Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 10:55 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,538,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I received my education from Catholic nuns and priests. My father was chairman of the Catholic School Board for 30 years. I have a Bachelors degree in Journalism and minored in Psychology and Sociology. I also took a Religious Studies course.

In addition, I am highly intelligent and very well read.

And I don't mean just the Grade One Catechism book you managed to stumble your way through.
So is your father a fundie as well? Also, wondering why you took a religious studies course when you stopped believing in it? That must have been boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 08:22 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So is your father a fundie as well? Also, wondering why you took a religious studies course when you stopped believing in it? That must have been boring.
My father has been dead for many years. But well before he died, he evolved. He remained a devout Catholic, going to Mass several times a week but he realized concepts like hell, original sin, and marginalizing gays and Others, were not "of Jesus."

I admired, respected and loved him even when he was a fundie. But those feelings for him grew over the years as he learned the error of his earlier ways and was man enough to change. I was with him when he died and he died well.

I took the Religious Studies course so I might come to understand why some people believed the nonsense they did.

And yes, that class was by far the most boring of my University career. I've learned much more about the answer to that question since I have come to this forum.

The main answers were: early indoctrination and lack of intelligence and/or education. I see the truth of that observation here several times a day.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
My father has been dead for many years. But well before he died, he evolved. He remained a devout Catholic, going to Mass several times a week but he realized concepts like hell, original sin, and marginalizing gays and Others, were not "of Jesus."

I admired, respected and loved him even when he was a fundie. But those feelings for him grew over the years as he learned the error of his earlier ways and was man enough to change. I was with him when he died and he died well.

I took the Religious Studies course so I might come to understand why some people believed the nonsense they did.

And yes, that class was by far the most boring of my University career. I've learned much more about the answer to that question since I have come to this forum.

The main answers were: early indoctrination and lack of intelligence and/or education. I see the truth of that observation here several times a day.
So you both became cafeteria Catholics. That happens to a lot of people. We decide to pick and chose what parts of the bible we like and discard the parts we don't like.

Many left Christ when he told them they had to change their way of life----remember the rich man who asked what he had to do to follow Jesus? Jesus told him to go and sell everything then follow him. The young man couldn't do that and went away. Jesus let him leave, the young man could not follow. His riches were more important than God to him. He put his wealth before God.

Many do that today. Riches before God, the world's esteem before God, sex before God, possessions before God. You name it, people have put it before God.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
So you both became cafeteria Catholics. That happens to a lot of people. We decide to pick and chose what parts of the bible we like and discard the parts we don't like.

Many left Christ when he told them they had to change their way of life----remember the rich man who asked what he had to do to follow Jesus? Jesus told him to go and sell everything then follow him. The young man couldn't do that and went away. Jesus let him leave, the young man could not follow. His riches were more important than God to him. He put his wealth before God.

Many do that today. Riches before God, the world's esteem before God, sex before God, possessions before God. You name it, people have put it before God.
Unlike you, he was a person worthy of respect.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:10 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,713,948 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself.

Not all Catholics are liberal, or liberal-light. There are still dinosaurs educated in the 40s and 50s who cling to ultra-conservative Catholicism.

Janelle is one. She is a fundie.
You could use the term "evangelical" because it has become interchangeable with the term "fundie" but perhaps doesn't sound as insulting.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
You could use the term "evangelical" because it has become interchangeable with the term "fundie" but perhaps doesn't sound as insulting.
If I cared about a bigot's feelings, perhaps I would temper my language a little more.

But if it quacks like a duck....

Old 04-22-2018, 05:36 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,341,225 times
Quote:
If I cared about a bigot's feelings, perhaps I would temper my language a little more.

But if it quacks like a duck....
I like Fundies like twin spin and scgraham they are not afraid to call a spade a spade, so you know exactly what you are up agains with them.... repent or go to eternal hell ...... fair enough they have put their cards on the table. Then you have the likes of Finn Jarber who believes like scrgraham and twinspin, who do no not have the bo11ox to admit they are of the same belief...... believe in Jesus or perish in hell..... right boys?

Old 04-22-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
We are all called to evangelize aren't we? As Jesus told his disciples to go out into the world to spread the gospel.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:50 PM

63,908 posts, read 40,194,112 times
Quote:
We are all called to evangelize aren't we? As Jesus told his disciples to go out into the world to spread the gospel.
Just make sure it is the Gospel of love and reconciliation Jesus taught, NOT the "precepts and doctrines of men."

Old 04-22-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Just make sure it is the Gospel of love and reconciliation Jesus taught, NOT the "precepts and doctrines of men."
That is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity