Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:26 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times

Advertisements

I think it boils down to the person's ignorance of the One whose name they speak of.

A holy sorrow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 07:15 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Speaking for God, with no power in it. That is vain.

To speak of love, when you dont love; that is vain.

To give someone a 'blessing' when you don't mean it; that is vain.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:16 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,225,814 times
I do think that taking terms like gosh and jeeze(gee) as taking the Lords name in vain is bordering, if not being, legalistic. I say gosh a lot. I also say jeeze(gee)... yet I don't do so in a way that is taking the Lord's name in vain or making it such a common thing.

Granted before knowing the Lord and entering into a personal relationship where I did know His word, His way, and Him at a deeper level than just a head knowledge, I did often use the Lords name. Once I became a christian, slowly this began to change as I grew spiritually. Words such as gosh were then used more frequently as an expression of some sort of thought or emotion, but not because of taking the Lord's name in vain, more out of reverence to the Lord's name and not wishing to do so.

If someone does something that surprises me I may say something like "gosh what a surprise" or "gosh that was really nice of you to do". I don't believe that is taking the Lord's name in vain. By the same token, I sometimes may use the term jeeze(gee) such as saying "gee I never would have thought of that". Again, I don't believe that this is taking His name in vain.

God looks at the intent of our hearts. Can those words be used in a manner that takes the Lord's name in vain? Absolutely if one were to say something like "gosh darn it" well yeah you can clearly see what the original intent behind what those words were meaning to say was. But to assume that the words are always meant to take the Lord's name in vain misses the point of the intention of the individual saying it and the context in which it is said and that I do believe borders on legalism.

It's much like God's word, taken out of context, scripture can mean one thing to the person doing so or the person receiving the word taken out of context. However, taken in the full context, it holds the truer meaning of the word.

Fortunately God looks at hearts and the intentions within it. I think God knows the difference between when terms like gosh, golly, jeeze or gee are used as a way to take His name in vain and when it is not.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:41 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
I do think that taking terms like gosh and jeeze(gee) as taking the Lords name in vain is bordering, if not being, legalistic. I say gosh a lot. I also say jeeze(gee)... yet I don't do so in a way that is taking the Lord's name in vain or making it such a common thing.
Let's be honest. what does gosh and jeeze mean????? what are they alluding to? oh whatever could it mean...... what do they sound close to? Please let's be honest!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:02 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
If I believed that god cared I would probably say that it's the way the term is used or the intention involved that might offend him...not the word itself. Mari4him may utter "jeez or jeeeesh (my favorite)" because she dropped a plate or smacked her finger with a hammer but she is certainly not doing that with the intention of taking god's name in vain. And if what you say about god knowing what is in our hearts is true, then god would know there was no malice nor vanity in Mari4him's words.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
If I believed that god cared I would probably say that it's the way the term is used or the intention involved that might offend him...not the word itself. Mari4him may utter "jeez or jeeeesh (my favorite)" because she dropped a plate or smacked her finger with a hammer but she is certainly not doing that with the intention of taking god's name in vain. And if what you say about god knowing what is in our hearts is true, then god would know there was no malice nor vanity in Mari4him's words.
Dude that is not what I asked. I don't care if you smashed her finger or cut it off, there are many other words it could mean. WHAT DOES JEEZ AND GOSH STAND FOR!!??

WHAT DO THEY SOUND FAMILIAR WITH????

Old 10-14-2008, 10:53 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Dude that is not what I asked. I don't care if you smashed her finger or cut it off, there are many other words it could mean. WHAT DOES JEEZ AND GOSH STAND FOR!!??

WHAT DO THEY SOUND FAMILIAR WITH????
Doggonit, why are you screaming at people who don't agree with you. So if I cannot say gosh darn it when I crush my thumb what would you suggest I say?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Doggonit, why are you screaming at people who don't agree with you. So if I cannot say gosh darn it when I crush my thumb what would you suggest I say?
Are you even a Christian?!!!
Caps were on, too lazy to change but nobody has answered the question. What does gosh mean, why gosh what is it in place of? jeez, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand jeez? I believe

Old 10-14-2008, 01:25 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Speaking for God, with no power in it. That is vain.

To speak of love, when you dont love; that is vain.

To give someone a 'blessing' when you don't mean it; that is vain.
Yes, that is something that I dislike, people who say God bless when you know that it is not what they mean.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:45 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Are you even a Christian?!!!
Caps were on, too lazy to change but nobody has answered the question. What does gosh mean, why gosh what is it in place of? jeez, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand jeez? I believe
The fruits of the spirit are love, joy, peace, long suffering, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith ...........

Those who want to comment and give opinions have.

Jeez is NOW an expression of surprise - it is like hell was a place to put potatoes etc under cover - it meant covered over

- but now it is a fiery place where our loving merciful Father apparently torments a lot of his creation forever.

Quote:
Etymology

[edit]
Germanic paganism and Christian vocabulary

"Hel" (1889) by Johannes Gehrts.

The modern English word Hell is derived from Old English hel, helle (about 725 AD to refer to a nether world of the dead) reaching into the Anglo-Saxon pagan period, and ultimately from Proto-Germanic *halja, meaning "one who covers up or hides something".[3] The word has cognates in related Germanic languages such as Old Frisian helle, hille, Old Saxon hellja, Middle Dutch helle (modern Dutch hel), Old High German helle (Modern German Hölle), and Gothic halja.[3] Subsequently, the word was used to transfer a pagan concept to Christian theology and its vocabulary[3] (however, for the Judeo-Christian origin of the concept see Gehenna).

The English word hell has been theorized as being derived from Old Norse Hel, meaning satan's uterus giving birth to a wide-mouthed, three-headed goose.[3] Amongst other sources, the Poetic Edda, compiled from earlier traditional sources in the 13th century, and the Prose Edda, written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson, provide information regarding the beliefs of the Norse pagans, including a being named Hel, who is described as ruling over an underworld location of the same name.

[edit]
Profanity

The word "Hell" used away from its religious context was long considered to be profanity, particularly in North America. Although its use was commonplace in everyday speech and on television by the 1970s, many people in the US still consider it somewhat rude or inappropriate language, particularly involving children.[4] Many, particularly among religious circles and in certain sensitive environments, still avoid casual usage of the word. In British English and some parts of North America, the word has fallen into common use and is not considered profane; often considered to be a safer and less offensive alternative to swearing, as in the phrase, "Go to Hell!" or "Bloody Hell!"[citation needed].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity