Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 04:06 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
That doesn't mean that a person can't respond to the gospel message by making a decision to believe in Christ.
The simple unadulterated truth is that it is not possible to decide to believe in ANYTHING. It is not a choice or decision within our capability. We truly believe whatever we truly believe. What we truly believe has nothing to do with what we CLAIM to believe by our decisions or choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 04:17 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The simple unadulterated truth is that it is not possible to decide to believe in ANYTHING. It is not a choice or decision within our capability. We truly believe whatever we truly believe. What we truly believe has nothing to do with what we CLAIM to believe by our decisions or choices.
You miss the point. A person hears the Gospel and believes it (if he believes it). Therefore, he decides to place his faith in Christ for eternal life. That is what is meant by believing in Christ. Not believing that he existed, but believing that he died on the cross for our sins.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:24 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
God has given us the free will to accept or reject Him, follow Him or don’t follow Him. Jesus makes it very clear.

16 Jesus answered them and said, “My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me. 17 If anyone wills to do His will,he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority. (John 7:17)

“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.” (Matthew 23:37)

“Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: ”Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.” (Mark 8:34)

Old 02-17-2022, 11:06 AM

4,627 posts, read 1,171,293 times
Quote:
That doesn't mean that a person can't respond to the gospel message by making a decision to believe in Christ.
It means mans will, heart, affections serve sin. So whatever response to the Gospel will be sinful !

Old 02-17-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
It means mans will, heart, affections serve sin. So whatever response to the Gospel will be sinful !
You just said that believing in Christ in response to the gospel is sinful.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
You just said that believing in Christ in response to the gospel is sinful.
Yep, the Gospel to the natural man is foolishness, isnt that sinful response ? 1 Cor 1:18

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

So again the will of man is a slave to sin, his response to the Gospel proves it. He ridicules the Gospel, not believe it.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:39 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
To those who say there is no free will, define what you mean by 'Free will.'
We all have the freedom to make decisions that are consistent within our nature. So the unbeliever willfully chooses sin. The believer willfully chooses God. It's contingent on whether or not they can see the goodness of God. Pelagius said that one could freely see the good or the bad and he could choose. The Bible says sin blinds us.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
Yep, the Gospel to the natural man is foolishness, isnt that sinful response ? 1 Cor 1:18

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

So again the will of man is a slave to sin, his response to the Gospel proves it. He ridicules the Gospel, not believe it.
I suggest that you think long and hard about what you're saying, because it is most definitely not sinful to believe in Christ as a result of hearing the gospel, the purpose of which is to lead a person to belief in Christ.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I suggest that you think long and hard about what you're saying, because it is most definitely not sinful to believe in Christ as a result of hearing the gospel, the purpose of which is to lead a person to belief in Christ.
Man is a servant to sin, so his will isnt free.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:02 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
The natural man is as spiritually blind as the apostle Paul was physically blind after meeting Jesus on the road to Damascus. Ironically, Paul was a Jesus-hater before that. And no, he didn't just decide to believe one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity