Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 05:43 PM

33,311 posts, read 26,512,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Do you mean Panentheism?
Neither Pantheism or Panentheism are Biblical. Whichever view MysticPhD holds to, it is contrary to what the Bible says about God.

Panentheism, literally "all-in-God-ism", "affirms that although God and the world are ontologically distinct [i.e., not the same] and God transcends the world, the world is 'in' God ontologically." ^ [1]^ This is not to be confused with pantheism, which understands God to be the world. For most panentheists, God is intimately connected to the world and yet remains greater than the world. In this view, events and changes in the universe affect and change God, and he is therefore a temporal being. As the universe grows, God learns as he increases in knowledge and being. [Bolding mine]
https://www.theopedia.com/panentheism

God does not change according to the Bible.
Malachi 3:6 "For I, the LORD, do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed.

Psalm 102:25 "Of old You founded the earth, And the heavens are the work of Your hands. 26] "Even they will perish, but You endure; And all of them will wear out like a garment; Like clothing You will change them and they will be changed. 27] "But You are the same, And Your years will not come to an end.
Panentheism is incompatible with what the Bible says about God concerning the fact that He does not change, in contrast to the universe which does change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 05:59 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,392,832 times
The Scriptures say he changed his mind and the only constant is change.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
God does not ontologically change. His nature does not change. He doesn't grow old. He doesn't increase or decrease in any way. He is what He has always been and always will be. And I've already quoted two verses which state the fact that God does not change.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:46 PM

63,891 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
God does not ontologically change. His nature does not change. He doesn't grow old. He doesn't increase or decrease in any way. He is what He has always been and always will be. And I've already quoted two verses which state the fact that God does not change.
This means you reject the idea that God is a LIVING God because life IS (and requires) change.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
So, he is wrathful and always will be wrathful?

Old 02-17-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This means you reject the idea that God is a LIVING God because life IS (and requires) change.
No, it does not mean that I reject the idea that God is a living God. You have a very low view of God. What God created is subject to Change. God Himself, who has eternally existed and will always exist, is not subject to change. As the Bible says.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:45 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,418,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
You don't think that as a Christian I truly believed I had "cherished experiences" and even visions? But as an atheist I realize now that it was all in my head, it's what I wanted so badly to believe that I invented these things to prove to myself that god was real.
No one is mocking, especially not me. But I do believe there is a certain level of denial and delusion that goes along with "faith".
I know that Jesus supposedly said, Blessed are they that have not seen and yet believe...right? That's nice.

But, lemme tellya it is WAY better to have seen. I'm not knocking blind faith, exactly, (I really am)..
but it's not my thing...neither is inventing, sorry, Northsouth, I can't even relate to that.

Christians become lazy as all get out with this 'just believing' stuff.
It's a start I suppose...like the first step on a journey.
I say, find out for yourself, as in, don't believe anything or anybody...and how is that done?
Be still.
Go within.

Sit... in silence for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours....in a stillness
that is almost unimaginable ...and do this often...then know.
Even Jesus himself had to do this...except with fasting.
He was constantly going off in solitude while on his 3 yr mission....
Bible readers...underline all the times he went off by himself.
Underline what he said after 40 days alone...I have a motto..."Always listen to what a guy has to say
after fasting 40 days and nights'' ...especially in a rugged area like Utah.
Underline what he said over and over in Matthew when he emerged.
Those that have fasted for days...imagine 40...no bed, no roof, surrounded by rocks, alone.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I know that Jesus supposedly said, Blessed are they that have not seen and yet believe...right? That's nice.

But, lemme tellya it is WAY better to have seen. I'm not knocking blind faith, exactly, (I really am)..
but it's not my thing...neither is inventing, sorry, Northsouth, I can't even relate to that.

Christians become lazy as all get out with this 'just believing' stuff.
It's a start I suppose...like the first step on a journey.
I say, find out for yourself, as in, don't believe anything or anybody...and how is that done?
Be still.
Go within.

Sit... in silence for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours....in a stillness
that is almost unimaginable ...and do this often...then know.
Even Jesus himself had to do this...except with fasting.
He was constantly going off in solitude while on his 3 yr mission....
Bible readers...underline all the times he went off by himself.
Underline what he said after 40 days alone...I have a motto..."Always listen to what a guy has to say
after fasting 40 days and nights'' ...especially in a rugged area like Utah.
Underline what he said over and over in Matthew when he emerged.
Those that have fasted for days...imagine 40...no bed, no roof, surrounded by rocks, alone.
Every journey begins with a first step, and every step is a new journey.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:49 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,331,204 times
Quote:
So, he is wrathful and always will be wrathful?
He repented from that. I wish Jesus had dealt with fundies of his day differently than he did, for i never feel comfortable ripping the equivalent in our age in the same manner he did.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:49 AM

63,891 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
No, it does not mean that I reject the idea that God is a living God. You have a very low view of God. What God created is subject to Change. God Himself, who has eternally existed and will always exist, is not subject to change. As the Bible says.
The definition of living IS change or it is dead. You may be able to keep contradictory thoughts in your mind but most sane people do not. God is a LIVING God and that means God is growing and reproducing and WE are part of it as His children. That is why our universe is not only expanding but its rate of expansion is accelerating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity