Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 10:04 PM

3,220 posts, read 927,959 times

Advertisements

“The Father judges no one but has given all judgement over to the son because He is son of man.”

So if the son is son of man and He does the judging then how is it that scripture calls others to judge not only Jesus? Because Jesus is not the only son or only son of man!!!

“I said you are gods, all of you sons of the Most High.”

“Rise up O god and judge the earth.”

Matthew 19:28

Jesus said to them, "Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man is seated on the throne of his glory, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.”

Luke 22:30 NRS

“so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and you will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.”

“Stop judging by appearance, judge righteously.”

“If the son frees you, you shall truly be free.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 11:46 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,851,654 times
Jesus is "the" Son of God (1 John 4:15, 1 John 5:5).

Old 04-20-2022, 03:07 AM

9,694 posts, read 10,033,758 times
Jesus is the son of man, so when the great Judgment of the creation of God come through the end of time, most judgment will already been made, no matter how dreadful it will be for God, the book of life will be there........... Then any wrath of God today that people Works could go into victory or failure will be through the hand of God

Old 04-20-2022, 07:04 AM

20,057 posts, read 13,520,038 times
The scriptures say, "judge not, lest ye be judged" but they also say to judge righteously rather than by appearance. It speaks of "using discernment".

Despite that I see a lot in Holy Writ that is self-inconsistent, I don't really see these as incoherent. You should not be judgmental / self-righteous, but that doesn't mean that you don't have to decide what is the best course of whether someone is worthy of emulation or so on, and this requires you to decide if they are more right or wrong. If you did not have some basic level of ability to make moral judgments, you would have no ability to exercise free will or to make choices in life, whether good or bad.

That is subtly different than saying smugly, I'm better than this wicked vile subhuman person.

I think also that the NT is pretty consistent in reserving the right of judging men's eternal destiny to god and not man. That is in a different category from making evaluations around practical ethics.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:44 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,180,676 times
"Christ within" is the judge.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:11 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,719,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The scriptures say, "judge not, lest ye be judged" but they also say to judge righteously rather than by appearance. It speaks of "using discernment".

Despite that I see a lot in Holy Writ that is self-inconsistent, I don't really see these as incoherent. You should not be judgmental / self-righteous, but that doesn't mean that you don't have to decide what is the best course of whether someone is worthy of emulation or so on, and this requires you to decide if they are more right or wrong. If you did not have some basic level of ability to make moral judgments, you would have no ability to exercise free will or to make choices in life, whether good or bad.

That is subtly different than saying smugly, I'm better than this wicked vile subhuman person.

I think also that the NT is pretty consistent in reserving the right of judging men's eternal destiny to god and not man. That is in a different category from making evaluations around practical ethics.
Yep I agree, The judge not ….. lest you be judged, is not saying do not judge, decide, discriminate, etc

To me it seems to have a 3 level application and it is better not to judge if you are using ‘unrighteous’ judgement …. The reason being that the same measure that is used against others will also be used against yourself

It is unwise to cut things out of their context

Mat 7:1**“Do not judge, that you may not be judged,
Mat 7:2**for in what judgment you judge, you will be judged, and in what measure you measure, it will be measured to you.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:32 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,180,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
"Christ within" is the judge.
https://biblehub.com/greek/2919.htm

"J. Thayer comments that "the proper meaning of 2919 (krínō) is to pick out (choose) by separating" (as also used in Homer, Herodotus, Aeschyl., Xenophon, Plato). 2919 /krínō ("distinguish, judge") typically refers to making a determination of right or wrong (innocence or guilt), especially on an official (legal) standard. We only judge (2919 /krínō) accurately by intelligent comparison and contrast based on God's word, i.e. to approve (prefer) what is correct and reject what is inferior (wrong)."
13"for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. 14But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil."
to become mature on must to know, judge what is good and what is evil.
one must understand own limitations.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Jesus is "the" Son of God (1 John 4:15, 1 John 5:5).
Scripture says otherwise but you don’t want to believe. Real scripture that is.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Christians fail to understand what judging righteously is. This is because they do not believe in the One God sent.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:18 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,719,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
https://biblehub.com/greek/2919.htm

"J. Thayer comments that "the proper meaning of 2919 (krínō) is to pick out (choose) by separating" (as also used in Homer, Herodotus, Aeschyl., Xenophon, Plato). 2919 /krínō ("distinguish, judge") typically refers to making a determination of right or wrong (innocence or guilt), especially on an official (legal) standard. We only judge (2919 /krínō) accurately by intelligent comparison and contrast based on God's word, i.e. to approve (prefer) what is correct and reject what is inferior (wrong)."
13"for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. 14But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil."
to become mature on must to know, judge what is good and what is evil.
one must understand own limitations
True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity