Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:11 PM

411 posts, read 1,165,865 times

Advertisements

What exactly is it? Is it like taking Christianity to the point of extremism? Can you give me some examples? Why is it necessarily bad?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 10:34 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,239,057 times
Christian fundamentalism is like Nazism, they both take away choice from the individual.
Supposedly for the people’s own good.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
its just like islamic fundamentalism but without the towel on the head.
facinating we go to war with people like us.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:55 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
I am a 'Fundy'.

We recognize that mainstream Christianity has changed a great deal over the passing centuries. Every era of 'prophets', popes, and founding fathers; added and changed doctrines away from the original doctrines that were understood during the Bible eras.

We want to get down to the Fundamental doctrines of the Bible, without the added Greek doctrines, with out the added Roman doctrines. Just the essential Judeo-Christian doctrines.

So to study the Bible, for what it says. And to really examine 'church' doctrine, for where did each doctrine originate. Usually the long developed church doctrines have a political history and an expediency to them which has long since faded away.

If the Bible is God's Word to us, then why change it?

If it is God's Word then it should be our only source for doctrine, and not men's reasoning. Not a political leader's reasoning.

I am surprised to hear it compared to: Nazis, as taking away choices from the individual. If you wish to believe a new doctrine, have a ball. I have no desire to take anything from you. We are free from the Law, to live in liberty which is in Christ.

I also fail to see any comparison to Islamic fundamentalism.

That is just me.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:09 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

I am surprised to hear it compared to: Nazis, as taking away choices from the individual. If you wish to believe a new doctrine, have a ball. I have no desire to take anything from you......
I also fail to see any comparison to Islamic fundamentalism.
I'm not surprised. There is no new doctrine about tricky's view\comment. How do you think Hitler came about in the first place....by people not being able to differentiate between good from evil (Hitler). He doesn't see any difference, as I said before the stage is being set yet once again.

Matthew 5:13
"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men."

Sadly, more and more people in the US think are thinking that way too. If we listen to the 'enlightened' we will be good for nothing.

Quote:
We are free from the Law, to live in liberty which is in Christ.
Keep saying that...please!

Quote:
That is just me.
You're not alone. Hopefully enough will pray for this country that the salt doesn't lose it saltiness

Old 09-14-2008, 09:29 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Christian fundamentalism is like Nazism, they both take away choice from the individual.
Supposedly for the people’s own good.
Spoken like someone with no clue of Christianity.

The whole basis of Christianity is choosing to answer God's calling.

Some choose to answer that call, some choose not to. But everyone makes a choice.

To answer the OP, you might want to read this thread but in particular this post.

Links posted above:

Any Christians worried about the rise of Christian Fundamentalism ?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/5192338-post11.html

Old 09-14-2008, 11:42 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,239,057 times
Originally Posted by Alpha8207
Quote:
Spoken like someone with no clue of Christianity.
That or I simply understand religion and the Nazi-ideology better than you do.
Nazis are fundamentalists too except they have replaced their divine all-father with Hitler.

Quote:
The whole basis of Christianity is choosing to answer God's calling.

Some choose to answer that call, some choose not to. But everyone makes a choice.
Some answered Hitler's call freely and some literally were forced to 'choose' between Nazism and death.

In the end there is no difference between the different fundamentalists; they all are convinced that they hold the truth and that they are doing the right thing for the majority of the people (read: their own faction).

Last edited by Tricky D; 09-15-2008 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-15-2008, 11:30 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,634,279 times
It is whatever people morph it into for their own argument's sake.

Really, Christian fundamentalism should be exactly what it sounds like. Following the fundamentals of the Christian faith, as outlined in the Bible, and most specifically the new testament.

What the media and a lot of others are trying to do is make fundamentalism and extremism interchangeable terms when referring to Christianity or Islam. I think it is deceitful to do so.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:14 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,629 times
Quote:
We want to get down to the Fundamental doctrines of the Bible, without the added Greek doctrines, with out the added Roman doctrines. Just the essential Judeo-Christian doctrines.
That leaves very few doctrines. Many religions borrow tons of concepts and Christianity is no exception.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:16 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,185,985 times
Universalists claim that their beliefs were the most common interpretation of Christianity in the ancient church, prior to the 6th century. The question then is who is a fundamentalist after all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity