Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times

Advertisements

I write this based upon my wife's interaction with a quasi relative's proclamation as a Satanist a self proclaimed establishes-er of a Satanist Church.

My thought here is that my distant in-law is very like a fundamentalist Christian - that is, he reads into the bible all that supports what he believes, and uses that to support his claim.

I am asking that you fundamentalists, you believers in the literal truth of the bible, what do you YOU think? Is Satan SO powerful that He deserves his own Church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 09:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I write this based upon my wife's interaction with a quasi relative's proclamation as a Satanist a self proclaimed establishes-er of a Satanist Church.

My thought here is that my distant in-law is very like a fundamentalist Christian - that is, he reads into the bible all that supports what he believes, and uses that to support his claim.

I am asking that you fundamentalists, you believers in the literal truth of the bible, what do you YOU think? Is Satan SO powerful that He deserves his own Church?
You don't really expect ANY Christian, fundamentalist or otherwise, to say Satan "deserves his own church" do you??

Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You don't really expect ANY Christian, fundamentalist or otherwise, to say Satan "deserves his own church" do you??
What I wonder is if any Christian believes Satan is SO powerful that He is the equal to God...

Old 06-09-2013, 10:00 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
what i wonder is if any christian believes satan is so powerful that he is the equal to god...
No.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:05 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
You might want to check and see if this is one of the more or less followers of Anton La Vey Welcome to the Church of Satan in which case the name is more for shock value than anything else, though they say that Satan is a figurative representative of the desires of men. I suppose that we could use outdated Freudian terms and say that it is the celebration of the Id as opposed to the Super-ego or, If you want it and can get away with it, go for it. I call him the poor man's Ayn Rand.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:15 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Fundamentalism and Satanism?

Adversity already has it's own Church; it's called fear.
Whether the threat is real or imagined it creates panic.

Many believe that they love others to the full extent that God loves them.
However, in their heart and mind, they love only themselves.
Condemning the rest of humanity to hell from their own fears.

Last edited by Jerwade; 06-09-2013 at 11:35 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 05:58 AM

796 posts, read 858,919 times
Quote:
What I wonder is if any Christian believes Satan is SO powerful that He is the equal to God...
He want's to be but cannot. He can deceive some into believing he is.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:20 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I call him the poor man's Ayn Rand.
Ayn Rand had no room for the poor in her dark heart. Of course you know that, I'm sure.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:23 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Fundamentalism and Satanism?

Adversity already has it's own Church; it's called fear.
Whether the threat is real or imagined it creates panic.

Many believe that they love others to the full extent that God loves them.
However, in their heart and mind, they love only themselves.
Condemning the rest of humanity to hell from their own fears.

Love Comes From God 1John Chapter 4

7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loves is born of God, and knows God. 8He that loves not knows not God; for God is love. 9In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. 10Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. 12No man has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwells in us, and his love is perfected in us. 13Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. 14And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world. 15Whoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwells in him, and he in God. 16And we have known and believed the love that God has to us. God is love; and he that dwells in love dwells in God, and God in him. 17Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. 18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear: because fear has torment. He that fears is not made perfect in love. 19We love him, because he first loved us. 20If a man say, I love God, and hates his brother, he is a liar: for he that loves not his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? 21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loves God love his brother also.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,993 times
Quote:
There might be branches of Christianity that consider the devil as a kind of semi-god, not really all powerful but almost as powerful as God, I think thats also the way the devil is commonly presented in pop culture.

Personally I believe that God created Satan for its purpose, I do neither believe in an entity called Lucifer who is said to once have been an angel. I think what I believe in this regard is also in line with common Jewish belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity