Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 06:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

That's all...for you or in Christianity is Jesus the goal/Goal?
Discuss however you'd like.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:15 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Love is my goal.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:42 AM

175 posts, read 75,666 times
Jesus wouldn't be a goal per se. God is the Trinity. Jesus is the incarnation of the Second Person of the Trinity. Jesus' life, death and resurrection were God's means of reconciling humanity to himself.

Membership in God's eternal kingdom would be a goal of sorts. As someone who has accepted God's gift of salvation through Jesus, I believe I have that. (There is debate within Christianity as to whether it is or isn't impossible for me to lose what I have. I basically believe it is impossible unless I completely renounce my faith.)

The goal for a Christian for the remainder of this lifetime would be to live the two great commandments (love God with all your heart, mind and soul and your neighbor as yourself) and to fulfill the Great Commission (spread the Gospel). Perhaps you mean "imitate Jesus" as a goal? If so, we would do this by living the two great commandments and fulfilling the Great Commission.

Christians believe we can't do those things except as the Holy Spirit works through us. Thus, I'd probably say that the bottom-line goal for this lifetime is to continue to walk in the Spirit, which we do through prayer, studying God's word, and repenting when we stumble.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:53 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Well, yes. Certainly Jesus is the goal. Jesus is at the center of God the Father's plan of creation.
Colossians 1:16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-- all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17] He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. 18] He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything. 19] For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,
Ultimately, at the resurrection, all believers will be conformed to the image of Jesus.
Romans 8:29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;
The goal for every believer should be to grow to spiritual maturity during his time on this earth.
2 Peter 3:18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:04 AM

Thanks, you 3! I think this will be a great thread with lots of input.
Trying to give reps when I can...but just to say excellent posts so far.
I don't want to give any real commentaries, ya know...agreeing or not.
Well, later I could..wanna just let it rip.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:26 AM

175 posts, read 75,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Romans 8:29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;
The goal for every believer should be to grow to spiritual maturity during his time on this earth.
Good points. This is a slightly different perspective from Daniel B. Wallace, a Senior Research Professor of NT Studies at Dallas Theological Seminary, https://danielbwallace.com/2014/08/1...hristian-life/. It's basically why I say that the goal for a Christian is to walk in the Holy Spirit rather than to become more Christ-like. The goal of becoming more Christ-like can suggest self-effort.
When asked what is the goal of the Christian life, a typical mantra heard in evangelical circles is the knee-jerk response, “To become Christ-like.” Some folks really think through what they are saying and their views are more nuanced than this slogan. But most Christians, I fear, just parrot what they’ve been taught. …

If my goal is for me to become Christ-like, then my goal is inevitably and necessarily self-centered. How well am I doing at this goal? What do I look like as a Christian? My goal had become my role, and the focus had become too inward. …

The focus in these passages is not on one’s role and therefore not on one’s self-image, needs, or ego. The focus is on the glory of God and the needs of others.

There it was, in black and white, and I missed it all these years! If the goal of the Christian life is primarily to glorify God, then the focus is certainly not on myself. It’s the combination of attitude and actions that work together to magnify the Lord. …

One of the implications of this new revelation (to me) about the goal of the Christian life was that by focusing on what I should become I was missing the proper outward and upward view of life. And it became harder and harder for me to admit my wrong to others. But the believer who seeks God’s glory and thinks hard about the welfare of their fellow-saints is not arrogant, does not hold grudges, is not self-absorbed. All of us, for as long as we live in this world, will need to ask forgiveness from someone. The mature person recognizes his own sins and readily admits them to others whom he has offended. The one who focuses on his own Christ-likeness is focusing on a tertiary goal and can end up being blinded by his own ambition.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:57 AM

154 posts, read 210,304 times
Im in it for the resurrection, eternal life. Jesus Christ is the way there. There is no other. He promised if we believe we will live forever.

Paul said "If in this life only we have hope in Christ we are of all men, most miserable.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Paul said "If in this life only we have hope in Christ we are of all men, most miserable.
What's your take on that...the word 'only'? Cuz at first glance that sentence seems silly....you would be a happy man to place your hope in Christ , right?

(Do me a favor...would you put the Ch and v on quotes...thanks a lot)

Old 08-02-2018, 09:09 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Truth and understanding are my goals.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:18 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
2 Peter 3:18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
Good points. This is a slightly different perspective from Daniel B. Wallace, a Senior Research Professor of NT Studies at Dallas Theological Seminary, https://danielbwallace.com/2014/08/1...hristian-life/. It's basically why I say that the goal for a Christian is to walk in the Holy Spirit rather than to become more Christ-like. The goal of becoming more Christ-like can suggest self-effort.
When asked what is the goal of the Christian life, a typical mantra heard in evangelical circles is the knee-jerk response, “To become Christ-like.” Some folks really think through what they are saying and their views are more nuanced than this slogan. But most Christians, I fear, just parrot what they’ve been taught. …

If my goal is for me to become Christ-like, then my goal is inevitably and necessarily self-centered. How well am I doing at this goal? What do I look like as a Christian? My goal had become my role, and the focus had become too inward. …

The focus in these passages is not on one’s role and therefore not on one’s self-image, needs, or ego. The focus is on the glory of God and the needs of others.

There it was, in black and white, and I missed it all these years! If the goal of the Christian life is primarily to glorify God, then the focus is certainly not on myself. It’s the combination of attitude and actions that work together to magnify the Lord. …

One of the implications of this new revelation (to me) about the goal of the Christian life was that by focusing on what I should become I was missing the proper outward and upward view of life. And it became harder and harder for me to admit my wrong to others. But the believer who seeks God’s glory and thinks hard about the welfare of their fellow-saints is not arrogant, does not hold grudges, is not self-absorbed. All of us, for as long as we live in this world, will need to ask forgiveness from someone. The mature person recognizes his own sins and readily admits them to others whom he has offended. The one who focuses on his own Christ-likeness is focusing on a tertiary goal and can end up being blinded by his own ambition.
I have a lot of respect for Dan Wallace's scholarship and expertise in NT textual criticism.

As I said though, it is at the resurrection that every believer will ultimately be conformed to the image of Jesus. Having said that, and while eternal salvation is a free gift obtained by grace through faith in Christ Jesus, no effort on our part is involved, the process of experiential sanctification or advancement to spiritual maturity does involve work and effort on the part of the believer. Paul referred to it as pressing on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus (Phil. 3:14) and of being conformed to His death (Phil. 3:10).

It takes effort on the part of the believer to fulfill the command to ''grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.'' (2 Peter 3:18). And certainly in order to fulfill that command the believer must be filled with the Spirit and walk in the Spirit. But the purpose is for the believer to grow up spiritually before he departs this life to go home to be with the Lord. Growing to spiritual maturity glorifies God. And the believer who is growing spiritually will have an attitude of concern for others. If he doesn't have that attitude it's a sign that he isn't advancing in his spiritual life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity