Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 11:54 AM

15,849 posts, read 6,311,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Yep, the point is not to go back into bondage or under another teacher once you have left ‘the system’ we are to use what we learnt under the system in a different way

Gal 5:1**Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Gal 5:18**But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

I can’t speak for you obviously but what you have shared has a lot of similarities to what I have experienced
We can wave to EMike over in DicotomyLand. Hi EMike, have fun getting out of that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 12:02 PM

1,339 posts, read 650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
You have described the Protestant concept of Communion.

In the Catholic Church, it is not a wafer or bread. It is the Real and True Body and Blood of Christ. Unless you believe that at the words of consecration, the bread ceases to exist and actually becomes Christ Himself, you are not permitted to receive Communion in the Catholic Church.
Communion is something I've seen people argue about a lot. Even Catholics argue about it. Yes....Catholics. People in the same denomination argue about it.

I believe that before the priest does the statements "this is the body of christ....", the wafer is the wafer and after he makes the statements, the wafter becomes the Body of Christ.

Water is water and becomes "holy water" when it is blessed.

No need to overcomplicate something that does not need to be complicated.

But yes, I take it as a personal offense when someone denies me the Body of Christ. It's like saying "you don't agree with our church? then you cannot eat the Body of Christ". In my opinion, that is a direct offense to Jesus and anyone who follows Him.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:36 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,343,376 times
Quote:
How do you think God works? He has always worked through humans.
And he gave us discernment to be able to tell which is the real deal. Not every human who claims to speak for God actually speaks for God. God (Father of Jesus) gave us the Bible that we can study so that no one can come under the guise of speaking for the Lord to trip us up.

No church has really "hurt" me per say, but I do remember a church I went to where one of the leaders had it out for me. He would take various verses out of context and twist the meaning to try to use it as an attack, but each time he did that, I would turn around and school him on the actual context of the verse and what it is actually talking about.

So his tactics didn't work. All of a sudden, about a week later, some false rumors started going around about me. Someone or some people were bearing false witness. I realized what the church was about. So I walked away from that church.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:36 PM

11,066 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Water is water and becomes "holy water" when it is blessed.
Why isn't wine? The Last Supper was bread and wine, not bread and holy water. Jeez, they can't get anything right.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:40 PM

1,339 posts, read 650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Why isn't wine? The Last Supper was bread and wine, not bread and holy water. Jeez, they can't get anything right.
I was stating an example..... Holy water has nothing to do with communion....

Water becomes "holy" when blessed.

Here's a better example that is related to communion: wine. Wine becomes the Blood of Christ when it is blessed or when the priest says the words at the altar reminding us what Jesus said to his disciples.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:43 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I take responsibility for myself if that's what you mean. My arguments stand on their own good or bad. I need not hide behind an authority.
Nobody's hiding behind anything here, and that's not what authority is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
God knows where I am. If He wants me He'll come get me.
Indeed. We need to be constantly reminded to make ourselves worthy of God's pursuit; namely by learning the virtue of humility, since God rejects the proud.

2 Thessalonians 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you; that our God would make you worthy of his vocation...

2 Timothy 2:15 Carefully study to present thyself approved unto God...

Old 12-13-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
But yes, I take it as a personal offense when someone denies me the Body of Christ. It's like saying "you don't agree with our church? then you cannot eat the Body of Christ". In my opinion, that is a direct offense to Jesus and anyone who follows Him.
This, you need to take up with Paul.

1 Corinthians 11:23-29:

For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus, the same night in which he was betrayed, took bread. And giving thanks, broke, and said: Take ye, and eat: this is my body, which shall be delivered for you: this do for the commemoration of me. In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me. For as often as you shall eat this bread, and drink the chalice, you shall shew the death of the Lord, until he come. Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord.

But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of the chalice. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:53 PM

I provide my own bread (naan stuff like pita bread) and red wine, and have my own communion. I do that in remembrance of Him, in spirit and meditation as close to the Upper Room as possible. No stuffy churches and robed middlemen to ruin the experience.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I provide my own bread (naan stuff like pita bread) and red wine, and have my own communion. I do that in remembrance of Him, in spirit and meditation as close to the Upper Room as possible. No stuffy churches and robed middlemen to ruin the experience.
Does it ever get lonely way up there?

Old 12-13-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Does it ever get lonely way up there?
Lonely? The Holy Spirit and I meditating together in pure bliss, in deep reflection of the life of Jesus? Nope.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-13-2022 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity