Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 11:23 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,715,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
They don't believe they are spreading misery - they think they are 'saving' people from it. It's really just another level of 'knowing not what they do'. In the end, it is what it is - just dismiss it and carry on - it's not part of your world.
I try. I am leaning toward taking a sabbatical from paying any attention to the chaos. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 11:26 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,715,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Is this another Christian-bashing thread? There seems to be no point or benefit to this.
If it is bashing anything, it is bashing some of the the main-stream false teachings of common, American Christian religion, no person in particular.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:39 AM

45,717 posts, read 27,332,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
And what context is that?
That hell is a reality that awaits for some people - as is spelled out primarily in Matthew 25 and Revelation 20.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:51 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,747,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Christian Molech Worship A teaching taught in most traditional churches that is worse than the the children of Israel did before Jesus Christ was ever born. Is this why the whole world has gone mad? I believe it is.
A very typical universalist comment.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:06 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,068,206 times
Sorry. Not interested in watching a 21 minute video that is likely just attacking a strawman of Christianity. Can I get a condensed version? What's your beef this time?

Old 03-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Sorry. Not interested in watching a 21 minute video that is likely just attacking a strawman of Christianity. Can I get a condensed version? What's your beef this time?
He saw a video yesterday where a universalist speaker argued that Christian church goers are basically worshiping demons, so here he is passing on the new message.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:17 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He saw a video yesterday where a universalist speaker argued that Christian church goers are basically worshiping demons, so here he is passing on the new message.
Yay. Nothing new under the sun.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yay. Nothing new under the sun.
Nope, same old, same old.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:13 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,740,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
It is far worse than one can imagine.

Humanistic songs during worship wrongly celebrate how much God 'loves me.' The emphasis is on the human rather than on the creator. Worship normally attests to the glory of God, .
the SOS proves that you are wrong.. it is a relationship of two intities .. each loves the other and expresses that completely .as in there is a time and place for all things under heaven including him singing love songs to us . Zep 3:17

The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.

it took me years to figure it out too!
I like scripture songs .. mostly psalms .. simple truths ..
I hate now getting lost in the wordy words of words books and pages , and pages numbers.. and verses on verses .. keeping my mind so busy it never, it never enters my heart.. but I want to get lost in the simple truths, our first love... the meditation on simplest truths . like "Jesus wept" is not long enough to be "a good song" any kind of song for some people, not majestic or pious enough for some people who want "Meat" to eat.. ........ but those two words in itself a world of wonder and truths to our hearts. especially when we are commanded to follow him to the cross!
I believe in meditating on his word/ and on the WORD / HIM and HIs spirit .. chewing it until it is digested by my heart not just my head! that chewing is worship..

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 03-08-2018 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-14-2018, 12:04 PM

1,146 posts, read 651,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
the SOS proves that you are wrong.. it is a relationship of two intities .. each loves the other and expresses that completely .as in there is a time and place for all things under heaven including him singing love songs to us . Zep 3:17

The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.

it took me years to figure it out too!
I like scripture songs .. mostly psalms .. simple truths ..
I hate now getting lost in the wordy words of words books and pages , and pages numbers.. and verses on verses .. keeping my mind so busy it never, it never enters my heart.. but I want to get lost in the simple truths, our first love... the meditation on simplest truths . like "Jesus wept" is not long enough to be "a good song" any kind of song for some people, not majestic or pious enough for some people who want "Meat" to eat.. ........ but those two words in itself a world of wonder and truths to our hearts. especially when we are commanded to follow him to the cross!
I believe in meditating on his word/ and on the WORD / HIM and HIs spirit .. chewing it until it is digested by my heart not just my head! that chewing is worship..
Your post testifies as to your personal devotion. Viewed through such a lense even the greatest travesty can seem small. Yet the truth has been repeated by many others - that songs celebrating worship in the post modern church are humanistic in nature rather than God directed.

Your point is well taken that the older hymns, which glorified Christ, seem to be the best. It is the new songs and their lyrics, not the noise and clamor that passes for music which is hear by the younger generation. They like loud music and have not yet experiencing hearing loss because of it. Yet it is the lyrics, not the noise, which aggravates many so much. The lyrics are all about the collective ME.

You are correct that mutual love can be expressed in worship, yet worship of God is about God not about the collective ME. Sermons often pursue the same theme. God, they say, is total love toward the ME. Biblical study doesn't indicate this at all. While God so loved the world that He would die for it, yet His death does not accept sin in any way shape or form. Sin is forgiven that the human may go and sin no more - not that sin may become a way of life. For forgiving us and for giving us the grace to live by faith and by the Law, we praise the God of mercy and justice.

There is no praise for a Hallmark kind of God. That sort of remembrance fades in time. Love of God, not mankind, is eternal.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity