Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the Substitutionary Atonement of Jesus Christ?
Yes, I believe in it. 31 59.62%
No, I do not believe in it. 19 36.54%
I'm still trying to decide. 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 10:09 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Why not?

It seems like they are a source of a lot of confusion. I do believe in the NT, but some of the books are strange. I can generally tell what's true and what might have some creative writing in it. dictionary.com says the root of apostle means "one who is sent out". How do we know they didn't get cast out of the church (or whatever religion they were a part of at the time) and they created their own doctrines? Most of us know what "apostasy" means. I believe in what Jesus stood for, but the way people make him out to be God is counter to OT teachings. There is so much focus on Jesus that you forget that God is above him. We are not supposed to forget that God rules everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
It seems like they are a source of a lot of confusion. I do believe in the NT, but some of the books are strange. I can generally tell what's true and what might have some creative writing in it. dictionary.com says the root of apostle means "one who is sent out". How do we know they didn't get cast out of the church (or whatever religion they were a part of at the time) and they created their own doctrines? Most of us know what "apostasy" means. I believe in what Jesus stood for, but the way people make him out to be God is counter to OT teachings. There is so much focus on Jesus that you forget that God is above him. We are not supposed to forget that God rules everything.
Jesus “sent out” the apostles. It’s right there in the gospels.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:18 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
I hear ya, but right now I'm not so sure that's what it means.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:45 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Nice. I like this. A non Trinitarian, critical thinker, with an ear, heart and mind to discern truth from lie.

My view is that Jesus was elevated, by doctrines of man/demons, to the Father's level to give the then current (and offer to subsequent) church hierarchy a bigger stick. Laurent Guyenot confirms such a view in his book From Yahweh to Zion, where he traces the history of a manipulative, lying priesthood with a jealous and vengeful tribal god Yahweh, duped onto the goyim / gentiles as the universal God.

Last edited by Age-enduring; 01-08-2019 at 11:58 PM..

Old 01-08-2019, 11:53 PM

1,382 posts, read 768,283 times
Quote:
Jesus “sent out” the apostles. It’s right there in the gospels.

Apparently, according to Yeshua in Revelation 2:2, in Paul's stomping grounds, Ephesus, there were those who called themselves "apostles" and were "false".

Old 01-09-2019, 01:52 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
I never said anything about something being difficult. I was merely discussing the issue someone raised about a “get out of hell free” card. There is no such thing.
This is what Mike believes...

Old 01-09-2019, 10:44 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Why would salvation be an issue if he already paid the penalty and punishment for your sin, what reason would you have to repent? Or, are you merely trying to claim his righteousness for that of your own, while subjecting him to your errors?
Because despite the fact that Jesus did the saving, it seems they want to claim some credit for it themselves, Jer. It is easier than actually following His instructions to love God and each other every day and repent when they don't. It seems they need the selfish salvation from Hell fear motivation even to try to love others.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:17 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The Bible says otherwise.
again, there us no substantiated proof..the bible cannot be used to prove the bible is authoritative...

Old 01-11-2019, 09:12 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
again, there us no substantiated proof..the bible cannot be used to prove the bible is authoritative...
The Bible did not write itself. It was written by men chosen by God to write it. The apostles for instance, having been chosen by Jesus, had the delegated authority of Jesus. Their writings reflect that authority.

Whether you choose to believe that or not. . . and you don't, is another matter.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:02 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The Bible did not write itself. It was written by men chosen by God to write it. The apostles for instance, having been chosen by Jesus, had the delegated authority of Jesus. Their writings reflect that authority.
However, the genuine or true word of god must be separated from the chaff of fallible, human ideologies that clutter the core message of the Scriptures (i.e., the false penal substitution theory, that of eternal damnation, an underworld of pain and suffering, etc.), which were contrived from the imaginations of men and various cultural mythologies of the unknown over time. You might choose to follow these false teachings, but others do not. Men were called to be accountable, not to pass the buck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity