Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 07:08 PM

3,220 posts, read 927,959 times

Advertisements

There are some people who claim to follow Jesus but say that God does not need glorifying even though in the book of John it says His followers are to glorify God.

Jesus also glorified the Father which he states in the book of John.

So why do people think they follow Jesus when they ignore His words?

Do you believe God wants to be glorified according to scripture?

"If you abide in me and my words abide in you, you may ask what you will and it shall be done for you. My Father is glorified in your bearing much fruit and becoming my disciple."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 07:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
There are some people who claim to follow Jesus but say that God does not need glorifying even though in the book of John it says His followers are to glorify God.

Jesus also glorified the Father which he states in the book of John.

So why do people think they follow Jesus when they ignore His words?

Do you believe God wants to be glorified according to scripture?

"If you abide in me and my words abide in you, you may ask what you will and it shall be done for you. My Father is glorified in your bearing much fruit and becoming my disciple."
I think the Christians who follow Jesus are those who pay more attention to what he ostensibly did, rather than every word he ostensibly said.

Let's all keep in mind -- there were no tape recorders, cell phones, or even pencils and paper available to record these events as they happened.

They were painstakingly scribed on parchment - months, years, decades, centuries after the fact, from memory, or from passed-along stories from those claimed to be there, or knew someone who was.

The bible is regarded by all intelligent, sensible people as a wonderful compilation of wisdom, folklore, myth, allegory, and historical revisionism with dollops of possible reality here and there.

Plus there's a lot of crap.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:35 PM

11,134 posts, read 7,191,653 times
Nothing against the OP, but we'd be better off without all the flowery and archaic language. For example, who uses "abide" in normal conversation any more?

If the candy coating was removed - as in modern translations - we could talk in modern conversation, just as Jesus did in his days. But many have to make it sound wrapped in gold foil and coated with sparkly heaven dust. Sorry, the decades have sharpened my senses to these kinds of things, and what gets in the way.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Nothing against the OP, but we'd be better off without all the flowery and archaic language. For example, who uses "abide" in normal conversation any more?

If the candy coating was removed - as in modern translations - we could talk in modern conversation, just as Jesus did in his days. But many have to make it sound wrapped in gold foil and coated with sparkly heaven dust. Sorry, the decades have sharpened my senses to these kinds of things, and what gets in the way.
Well, abide is only one word of many in the OP. It is used in place of, remain, continue, live, stay, dwell or a few others. I use it because most translations prefer it. Otherwise you get a lot of criticism from people. This is the first time I've been criticized for using it.

So it could read; If you remain in me and my word remains in you....

Or, If you live in me and my word lives in you....

Or, If you continue in me and my word continues in you...

Or, if you stay in me and my word stays in you....

Again, If you dwell in me and my word dwells in you...

They all look pretty similar, no.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think the Christians who follow Jesus are those who pay more attention to what he ostensibly did, rather than every word he ostensibly said.

Let's all keep in mind -- there were no tape recorders, cell phones, or even pencils and paper available to record these events as they happened.

They were painstakingly scribed on parchment - months, years, decades, centuries after the fact, from memory, or from passed-along stories from those claimed to be there, or knew someone who was.

The bible is regarded by all intelligent, sensible people as a wonderful compilation of wisdom, folklore, myth, allegory, and historical revisionism with dollops of possible reality here and there.

Plus there's a lot of crap.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:39 AM

9,694 posts, read 10,033,758 times
When the Lord answers a prayer then you must glorify God in your prayers every time .... One bonus to Glorifying the Lord is that pride is rejected , which is a must , as God resist the proud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity