovah wants all to live, not die ,(Ezek. 18:23), this is why he wants us to turn from our wicked ways and live. But if we refuse to, we will be destroyed. True Jesus died for our sins, but don't be mistaken. Jesus said at (John 3:17 “For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved”). NOTICE he said “MIGHT” be saved. Not everyone will be saved. Remember.. (“many are called, but few are chosen?” Matt. 22:14). there's NO excuse for getting to Know Jesus Father as well as himself ,(John 17:3), it could mean our lives.

We had all the time to live the way we chose. This is the time to start actually following Jesus steps ,(1Pet. 2:21). and concerning a “hellfire”, the wicked already paid for their sins once they had died. But through Jesus ,Jehovah God can give us life ,(Rom. 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord). No is burning in a “hellfire.” peace

Old 02-27-2018, 09:13 AM

553 posts, read 172,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
people has to be very careful believing that everything which seems good is from God. I'm referring to Jehovah God, though many refers to Jesus. But even he doesn't go against his Father for those who are seen as wicked ,(Mark 3:35 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother). See also (Matt. 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven). Satan can make things seem as it's from God, but really it's him, (2Cor. 11:14).

why would he do this? So that Sam's friend could be a witness to the fact that either God, Jesus or an Angel was comforting a man who didn't walk in the ways of Jesus. But on his way to ...”HELL” ,(worlds belief in a “hellfire”),would be comfort. Sadly some believe that one could live a life of debauchery. Then on their death bed, if they acknowledge Jesus or ask for forgiveness, They'll go to Heaven. That's playing with fire, and God... Jehovah is NOT one to be MOCKED! ,(Gal. 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap).

Jehovah wants all to live, not die ,(Ezek. 18:23), this is why he wants us to turn from our wicked ways and live. But if we refuse to, we will be destroyed. True Jesus died for our sins, but don't be mistaken. Jesus said at (John 3:17 “For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved”). NOTICE he said “MIGHT” be saved. Not everyone will be saved. Remember.. (“many are called, but few are chosen?” Matt. 22:14). there's NO excuse for getting to Know Jesus Father as well as himself ,(John 17:3), it could mean our lives.

We had all the time to live the way we chose. This is the time to start actually following Jesus steps ,(1Pet. 2:21). and concerning a “hellfire”, the wicked already paid for their sins once they had died. But through Jesus ,Jehovah God can give us life ,(Rom. 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord). No is burning in a “hellfire.” peace
Quote:
NOTICE he said “MIGHT” be saved. Not everyone will be saved.
No, no one outside the JWs benighted little circle of utter ignorance will be saved. LOL Too bad modern translations put it differently:

John 3:17 New Century Version (NCV)

17 God did not send his Son into the world to judge the world guilty, but to save the world through him.

-----

John 3:17 Living Bible (TLB)

17 God did not send his Son into the world to condemn it, but to save it.

-----

John 3:17 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

17 God sent his Son into the world. He did not send him to judge the world guilty, but to save the world
through him.

------

John 3:17 Contemporary English Version (CEV)

17 God did not send his Son into the world to condemn its people. He sent him to save them!

-----

John 3:17 Good News Translation (GNT)

17 For God did not send his Son into the world to be its judge, but to be its savior.

------

John 3:17 Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV)

17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

------

John 3:17 Expanded Bible (EXB)

17 [L For; Indeed] God did not send his Son into the world to ·judge the world guilty [condemn the world], but to save the world through him.

------

John 3:17 The Message Bible (MSG)

God didn’t go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity