Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 07:28 PM

1,183 posts, read 537,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
He is more than a focus of the bible, he is the one it testifies to us look to(not look to the itself). Why you cannot see this is beyond me. The one who it testifies of gave us all that pertains to life and godliness, we grow in the grace and knowledge of him, we are called to abide in his love, seek him and look to him in all things. Why do you have issue with me stating these things?. It is my belief not accusation that bible fundamentalist worship the bible, absurd yes, but no doubt they do.
‘Thou shall not lie.’ ‘ All liars... will partake in the lake of fire. ‘. Just a few Bible verses for your reference. Now show us all the postings that say they worship the Bible. If you can’t produce evidence of your accusation, then tell us why should anyone believe in anything you write?

We will wait your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 07:33 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
‘Thou shall not lie.’ ‘ All liars... will partake in the lake of fire. ‘. Just a few Bible verses for your reference. Now show us all the postings that say they worship the Bible. If you can’t produce evidence of your accusation, then tell us why should anyone believe in anything you write?

We will wait your response.
Bible Fundamentalists relentlessly speak about the bible and it's beliefs about the bible so much it drowns out the one it testifies of. It's an observation not accusation, don't be so touchy, when you say stupid things like the church of shenanigans. You are not saved by believing in the bible, salvation comes by the one it testifies of(And i do not mean being saved from hell).

Old 03-14-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Bible Fundamentalists relentlessly speak about the bible and it's beliefs about the bible so much it drowns out the one it testifies of. It's an observation not accusation, don't be so touchy, when you say stupid things like the church of shenanigans. You are not saved by believing in the bible, salvation comes by the one it testifies of(And i do not mean being saved from hell).
So no evidence yet you make a baseless claims. I assume you think it wins you points?

Your religion use the Bible as a tool to bolster your argument for your faith. You see words like “spirit” and you paste in verses and exclaim that the Spirit leads your life. But then, some like minded person will post things that directly contradict the Bible.

Frankly, I find that disingenious. I am confident others do as well.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
So no evidence yet you make a baseless claims. I assume you think it wins you points?

Your religion use the Bible as a tool to bolster your argument for your faith. You see words like “spirit” and you paste in verses and exclaim that the Spirit leads your life. But then, some like minded person will post things that directly contradict the Bible.

Frankly, I find that disingenious. I am confident others do as well.
The evidence is :"the bible this the bible that" as if the bible is God. Like i said it's an observation not accusation.

Never once said the Spirit leads my life. I do say things like that is the way we are called by God to live by. What is it that i have said directly contradicts the bible ?.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
The evidence is :"the bible this the bible that" as if the bible is God. Like i said it's an observation not accusation.

Never once said the Spirit leads my life. I do say things like that is the way we are called by God to live by. What is it that i have said directly contradicts the bible ?.

That is not evidence. And I said ‘like minded’. I will watch with a careful eye on your future postings. When I see one that agrees with what I said I will remind you of this discussion. Does that seem reasonable?

Old 03-14-2018, 07:59 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I would

I think that about you too, thanks Nate

Old 03-14-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
That is not evidence. And I said ‘like minded’. So, I will watch with a careful eye on your future postings. When I see one that agrees with what I said I will remind you of this discussion
It's enough evidence for me. The lack of lifting up Jesus and the love of God is very noticable too. it's as if it's the mission of the evangelicals for us to believe in Jesus so we believe in the bible. It's the cart before the horse at best. My feelings about that is, is the bible is all you have, nothing wrong with that too, but you have you go outside the city walls of the bible to meet the one it testifies of.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:11 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Revelation 21:8 is against you.
8But to the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and sexually immoral and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their place will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. This is the second death.”

Quote:
Are sexually immoral?
Wow. Getting right to it, aren't we? Do I have sex? That question is:

1. None of your business.

2. Unspeakably rude for a man to ask a woman he doesn't know.

But I'll answer. No, I'm happily single.

Quote:
Do you commit acts of abomination?
No. I had Crab Rangoon a few weeks ago, it was delicious. But we aren't under the Mosaic Law.

Quote:
Do you lie about your gender?
No. I am female, that is my gender.

Quote:
Have you held hatred in your heart(murderer)?
Before I was saved, yes, but I've been forgiven.

Quote:
Do you not believe in the God of the Bible(unbelieving)?
Yes, I believe in (and worship, fervently) the God of all creation.

Quote:
Have you placed your gender identity of above everything in your life(idolatry)?
No. No more than anyone else anyway.

Quote:
You better rethink and reflect before its too late.
I have, my relationship with Christ is secure. Thank you for the warning though...I guess?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
The new needs to be put in context of the old, Abraham was called out of the world to save the world, all nations would be blessed because of him, he is a father of many nations)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny4YourThoughts View Post
Be back later but can you quote scripture where you find this truth?? Thank you so we can read it from the horses mouth and not just take it as truth. Be bereans of noble character. Be back later tonight
Gen 12:1 Now the LORD said to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you.
Gen 12:2 And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing.
Gen 12:3 I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.

Gen 17:19 God said, “No, but Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his offspring after him.

Esau/Jacob Gen 25:23 And the LORD said to her, “Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples from within you shall be divided; the one shall be stronger than the other, the older shall serve the younger.”

Of Jacob (Israel) Gen 28:13 And behold, the LORD stood above it and said, “I am the LORD, the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac. The land on which you lie I will give to you and to your offspring.
Gen 28:14 Your offspring shall be like the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south, and in you and your offspring shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
Gen 28:15 Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”

12 tribes come from Israel

Fast forward to NT

Mat 1:21 She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.”

Mat 3:2 “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”
Mat 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Mat 3:8 Bear fruit in keeping with repentance.
Mat 3:9 And do not presume to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father,’ for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham.
Mat 3:10 Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

Trees are not individual people... the wrath that was coming was (and is) against Gods representatives who hold the truth in unrighteousness

Gal 3:7 Know then that it is those of faith who are the sons of Abraham.
Gal 3:8 And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, “In you shall all the nations be blessed.”
Gal 3:9 So then, those who are of faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

Rom 4:13 For the promise to Abraham and his offspring that he would be heir of the world did not come through the law but through the righteousness of faith.
Rom 4:14 For if it is the adherents of the law who are to be the heirs, faith is null and the promise is void.
Rom 4:15 For the law brings wrath, but where there is no law there is no transgression.
Rom 4:16 That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his offspring—not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all,
Rom 4:17 as it is written, “I have made you the father of many nations”—in the presence of the God in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist.
Rom 4:18 In hope he believed against hope, that he should become the father of many nations, as he had been told, “So shall your offspring be.”

Rom 7:1 Or do you not know, brothers—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law is binding on a person only as long as he lives?
Rom 7:2 For a married woman is bound by law to her husband while he lives, but if her husband dies she is released from the law of marriage.
Rom 7:3 Accordingly, she will be called an adulteress if she lives with another man while her husband is alive. But if her husband dies, she is free from that law, and if she marries another man she is not an adulteress.
Rom 7:4 Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God.
Rom 7:5 For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death.
Rom 7:6 But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.

Jesus took the penalty of the law of Moses to redeem Israel from sin and death.... it has to do with Gods covenant with his people about having dominion over the earth. Nothing to do with going to heaven. Abraham who is Father of many nations was not told he was going to heaven, that was not the covenant. Christianity has claimed that reward for themselves while misinterpreting scriptures to consign the bulk of humanity to eternal hell.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:38 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The bold is your problem.

I know that He is the focus of the Bible. You are the one make false accusations as though we worship a book. Nobody worships a book, despite your accusations.

But here is your problem. God and Christ are responsible for everything in the Bible. EVERYTHING. So the Bible must be regarded as truth if Christ is to be honored. Because Christ is responsible for the content, it's true.

Your problem is that you don't believe that the Bible is ALL true. Right?

You can look up Acts 11:26 (not Acts 20), Acts 26:28, 1 Peter 4:16.
You have a BELIEF that the bolded is true--and many others have a BELIEF that it is not. Now if we choose to provide EVIDENCE of either---you haven't any outside of quoting a couple of verses lifted out of context and without regard to the culture of that time.

The evidence those of us have who don't think it is so--is two-fold. Both INTERNALLY, within the Bible, and externally as we apply textual criticism in the form of literary analysis to Scripture. But I'll just give the internal evidence for now.

Internally, if God and Jesus are responsible for EVERYTHING in the Bible, they are responsible for some quite contrary statements. Jesus pointed out six of them in Matthew 5. We also have evidence from what Jesus LEFT OUT of His quotes of the OT (and Paul as well). For instance, when the rich young man asked what he must do to be saved. Jesus replied "Keep the Commandments."

"Which ones," asked the young man. And now Jesus' response is very, very revealing. He didn't cite all the ten commandments. He only cited those that had to do with our relationships with other people:

Which ones?” the man asked. Jesus answered,
Quote:
“‘Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not bear false witness, honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself.’"
Matt. 19:18-19

He left out the first four commandments:

You shall have no other gods before Me.
You shall not make any graven images.
You shall not use the Lord's Name in vain.
Remember to keep the Sabbath day holy.

And the rich young man responded that he had kept all the six Jesus mentioned---and yet Jesus didn't find the six He mentioned to be adequate. He didn't mention the "commandments" that He left OUT, instead He added another directed at this young man's idolatry in his life--money;

Quote:
Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.”
Matt. 19:21

The importance of this is that Jesus didn't see everything in the OT as THAT important. And He saw somethings not in the Bible as MORE important.

It's the difference between having a COVENANT relationship with Jesus and a CONTRACTURAL relationship with Him. People who love CONTRACTS rely on the letter of the CONTRACT--as many fundamentalists do with Scripture. But people who rely on COVENTAL relationships TRUST one another--they don't need a rulebook, or how to book, or a do this and don't do that book. They TRUST one another and instinctively know when trust is broken. The Israelites did it dozens if not scores of times.

But God always kept offering ways back for those with whom He had a COVENANTAL relationship.

CONTRACTS are between entities that really DO NOT trust one another. "Look God, it says right here in your "perfect" Word----." That is NOT a COVENANTAL relationship. And it is very easy to fall into that contractual relationship when the COVENANTAL relationship is weak or missing.

My relationship with God relies on neither Heaven nor Hell. Because I TRUST Him. He can do as He wishes because I TRUST HIM, not the book. The book was a place to start, but it is NEVER a place to stop.

As Mary A. Lathbury (1841-1913) wrote in her wonderful hymn Break Thou the Bread of Life:
"Beyond the sacred page, I see the Lord"

Quote:
Finding God beyond the written Word is part of the Christian maturing process.

There was a time in most of our lives when we looked only to scripture to find what God was saying to us or doing around us. When you’re in Sunday School and Vacation Bible School, there is so much emphasis on the Bible itself that we zero in on that book when we are looking for God and his answers to our dilemmas. That’s not a bad thing, but it IS a very limited approach.
---------
When I sing this hymn-line, I visualize myself looking over the top edge of a page, beyond the zipper’s regular pattern to see God. In other words, I hear him in other words… and see him in other faces.
HYMN LINES: "Beyond the sacred page I see thee, Lord."

If the Bible is all you have, then you need to grow, my friend. I see Him every day in people around me, in the beauty of the Colorado mountains, and in the faces of those pour souls victimized by fundamentalist Christianity for how they were born.

At some point, I believe you will find yourself teaching this in your Sunday School, because I believe--meaning I have a mental conviction---that you are a good man and want the best for those you are leading.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 03-14-2018 at 11:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity