Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:57 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Over the years, the Episcopal Church has gradually accepted changes that have strained its ties with the Anglican Communion and have even resulted in schisms. In 1873, the Reformed Episcopal Church was formed over disagreements about the freedom to worship with non-Anglicans. In 2006, Jefferts Schori was elected as the Presiding Bishop of the ECUSA, the first woman to hold that office. That election strained ties with the Anglican Communion, as no other church body recognizes the ordination of women as bishops. Bishop Schori has made history in other ways, as well. While the Bishop of Nevada, she allowed for the blessing of same-sex unions in her diocese. When openly gay Bishop Gene Robinson was examined for qualification to continue in ministry, Bishop Schori voted to confirm him. At the 2009 meeting of the House of Bishops, over which Schori presided, that body voted that “any ordained ministry” should be open to gay and lesbian members as long as they were in a committed relationship. As a result of these positions on homosexuals in the church, nearly 700 dissenting parishes have formed the Anglican Church in North America, which has been recognized in full communion by the Anglican Churches of Nigeria and Uganda, which represent about 1/3 of all Anglicans worldwide. Several dioceses have also severed ties or threatened to sever ties with the ECUSA over that same issue.
Was Jefferts Schori elected as president? Yes, she was. Fact

Did it strain ties with the Anglican community? Yes, it did. Fact

Did she bless same sex unions? Yes, she did. Fact

Did she cause other parishes to brea off to become part of the Anglican Church in North America? Yes, it did. Fact

Is there anything in the above which is not true? What?

Why do these truths offend you to a point where you resort to personal attacks and insults? Quoting the Bible seems to cause the same reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 12:48 AM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They must be too close to the truth for you so two resort to childish insults.

Not surprisingly no one has refute the facts mentioned in the quote.
Facts are not the problem, Finn. The benighted beliefs that contradict everything Jesus stands for are the problem.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:00 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
But you already have.

How many are your iniquities?

It says: "Make known to me my rebellion and my sin."
Yet, you continually stand in judgment of others.
Thank you, Jerwade.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Meditate in your own heart upon your bed, and be still.
And let us examine and probe our ways, after pondering.

That's where I do most of my praying and spending time with Him.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Curious choice of strike.

Those two words you combined caught my attention amongst a myriad of other tact.
What is doctrine of sin?
This has bothered me for decades now.

Would you mind explaining to me how you know geekigirl so well enough to even date mention sin?

Thank you for that, pinacled.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:04 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
If you are learning false doctrine and spreading it, that is something you should not do. You cannot hide your intent from the Lord. You are playing a very dangerous game with your eternal soul.

You should find out why Gotquestions, a reputable Christian site, has concerns about the Episcopal church.
I'm not hiding anything from God. Dude, since you've done all this research, you are surely aware that the Episcopal liturgy begins, "Almighty God, to you all hearts are open and no secrets are hid..."

"Doctrine" is YOUR thing, not mine.

I don't need to be second-guessed or by either a fundie Internet website or some random schmoe on a message board. I take my spiritual concerns directly to God.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Was Jefferts Schori elected as president? Yes, she was. Fact

Did it strain ties with the Anglican community? Yes, it did. Fact

Did she bless same sex unions? Yes, she did. Fact

Did she cause other parishes to brea off to become part of the Anglican Church in North America? Yes, it did. Fact

Is there anything in the above which is not true? What?

Why do these truths offend you to a point where you resort to personal attacks and insults? Quoting the Bible seems to cause the same reaction.
Oh, yulk yulk yulk, you are SO slick, Finn. NOT. There ya go with your "I'll pretend they meant something else and respond as if" schtick. What you are trying to pull above is dishonest.

The quote above is not what anyone is arguing about, of course.

For those reading, it is the rest of Sum Tingy's post about the EC, quoting Ezekiel, to which Minivan and I took exception:

“My people come to you, as they usually do, and sit before you to listen to your words, but they do not put them into practice. With their mouths they express devotion, but their hearts are greedy for unjust gain. Indeed, to them you are nothing more than one who sings love songs with a beautiful voice and plays an instrument well, for they hear your words but do not put them into practice” (Ezekiel 33:31-32).

It's quite the opposite.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-04-2018 at 05:29 AM..

Old 04-04-2018, 05:36 AM

By the way, Katherine Jefferts Schori hasn't been presiding bishop for years now. Michael Curry is. A straight, married man.

I like him better than Jefferts Schori, though it has nothing to do with sexual orientation, because, as some of you don't seem to be able to grasp, we really don't give a fig leaf about that.

You should listen to him speak sometiime or read what he says.

https://www.episcopalchurch.org/post...s-or-community

Haha! That was a joke. Youse guys would never listen to an Episcopal bishop speak because you think you already know everything you need to know about the EC, cuz, ya know, "gotquestions.org" knows everything.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Facts are not the problem, Finn. The benighted beliefs that contradict everything Jesus stands for are the problem.
You gave thumbs up to this insult:

"It has concerns because it's an idiotic site run by blinkered fundies."

It was about a quote from site GotQuestions. Please explain how GotQuestions contradicts everything Jesus stands for, especially now that you admit it is factually correct about the topic in question.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:21 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
If you want to continue arguing about women and Episcopalians, would you mind starting a new topic? Remember the headline:

JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity