Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:49 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
the evil atheist woman who managed to have prayer removed from schools.
I would like to point out that prayer is allowed in schools. The schools are just not allowed to make kids pray or favor any religion over others.

Students are allowed to pray as long as they do it on their own and don't try to force their beliefs/practices on to any other student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 12:18 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,110,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Wow.. thats kinda strong. You want God to take revenge on people because of a license plate? Its amazing why more people don't look at fundamentals in a kind light.

Honestly.. wow...
Maybe revenge was the wrong word. Justice is more appropriate. (I shouldn't be posting at 2:30am!) I do believe there is justice to be had in situations like this because it is downright discrimination against Christians.

I could care less about personalized license plates. That's not even the issue here to me. It's the fact that some people are so violently against God that they can't even allow others to live and express their beliefs. Isn't that what "tolerance" and freedom of religion and freedom of speech is about? HYPOCRITES! If it were a personalized license plate for anything else, this group of people would not have gotten outraged. If it had been for buddhists, hare krishna or something demonic, they would be fighting for that person's freedom of expression.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:35 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,072,460 times
Current SC Plates -> SC Department of Motor Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
If it had been for buddhists, hare krishna or something demonic, they would be fighting for that person's freedom of expression.
I'm not so sure: "Washington-based Americans United for Separation of Church and State filed the lawsuit on behalf of two Christian pastors, a humanist pastor and a rabbi in South Carolina, along with the Hindu American Foundation"

What I'm trying to say is you are over generalizing an entire group of people based on the actions of a few. I'm guilty of that all the time.

Also..

This isn't the actual plate but SC is following Florida's lead on this. Supposedly the final plate design hasn't been finished.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the picture of the license plate. My understanding was that a private citizen went into the DMV and requested the words "I Believe" or something like "I BLIEVE" as a vanity license plate and people were in an uproar about that.

Now that I have the facts... I do see this as the government's way of trying to horn in the "Christian Market" to make money because the Christian market is a big one. Even Hollywood has tried to get in on it and make "Christian movies" that have nothing to do with Christianity, but their version and understanding of it. (This has mainly happened in the B-movie category and usually the apocalyptic-type movies.)

Would I want to see someone's license plate with a Wiccan symbol on it? Buddhist? Muslim? No. So, I can see why people don't want to see a cross on someone's license plate. Everyone who said it doesn't get you closer to God is absolutely correct. It's like having a fish logo on your car. It means NOTHING to God that people have these things either. He wants to see it lived out, not put on display. This is just about dollars on the part of the state.

Thanks for the correction, BigThirsty! (I will have to not stay up quite so late... I'm not used to it!)

Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times
Quote:
It means NOTHING to God that people have these things either. He wants to see it lived out, not put on display.
Seeings how you aren't God and you don't know the motivations of the heart of someone who might put an innocent fish symbol on their car, that seems to be a very bold statement.

Are you 100% sure you can speak for God?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:11 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,583,597 times
I think it goes back to what people want. Obviously, if these plates were being funded by the state, and the people getting them weren't paying extra, then that could be a problem? Regarding whether or not a cross/fish symbol will make anyone trust in the Lord, I personally don't think so, but honestly, I cannot make that 100% factual! I'm not God, but I will say that if anyone does have the cross or fish on their car, remember that the world is watching even closer at how you conduct yourself on the road, so that's something to think about..

Old 06-20-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Seeings how you aren't God and you don't know the motivations of the heart of someone who might put an innocent fish symbol on their car, that seems to be a very bold statement.

What I mean by saying that is that it's not in these outward shows that makes a person a Christian. By the teachings in the late 80's and 90's, these things were considered as evidence that a person was a "radical Christian" (to use the phrase that was coined during these times.) The proof of a person's salvation isn't in the Jesus T-shirts and bumper stickers. It's not in claiming to be a Christian. It's in the lifestyle of the person and obedience.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:00 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,700,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

Amen! We really need to be cautious in what we think the motive of another is.....!
Truly and yes indeed only God can judge the heart of another's soul.

Blessings

Old 06-20-2008, 02:03 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times
Quote:
What I mean by saying that is that it's not in these outward shows that makes a person a Christian. By the teachings in the late 80's and 90's, these things were considered as evidence that a person was a "radical Christian" (to use the phrase that was coined during these times.) The proof of a person's salvation isn't in the Jesus T-shirts and bumper stickers. It's not in claiming to be a Christian. It's in the lifestyle of the person and obedience.
I understand that but that's a bit different than saying "It means NOTHING to God". I know some folks who aren't physically able to 'do' a lot for the Kingdom but they wear their t-shirts and necklaces proudly proclaiming their love for Christ.

I even have one of my youth group that is mentally and physically disabled but he loves to be with us and do what he can. It would hurt those types of people to hear that all they are capable of 'doing'(I hate that word) means nothing to God.

That's why I wrote that.

For some, a fish or a bumper sticker is as close to 'work' for the Kingdom as they are capable. And I can't help but think God honors the purity of their motivations in their hearts.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:05 PM

I didn't mean to infer... which is my error.... that everyone that has a Jesus t-shirt or a bumper sticker is wrong, or isn't saved, just because they have them.

I just came from that era of teaching and saw that many people were relying on these outward shows as evidence of their belief and the evidence of their salvation. Many other parts of their lives weren't showing good fruit, but because they merely believed in God and had these outward symbols, they regarded themselves as Christians.

I was wrong to not clarify that. My apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity