Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 09:52 PM

88,676 posts, read 84,974,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Believing all scripture is from God is NOT equivalent to being mindless.
No, not necessarily, but it can be. There are people who just parrot the Bible and never seem to have given it any real thought.

When these endless inerrancy v. not threads come up, I write things like I wrote above because I want the literalists to at least try to understand the way other Christians see things. You don't have to agree. Hell, I KNOW you aren't going to agree, but please just say you read and see my point even if you don't agree. Tell me that you've considered what I've said and that you came to a different conclusion. Don't tell me, in effect, that I'm wrong and I'll get what-for on Judgment Day for disagreeing with you.

I will also disagree, but I can respect your POV. I do have a few Bible-literalists friends whose friendship supersedes our spiritual disagreement.

When someone responds to a well-thought out case for the Bible not being inerrant with--A BIBLE QUOTE!!!!--that's a sure sign that they are following scripture mindlessly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Oh, you must definitely exclude others. God in Three persons are in total harmony and agreement because they are perfect. God of the Old Testament and Jesus are of the same thought.

And the God of the Old Testament said homosexuality is an abomination.

(I am sure there will be great pearl clutching after this truth)
Why? Because you are the 275th fundie that has said this on this board? Congrats, I guess.

OR the persons in the ancient middle eastern culture who rejected the fact that some people are attracted to their own sex, or both, wrote that down because they believed it, and not bearing children to grow and strengthen the tribe was considered the real abomination.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:57 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,939,403 times
Quote:
Everyone is welcome in Jesus’ Church including murderers, rapiists, liars, thieves, the idolatrous.... But you CANNOT glorify and promote your sin.

I don’t know if one of our sins is greater than the other. But I think the 1st Commandment is 1st on the list for a reason. And that is why I keep tellling you in different ways that “YOU ARE IN DANGER!!!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So, am I to understand that the Psalm that glorifies the idea of bashing the heads of the babies of their enemies is contrary to the Spirit Christ taught?
Quote:
God is the Creator of everything. And He has authority who lives and dies. That being said the Psalmist is not God. The Psalmists is speaking in terms for an eye for an eye as in retaliation for what happen to the Hebrew children.

Your willful refusal just to do a bit of research is extremely worrisome.

Ever noticed that God never sanctified the action of Abraham for being with another woman? You should reflect on this.
So, Wow! Your first reaction makes good sense, but all of a sudden you find out that the "glorify and promote" comes from the Bible and now here comes the excuses. Somehow I knew your orifinal and natural horror would be modified.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times
Quote:
Some have been presented and dutifully ignored by you. How DO you feel about expressions of satisfaction at bashing babies' heads?
It was the Israelites cry for revenge, not Gods command. Israelis were humans who felt injustice demanded action.

Quote:
So, am I to understand that the Psalm that glorifies the idea of bashing the heads of the babies of their enemies is contrary to the Spirit Christ taught?
The Bible teaches this about desiring revenge: "“Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: ‘It is mine to avenge; I will repay,’ says the Lord.”

The OT teaches us thing about God, things about human nature and history of nation of Israel. This Psalm is about human nature and history of Israel.

You have completely misunderstood the Psalm in question. Rely more on the Spirit of God, and less on Tentmaker.Com, and things will starting make sense.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-09-2018 at 05:42 AM..

Old 03-09-2018, 07:05 AM

1,183 posts, read 538,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm really not all that interested in getting involved in this discussion except to ask you one question: This is the first time I've heard someone specify that there are "main parts" of the Bible (as opposed, I suppose to "secondary" or "lesser") parts of the Bible and that they were "fully inspired by the Holy Spirit" (as opposed to being just "partially inspired" or possibly "not inspired at all"). Would you mind clarifying which parts of the Bible are the "main, fully inspired" parts. Oh, and while you're at it, could you explain who got to make the determination? I'm curious as to which parts I can safely deny without having to worry about being eternally damned.
You read all that from 2 words? How about I retract them as so they don’t confuse. The WHOLE Bible is fully inspired by the Holy Spirit.

As part for your damnation I wouldn’t be so flippant about such a thing.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
So, Wow! Your first reaction makes good sense, but all of a sudden you find out that the "glorify and promote" comes from the Bible and now here comes the excuses. Somehow I knew your orifinal and natural horror would be modified.
No excuses. Perhaps this section of Psalms is part of the judgment of Babylon. But why reject parts of the Bible because you don’t like what the Psalmists said? The Lord does not contradict Himself. If He says “Thou sall not murder”, must He repeat it consistently?

This is a broken world and the Lord uses broken people to do His will. Abraham was God’s servant yet he commited adultry. David commited adultry and murder. Yet David is a man after God’s own heart.

Last edited by SumTingy; 03-09-2018 at 07:41 AM..

Old 03-09-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why? Because you are the 275th fundie that has said this on this board? Congrats, I guess.

OR the persons in the ancient middle eastern culture who rejected the fact that some people are attracted to their own sex, or both, wrote that down because they believed it, and not bearing children to grow and strengthen the tribe was considered the real abomination.
Poking the bear to get a response.

Noticed in the next post that says everyone is welcome in Jesus’ Church? If you want to compare the sin tally I am sure I could best many as I have collected quite a few. I was a murderer in the Lord’s eyes yet I am welcomed to join Him. That is a mighty powerful message and promise from the Scriptures

Old 03-09-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Poking the bear to get a response.

Noticed in the next post that says everyone is welcome in Jesus’ Church? If you want to compare the sin tally I am sure I could best many as I have collected quite a few. I was a murderer in the Lord’s eyes yet I am welcomed to join Him. That is a mighty powerful message and promise from the Scriptures
Not sure how that is a response to what I posted in response to your pearl-clutching comment, but OK.

Everyone IS welcome in Jesus' Church. On that we agree.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:00 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,939,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It was the Israelites cry for revenge, not Gods command. Israelis were humans who felt injustice demanded action.

The Bible teaches this about desiring revenge: "“Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: ‘It is mine to avenge; I will repay,’ says the Lord.”

The OT teaches us thing about God, things about human nature and history of nation of Israel. This Psalm is about human nature and history of Israel.

You have completely misunderstood the Psalm in question. Rely more on the Spirit of God, and less on Tentmaker.Com, and things will starting make sense.
So the passage in Psalms teaches us about mercy in the same way that requiring the stoning of certain transgressors does?

Old 03-09-2018, 09:25 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,395,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It was the Israelite's cry for revenge, not Gods command. Israelis were humans who felt injustice demanded action.

Leave room for a higher power of wrath and revenge?
Talk about creating a justice system in your own image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity