Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 10:48 AM

4,085 posts, read 875,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1689dave View Post
The thief on the cross? Peter says; “Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.” Acts 10:34–35 (KJV 1900)

According to this many who never hear the gospel are saved. Salvation precedes hearing the word!
The thief on the cross feared God; God’s salvation is near those who fear Him. See Psalm 85:9.

The thief on the cross believed Jesus; the work of God is to believe in the one He sent. See John 6:29.

The thief on the cross humbled himself. God pleads with people to be humble or they will never enter. See Matthew 18:3.

The thief admitted his sins, this is confession; he also admitted he deserved his punishment, that is regret and repentance for his sin. See Isaiah 66:2.

The thief on the cross confessed Jesus in front of others; Jesus says whoever acknowledges him before others, he will also acknowledge before his Father in heaven. See Matthew 10:32.

The thief was ready to wait on Jesus. We are told to wait on the Lord. See Psalm 62:1-2.

The thief also called on the name of the Lord, when he told Jesus to remember him when he got to his kingdom. The Bible says for us to call on the name of the Lord after repenting of our sins. See Acts 22:16.

The criminal on the cross obeyed a lot of things that Jesus says to do, it is the reason he saves someone. See John 14:23.

One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Christ? Save yourself and us!” Luke 23:39. But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Luke 23:40-43. Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

The thief on the cross feared God, believed in his heart, humbled himself, admitted his sins, confessed, repented, acknowledged Jesus before men, was willing to wait on him, and called on Jesus.

Both thieves on the cross believed in Jesus, but only one of the thieves obeyed.
One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Christ? Save yourself and us!” Luke 23:39
Jesus tells us what we have to do, what we have to do to have the kind of heart he saves. He knows our hearts. See Acts 15:8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 10:50 AM

444 posts, read 112,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
The Jews used to have to work at purifying themselves. That is the not of works Paul is speaking about.

Faith in Jesus' blood is what purifies us now, after we confess and repent of our sins.

People misunderstood Paul even during the New Testament times, and Peter says the ignorant and unstable are misunderstanding Paul, and then Peter warns us to obey. See 2 Peter 3:16, 17.

James heard of this false doctrine of faith alone too and then he explains in detail that faith alone is dead and cannot save anyone.
I'm at a loss as to how man chooses not believe what the bible plainly says and yet STRONGLY believe what the bible NEVER says. The bible NEVER says we are saved by faith alone. No where, never but it does tell us faith alone is dead.

I believe the bible!

Old 09-24-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Peter said it, not me. Many beyond the reach of the gospel are born again needing to hear the gospel.
No one is born again until they hear the gospel and believe and obey.

Quote:

According to Peter there are saved Muslims and others who need to hear the gospel. But if they remain in darkness, God has saved them just as he saves elect infants who never see the light of day.

Cornelius fit the description of one of these. He had the heart of love long before he heard Peter preach.
Some received the Holy Spirit before a water baptism, like Cornelius and his whole household.

What always has to happen first is repenting of sins, and Cornelius and his household prayed to God regularly.

Acts 10:2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.

Old 09-24-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Works don't and can't save you because eternal salvation is strictly the work of God. It is specifically stated in the Bible that we are not saved on the basis of our works.
Every time we are told by Paul 'not of works', circumcision is always the work Paul is speaking about, because circumcision of the flesh was the sign a person was doing the other purification works.

Quote:

In Ephesians 2:8-9 Paul says we are saved by grace through faith and not by works lest any man should boast. In other words, we cannot take any credit for our salvation. In Romans 11:6 Paul states that if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.
Paul is talking about not of the work of circumcision, because the Pharisees used to boast in how many people they converted and brag about how many foreskins they got.

Galatians 6:13 Not even those who are circumcised keep the law, yet they want you to be circumcised that they may boast about your circumcision in the flesh.

Quote:
Jesus told the Samaritan woman that all she needed to do was ask him and he would give her living water springing up to eternal life - John 4:10-14. He also told her that eternal life is the gift of God. You can't work for a gift or it is no longer a gift but something you earned. And you can't earn eternal life. Revelation 22:17 extends the invitation to anyone who is thirsty to come and take the water of life without cost. Eternal life is freely given to all who simply trust in Jesus for it. No works on our part involved.
God gives the gift to HIS CHILDREN.

You have to become a child of God's for Him to give you the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 18:3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 7:11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

God has to become your Father before He gives you the gift of the Holy Spirit.

John 1:12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--

John 8:41 You are doing the works of your father." "We are not illegitimate children," they declared. "Our only Father is God Himself."

John 8:44: Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

The one we obey is our father, whether we do what Satan wants, or what GOD wants.

Quote:

Works should be a part of the Christian's life but they have absolutely nothing to do with becoming eternally saved. But good works will be rewarded at the judgment seat of Christ as per 1 Corinthians 3:11-15.
You can repent for believing and following falseness, now that you have heard the truth.

Old 09-24-2022, 11:21 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,267,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosixx View Post
I'm at a loss as to how man chooses not believe what the bible plainly says and yet STRONGLY believe what the bible NEVER says. The bible NEVER says we are saved by faith alone. No where, never but it does tell us faith alone is dead.

I believe the bible!
Me too Turbosixx!

Old 09-24-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosixx View Post
i'm at a loss as to how man chooses not believe what the bible plainly says and yet strongly believe what the bible never says. The bible never says we are saved by faith alone. No where, never but it does tell us faith alone is dead.
I believe the bible!

amen.

Satan is messing with things.

Old 09-24-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
No one is born again until they hear the gospel and believe and obey.

Some received the Holy Spirit before a water baptism, like Cornelius and his whole household.

What always has to happen first is repenting of sins, and Cornelius and his household prayed to God regularly.

Acts 10:2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.
Dave’s go to Bible translation is KJV1900.

Case in point:

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.” (Romans 1:16 KJV 1900)

It is the gospel that brings salvation. Not the other way around. It does not say salvation is the power of God that brings the gospel. The gospel precedes salvation in every New Testament example.

Old 09-24-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post

Case in point:

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.” (Romans 1:16 KJV 1900)

It is the gospel that brings salvation. Not the other way around. It does not say salvation is the power of God that brings the gospel. The gospel precedes salvation in every New Testament example.
We do not get faith supernaturally, as many teach, but we get faith in a very human way, from reading/hearing the supernatural message.

Acts 11:14 He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.'

Where does our faith come from? Our faith comes from HEARING the word, see Romans 10:17. From hearing the word and being TAUGHT, Colossians 1:5, 7. From continuing in what we have been CONVINCED of, see 2 Timothy 3:14, and being PERSUADED, 2 Corinthians 5:11.

Old 09-24-2022, 12:14 PM

444 posts, read 112,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post

Case in point:

It should tell you something about what you believe, if you need a certain translation to make it work. I don't understand these KJV only people. Is it the only translation God authorized?? What if you can't read/understand English. I guess you're out of luck.

Old 09-24-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually, it's Colossians 2 that say our sins are paid for at the cross, not when we pray a prayer. John 3:16 doesn't say that we are forgiven when we believe. It says that the believers would not perish. It doesn't suggest that they take an action, or make a decision that causes salvation.
I agree with you that prayer does not save. The so-called sinner’s prayer is not Scriptural. I also agree that sin was paid for at the cross. It was paid for the whole world (1 John 2:2), but the whole world did not believe. Therefore many were and will be lost. Salvation is conditioned upon belief.

Jesus said whoever believes would have everlasting life. Everlasting life = salvation. Look at the context. Why do you think Jesus brings up the bronze serpent story?

“14 as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man must be lifted up. 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”

What happened to those who looked up at the serpent? They lived. What happened to those who didn’t? They died. What happens to those who believe? They are given eternal life. . What happens to those who don’t believe? They perish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity