Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 12:23 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,955,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternity is Coming View Post
I think it's important to get our thought process right to help us understand.

Heaven is a result of salvation, it's not the goal. Just like doing good works doesn't mean you're saved, they're a natural result of being a biblical Christian. (Read Matthew 7:21-23 for evidence.)

There are many people who profess to be Christians who really aren't. (Again, read Matthew 7:21-23, the most horrifying words in all of scripture. Make sure you're not in this crowd!)

Being a Christian, or being saved, isn't about going to heaven instead of hell. Heaven isn't Fire Insurance to keep you out of hell. It's about recognizing our essential need for Jesus and the sacrifice He made on the cross for anyone who receives it. We're all overflowing in sin but even one single sin is enough to sentence us to hell for eternity because sin is an offense against the eternal God.

Religion is the man-made stuff. Christianity isn't a "decision." It's all about having a personal relationship with Jesus. It's not about following all the rules, having a bunch of knowledge, doing a bunch of good things to balance out the bad things, etc., All of that is IMPOSSIBLE! We do those things (and don't do other things) not in an effort to BE saved, but because we ARE saved.

It's about relationship. Jesus first. All things for the praise of His glory! One more time, read Matthew 7:21-23. They will be sent away from God NOT because they didn't have good works, but because there was NO RELATIONSHIP with Jesus. "I never knew you." How do you know someone? You spend time together, talking with each other, and listening to each other, caring about each other. Relationship.

So, what will keep you from heaven? NOT having a relationship with Jesus. And that starts with recognizing your need for Him, and His sacrifice, because of your offense of sin against God.
I completely agree. However, the law exposes sin, and that's what my post is about. This generation of Church goers isn't much different than the world because the danger of sin is not being preached.

Romans 7
[5] For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
[6] But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
[7] What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 12:26 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,955,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Or maybe -- if you believe that the spirit of the God who is love is the very same spirit which Jesus partook of -- people know/are in relationship with Jesus by acting in love towards others.
For our new friend Eternity is Coming, you'll see that many on this site serve a god with no Bible because they despise it.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:47 PM

14 posts, read 6,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Or maybe -- if you believe that the spirit of the God who is love is the very same spirit which Jesus partook of -- people know/are in relationship with Jesus by acting in love towards others.
If you and I became friends and developed a relationship, would that mean that I also have a relationship with your dad? Mother Theresa acted with the greatest of love towards others. But, if that's all she had, and didn't have a personal relationship with Jesus, she didn't know Him and He didn't know her. It's all about that relationship. (See scripture below for the sourced evidence.)

God said what He meant and He meant what He said. We have to be careful to conform our lives to His Word, not conform His Word to our lives, desires and understanding.

Matthew 7:21-23, "Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

These are people who acted in love towards others, but they lacked the personal, one-on-one relationship with Jesus. Our salvation is based on THAT. Not how much we love others. Of course that's a good thing, but even the ungodly love others.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
I completely agree. However, the law exposes sin, and that's what my post is about. This generation of Church goers isn't much different than the world because the danger of sin is not being preached.

Romans 7
[5] For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
[6] But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
[7] What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Unfortunately, you can't tell the church from the world these days. True biblical Christianity, lived out, is rare and the scriptures tell us that even in the midst of many professing believers, there are very few true believers in these last days.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, you can't tell the church from the world these days. True biblical Christianity, lived out, is rare and the scriptures tell us that even in the midst of many professing believers, there are very few true believers in these last days.

Because most people are evolving spiritually and able to parse ancient myths and parables properly - leaving fundies to their well-deserved extinction.

These are, indeed, the last days of Christian and Muslim fundamentalism.

Thank whatever god you might hang your hat on.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:57 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,710,956 times
Quote:
I think it's important to get our thought process right to help us understand.

Heaven is a result of salvation, it's not the goal. Just like doing good works doesn't mean you're saved, they're a natural result of being a biblical Christian. (Read Matthew 7:21-23 for evidence.)

There are many people who profess to be Christians who really aren't. (Again, read Matthew 7:21-23, the most horrifying words in all of scripture. Make sure you're not in this crowd!)

Being a Christian, or being saved, isn't about going to heaven instead of hell. Heaven isn't Fire Insurance to keep you out of hell. It's about recognizing our essential need for Jesus and the sacrifice He made on the cross for anyone who receives it. We're all overflowing in sin but even one single sin is enough to sentence us to hell for eternity because sin is an offense against the eternal God.

Religion is the man-made stuff. Christianity isn't a "decision." It's all about having a personal relationship with Jesus. It's not about following all the rules, having a bunch of knowledge, doing a bunch of good things to balance out the bad things, etc., All of that is IMPOSSIBLE! We do those things (and don't do other things) not in an effort to BE saved, but because we ARE saved.

It's about relationship. Jesus first. All things for the praise of His glory! One more time, read Matthew 7:21-23. They will be sent away from God NOT because they didn't have good works, but because there was NO RELATIONSHIP with Jesus. "I never knew you." How do you know someone? You spend time together, talking with each other, and listening to each other, caring about each other. Relationship.

So, what will keep you from heaven? NOT having a relationship with Jesus. And that starts with recognizing your need for Him, and His sacrifice, because of your offense of sin against God.
Quote:
If you and I became friends and developed a relationship, would that mean that I also have a relationship with your dad? Mother Theresa acted with the greatest of love towards others. But, if that's all she had, and didn't have a personal relationship with Jesus, she didn't know Him and He didn't know her. It's all about that relationship. (See scripture below for the sourced evidence.)

God said what He meant and He meant what He said. We have to be careful to conform our lives to His Word, not conform His Word to our lives, desires and understanding.

Matthew 7:21-23, "Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

These are people who acted in love towards others, but they lacked the personal, one-on-one relationship with Jesus. Our salvation is based on THAT. Not how much we love others. Of course that's a good thing, but even the ungodly love others.
Quote:
Amen, Eternity is Coming!

Blessings to you, dear one!

Old 05-13-2018, 01:26 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
Explain true biblical christianity lived out. Don't be like many on here who find reasonable and fair quetions offensive so they put you on their ignore list, simply because they don't have answers.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:30 PM

11,910 posts, read 3,739,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So god used people to kill off All the other people and float some massive ship?
Of course not

I believe The stories are allegory and also prophetic, it is about people flooding out those who are “disobedient” the “ark” is the “temple”

Jer 47:1 The word of the LORD that came to Jeremiah the prophet concerning the Philistines, before Pharaoh struck down Gaza.
Jer 47:2 “Thus says the LORD: Behold, waters are rising out of the north, and shall become an overflowing torrent; they shall overflow the land and all that fills it, the city and those who dwell in it. Men shall cry out, and every inhabitant of the land shall wail.
Jer 47:3 At the noise of the stamping of the hoofs of his stallions, at the rushing of his chariots, at the rumbling of their wheels, the fathers look not back to their children, so feeble are their hands,
Jer 47:4 because of the day that is coming to destroy all the Philistines, to cut off from Tyre and Sidon every helper that remains. For the LORD is destroying the Philistines, the remnant of the coastland of Caphtor.
Jer 47:5 Baldness has come upon Gaza; Ashkelon has perished. O remnant of their valley, how long will you gash yourselves?
Jer 47:6 Ah, sword of the LORD! How long till you are quiet? Put yourself into your scabbard; rest and be still!
Jer 47:7 How can it be quiet when the LORD has given it a charge? Against Ashkelon and against the seashore he has appointed it.”

Psa 29:1 A Psalm of David. Ascribe to the LORD, O heavenly beings, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.
Psa 29:2 Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of holiness.
Psa 29:3 The voice of the LORD is over the waters; the God of glory thunders, the LORD, over many waters.
Psa 29:4 The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty.
Psa 29:5 The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars; the LORD breaks the cedars of Lebanon.
Psa 29:6 He makes Lebanon to skip like a calf, and Sirion like a young wild ox.
Psa 29:7 The voice of the LORD flashes forth flames of fire.
Psa 29:8 The voice of the LORD shakes the wilderness; the LORD shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
Psa 29:9 The voice of the LORD makes the deer give birth and strips the forests bare, and in his temple all cry, “Glory!”
Psa 29:10 The LORD sits enthroned over the flood; the LORD sits enthroned as king forever.
Psa 29:11 May the LORD give strength to his people! May the LORD bless his people with peace!

In scripture trees, fire, water, cattle, etc have other meanings. They are not literal.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Explain true biblical christianity lived out. Don't be like many on here who find reasonable and fair quetions offensive so they put you on their ignore list, simply because they don't have answers.
For the record, I don't have anyone on an ignore list. As long as any person draws breath, there's hope for them. God offers every person innumerable chances to repent and receive Jesus, until they draw their last breath. If God doesn't give up on folks, neither will I. Of course, there's a certain point when you can discern when someone is not receptive and only wants to argue. We're instructed not to take the bait and move on. But, as long as someone is genuinely asking questions or discussing something without the intent to be argumentative or rude, so will I.

What is a biblical Christian? It's what God says it is in His word and is not subject to any person's personal definition, choice or desire. The Bible is clear that there are many who call themselves Christians but are not. (Matthew 7:21-23.) Why weren't they Christians? Because they didn't live according to God's definition of it. They made their own rules and definitions.

Ephesians 2:8-9 says that, first, we must come to Jesus by faith. Not following a list of rules. We're saved by God's doing, not our own. His grace, not our works or because we made a decision, or walked down an aisle, or came forward at a crusade.

Romans 10:9-10 requires a public confession of faith. A true Christian is unashamed to say Jesus is Lord and believes Jesus was resurrected from the dead.

1 Corinthians 15 says that true Christians put Christ first and foremost. Above all things, true Christians are living by faith, through the resurrected Christ.

Paul says in Romans 8 that true Christians have the Holy Spirit inside of them, testifying that they are children of God. (Which is evidence that not everyone IS a child of God.)

A true Christian's life shows evidence (the fruit of the Spirit) of a changed life as God promised that they are a new creation. (2 Corinthians 5:17) This is evidenced by their faith and their actions. (James 2:18) And also that our faith is shown to the world by how we live; that we no longer walk in sin and darkness. (James 8:12) They'll see the light of Christ through our lives.

So, in a nutshell, the Bible defines a true, biblical Christian as someone who has personally received Jesus Christ as their Savior, trusts in the death and resurrection of Jesus alone for forgiveness of sins, who has the Holy Spirit living inside them, and whose life shows clear evidence of change consistent with faith in Jesus. And to experience that change and live out our lives in His power and strength, and be obedient to His Word can ONLY come through having a relationship with Him. Otherwise it's all in our own strength. And that doesn't fair well for the Matthew 7:21-23 crowd.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:44 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
For the record, I don't have anyone on an ignore list. As long as any person draws breath, there's hope for them. God offers every person innumerable chances to repent and receive Jesus, until they draw their last breath. If God doesn't give up on folks, neither will I. Of course, there's a certain point when you can discern when someone is not receptive and only wants to argue. We're instructed not to take the bait and move on. But, as long as someone is genuinely asking questions or discussing something without the intent to be argumentative or rude, so will I.

What is a biblical Christian? It's what God says it is in His word and is not subject to any person's personal definition, choice or desire. The Bible is clear that there are many who call themselves Christians but are not. (Matthew 7:21-23.) Why weren't they Christians? Because they didn't live according to God's definition of it. They made their own rules and definitions.

Ephesians 2:8-9 says that, first, we must come to Jesus by faith. Not following a list of rules. We're saved by God's doing, not our own. His grace, not our works or because we made a decision, or walked down an aisle, or came forward at a crusade.

Romans 10:9-10 requires a public confession of faith. A true Christian is unashamed to say Jesus is Lord and believes Jesus was resurrected from the dead.

1 Corinthians 15 says that true Christians put Christ first and foremost. Above all things, true Christians are living by faith, through the resurrected Christ.

Paul says in Romans 8 that true Christians have the Holy Spirit inside of them, testifying that they are children of God. (Which is evidence that not everyone IS a child of God.)

A true Christian's life shows evidence (the fruit of the Spirit) of a changed life as God promised that they are a new creation. (2 Corinthians 5:17) This is evidenced by their faith and their actions. (James 2:18) And also that our faith is shown to the world by how we live; that we no longer walk in sin and darkness. (James 8:12) They'll see the light of Christ through our lives.

So, in a nutshell, the Bible defines a true, biblical Christian as someone who has personally received Jesus Christ as their Savior, trusts in the death and resurrection of Jesus alone for forgiveness of sins, who has the Holy Spirit living inside them, and whose life shows clear evidence of change consistent with faith in Jesus. And to experience that change and live out our lives in His power and strength, and be obedient to His Word can ONLY come through having a relationship with Him. Otherwise it's all in our own strength. And that doesn't fair well for the Matthew 7:21-23 crowd.
How is it then that you say can't tell the difference between the church and the world today?. The love of God manifested as far as i am concerned can easily be seen if you are looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity