Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 12:18 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
It seems many people I've recently conversed with believe the Lake of Fire is real physical fire.

Just curious, what do people here think it is - real physical fire? Spiritual fire (representing something else)? No idea?
The Bible says there will be a resurrection. So somehow we will have physical bodies. Those that are still in their sin will face a lake of fire, in a physical body. So what kind of a fire burns that doesn't consume the fuel and never goes out? No clue. So I cannot say if it's "real physical fire" or not, but it will affect physical bodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 12:22 PM

25,439 posts, read 9,798,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The Bible says there will be a resurrection. So somehow we will have physical bodies. Those that are still in their sin will face a lake of fire, in a physical body. So what kind of a fire burns that doesn't consume the fuel and never goes out? No clue. So I cannot say if it's "real physical fire" or not, but it will affect physical bodies.
Jesus was resurrected and could walk through walls. I wouldn't call his a physical body.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:42 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
When people die they aren't physical beings anymore. You can't burn a spirit.
There will be a resurrection of both the wicked and the just,

Dan 12:2, And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Jhn 5:28, Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
Jhn 5:29, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

I know that somebody already gave this answer; but I wanted to provide some scripture on the subject.

Quote:
Jesus was resurrected and could walk through walls. I wouldn't call his a physical body.
Jesus Christ is, in fact, come in the flesh (1 John 4:1-3, 2 John 1:7); that is, a physical body.

He ate a piece of fish and honeycomb after His resurrection (Luke 24:42-43).

Old 07-06-2022, 01:06 PM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
It wouldn't be physical, just as heaven wouldn't be physical / tangible. It's something else; of a nature that we can't know this side of eternity. When the time is right though, and we transfer over, it will then be clear what that all is.

Old 07-06-2022, 01:22 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It wouldn't be physical, just as heaven wouldn't be physical / tangible. It's something else; of a nature that we can't know this side of eternity. When the time is right though, and we transfer over, it will then be clear what that all is.
Exactly

There are things going on both above and within that we are just not able to comprehend- we get a dim understanding of it and that is dependent on our own state/part and our preparedness to receive it

It is called super-natural for a reason

Old 07-06-2022, 01:37 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,126,771 times
Thanks for the responses so far.

For those who think "physical fire", how is "death" thrown into "physical fire"?
Also, other good questions were raised - how does the fire burn forever?
How does it not burn up the physical bodies (or maybe it does... but then that would be annihilation)?
How would physical fire do anything to spiritual bodies?

Old 07-06-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Thanks for the responses so far.

For those who think "physical fire", how is "death" thrown into "physical fire"?
Also, other good questions were raised - how does the fire burn forever?
How does it not burn up the physical bodies (or maybe it does... but then that would be annihilation)?
How would physical fire do anything to spiritual bodies?
There are not answers for these, but I'm sure somebody will come up with something.

Old 07-06-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
There will be a resurrection of both the wicked and the just,

Dan 12:2, And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Jhn 5:28, Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
Jhn 5:29, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

I know that somebody already gave this answer; but I wanted to provide some scripture on the subject.

Jesus Christ is, in fact, come in the flesh (1 John 4:1-3, 2 John 1:7); that is, a physical body.

He ate a piece of fish and honeycomb after His resurrection (Luke 24:42-43).
Then how did he pass into a locked room? Physical bodies can't do that. Something doesn't add up. To me anyway.

I'm liking that scripture John 5:29. Very cool. That would be a lot of people I know.

Old 07-06-2022, 01:45 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,429,769 times
Jesus' resurrected body was a physical body of flesh and bone as he demonstrated to his disciples. He went out of his way to show that he wasn't a spirit. While his resurrected body was physical it was of a higher nature than ordinary flesh and bone and capable of doing things, such as walking through solid doors, that the pre-resurrection body is not capable of. At the same time Jesus in his resurrected body was capable of doing ordinary things such as eating and drinking, and being touched.

Old 07-06-2022, 01:47 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,694 times
Quote:
Then how did he pass into a locked room? Physical bodies can't do that. Something doesn't add up. To me anyway.

I'm liking that scripture John 5:29. Very cool. That would be a lot of people I know.
Teleportation? (rather than phasing)

Jesus is Omnipotent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity