Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:13 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

Nation's third president compiled the four Gospels into a single text without miracles that ends with Jesus' burial rather than the resurrection.

Making good on a promise to a friend to summarize his views on Christianity, Thomas Jefferson set to work with scissors, snipping out every miracle and inconsistency he could find in the New Testament Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Jefferson Bible reveals Founding Father's view of God, faith - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 09:42 AM

553 posts, read 568,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Nation's third president compiled the four Gospels into a single text without miracles that ends with Jesus' burial rather than the resurrection.

Making good on a promise to a friend to summarize his views on Christianity, Thomas Jefferson set to work with scissors, snipping out every miracle and inconsistency he could find in the New Testament Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Jefferson Bible reveals Founding Father's view of God, faith - Los Angeles Times

Smart guy.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:00 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
Smart guy.
Yes he was. Too bad he won't be in God's Kingdom; I would have enjoyed talking with him throughout eternity. BTW he was one of the "founding fathers"; almost all of the others had firm Christian beliefs.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:57 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Well, except Ben Franklin...now THERE'S someone I'd like to talk to! Does anyone know about George Washington's faith? All I know is that he was Anglican and liked the book of proverbs.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times
This isn't news. Not all founding fathers were Christians. Many were however. All the quoting in the world from the ones who weren't doesn't change the fact that this nation was founded on Christian principles and morals.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:04 PM

24 posts, read 28,549 times
Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, and James Madison, and probably George Washington (certainly not a Christian) were all deist...

Last edited by Terry05; 07-07-2008 at 10:11 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry05 View Post
Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, and James Madison, probably George Washington (certainly not a Christian) were all deist...
Take a look at these.

Quotes of the Founders : Founding Fathers quotes on religion, faith, Christianity

Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 PM

24 posts, read 28,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I actually read the Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography Part 1 and 2, Thomas Jefferson's The Autobiography of Thomas Jefferson, The Declaration of Independence (the original and the revised versions) and Thomas Paine's Common Sense: Intro, Part 1 and 2, The American Crisis: November 1, and The Age of Reason. They explain thoroughly the founding of the US...quite different from someone speculating...and it wasn't founded on Christian Principles

Remember deist do not believe in the revelation; but they believed in God...so it is not a conflict for them to write about god or the teachings of Jesus...they view Jesus as a man, not the son of god....i would recommend you read what they actually wrote about the subject.

Last edited by Terry05; 07-07-2008 at 10:37 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry05 View Post
...so it is not a conflict for them to write about god or the teachings of Jesus...they view Jesus as a man, not the son of god....i would recommend you read what they actually wrote about the subject.
Yet today the left wants to throw God out of the public square entirely when it was never meant to be that way. While there may be some merit to the belief that the founding fathers weren't evangelical Christians as we know today, they did believe in God and respected religion and highly respected the moral values it teaches. So yes, this country WAS founded on Christian principles in that sense.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:59 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
All the quoting in the world from the ones who weren't doesn't change the fact that this nation was founded on Christian principles and morals.
Well, except for that principle about submitting to the government authorities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity