Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 04:06 PM

23,138 posts, read 10,431,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
I am of the kjv-superior position. I believe that the King James Version is superior to all other translations and that any time there is a discrepancy between versions, we ought to fall back on what it says in the kjv.

Now, I want to say that the fact that there are many translations contributes to the disunity in the body of Christ.

I will give one example of a situation where the kjv differs in doctrine from other translations.

In the kjv:

1Pe 5:10, But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
1Pe 5:11, To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
1Pe 5:12, By Silvanus, a faithful brother unto you, as I suppose, I have written briefly, exhorting, and testifying that this is the true grace of God wherein ye stand.

Here we find the teaching that it is the true grace of God that God is sanctifying the believer and that after the believer has suffered a while, he will be made perfect; even in this life.

Now, compare the niv.

1Pe 5:10, And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

The esv.

1Pe 5:10, And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

The nlt.

1Pe 5:10, In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation.

The nkjv, at least, preserves this truth:

1Pe 5:10, But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.

The doctrine of entire sanctification is lost to some translations. Even the nkjv, which gets this verse right, will get other verses wrong by translating "perfect" as "mature" or "complete".

I would say that the doctrine of entire sanctification is important and may even be essential to salvation.

Therefore, in changing the message of scripture so that the doctrine of entire sanctification is lost to the majority, who adhere to such translations as do change this message,

The translators of such versions are doing the body of Christ a great disservice and creating disunity; perhaps even causing some who believe themselves to be Christians to be found outside of the body of Christ; while the visible body, which consists of the saved and the unsaved, may argue over this doctrine and others;

Wherein the kjv has it right;

And those other translators stand as teachers that men heap to themselves to tell them what their itching ears want to hear (2 Timothy 4:3).
Translations greatly matter because the wrong translation can completely change many scriptures, so many that I can think of several just off the top of my head.

Mathew 13 33
King James

The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

Mathew
New International
He told them still another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into about sixty pounds of flour until it worked all through the dough.”

Matthew
Holman Christian Standard Bible

He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into 50 pounds of flour until it spread through all of it.”

Matthew
Good News Translation

Jesus told them still another parable: "The Kingdom of heaven is like this. A woman takes some yeast and mixes it with a bushel of flour until the whole batch of dough rises."

Christian Standard Bible
He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like leaven that a woman took and mixed into fifty pounds of flour until all of it was leavened.”

I didnt even look at them all, but I am SERIOUSLY WONDERING WHAT KIND OF GENIUS BIBLE TRANSLATORS do these people think they are?

Are they blind or just crazy?

They need to go back to kjv

You take the 3 measures away, you take and render the 4 parables almost useless.

For those who dont know it, those 4 parables are 1.

The Sower
The Wheat and The Tare
The Mustard Seed
The Leaven

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 09-25-2022 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity