Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,438,567 times

Advertisements

The Greek KOSMOS contains definitions depending on the contexts in which it is used and is found. It can either mean the the people of the world that are in view, or it can mean the state of sin which has infected man's environment. That is the culture of his surroundings.

Christ is the acceptable substitutionary sacrifice that satisfies God's justice thereby removing his wrath from us. What is so interesting about the ultimate intent of this propitation that John streses in 1 John 2:2

He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

...is that he includes the sins of the "whole world" within its intention. What does John mean here by the word "the world" as it relates to all whom Christ has died to save? We can take some time here to interest ourselves as to who He died for, and whom He did NOT die for, thereby clarifying the meaning of the word "world" as John uses it here.

First, the scriptures teach that Christ died for all those whom He had chosen to save. It is clear that God does not choose to save everybody, as it equally clear that if Christ made propitation for all people for all time (i.e. everyone that has ever lived, does live, and will live on earth) then because of the very nature and meaning of propitation, it would make mandatory that all, whether they wanted it or not, would have been placed in a position of acceptability with God. This is impossible because the scriptures teach that a great many will in fact suffer forever in the lake of Fire, receive the secon death, (Rev 20:11-15; Matt 25:41-46, etc)

Since God's wrath has been satisfied through a "supposed" universal propitation (held by some at this forum and throughout the world) then there is no reason for anyone to be rejected from God's Heaven, and it would be completely wrong and unjust for Him to send anyone to Hell for the sins that have already been propitated for in Christ. If the word "world" here means anybody and everybody who ever lived, then the scriptures are wrong elsewhere when they teach that many will be judged go into the Lake of Firefor all eternity. After all, Christ has propitated for everybody...right?

No. The evangelical antagonist would say:

"While Christ surely paid the price for everyone, not everyone believes - places faith in Christ in order to appropiate this propitation."

Fair enough. Where does saving faith come from?

Not from the dead in "trespasses in sins" sinner, for the Bible teaches that man outside of regeneration does not possess it. - 2 Thess 3:2

And pray that we may be delivered from wicked and evil men, for not everyone has faith.

The faith that saves is a possession of God and His Christ - Acts 26:18; Gal 2:16,20; John 6:29; Acts 14:27 - and that saving faith is the direct gift from God - Eph 2:8; Phil 1:29; Heb 12:2 - which said gift is given to those whom He has chosen (elected) unto it - Rom 9:11-13, 22-23; 11:5,7,28; 2 Thess 2:13; Eph 1:4-5,11; John 15:16; Acts 13:48; 1 Peter 1:2; 2 Tim 1:9; Rev 13:8, 17:8.

The world/Kosmos is the cultural and societal surroundings in the context therein it is placed, not the entire earth as we know it, with everyone in it. In John 3:16, God so loved the WORLD, does not necessitate that each person in the world is salvificly loved of God and the Son because that would contradict the very teachings of the scripture concerning those who come under his redemption and those who come under His retribution. God hates the wicked. Specifically wicked people, not simply those who commit wicked acts. This is because of His holiness - Psa 5:5, 11:5; Mal 1:2-3 - The Lord Jesus proclaims that He loves and saves those who He has chosen out of the world - John 17:6, 15:16 - but refuses to even pray for those who are of the world - John 17:9

Clearly, Biblical soteriology flies directly in the face for those who hold the "God loves everybody - Jesus died for everybody" type of motif. The truth remains regarding those for whom Christ died, that they are in fact called "the world". But this terminology does not include every person who has ever lived or will live on the planet, past, present orfuture. As to the "power and ability" of the blood of Christ to save or propitate for every person, we do not question in the least. Christ's death was able to save everyone. That is not the issue. While substituionary death was able to save all, it is within the purview of the predestinating and selctive (elective) will of God is at issue here as to who is saved, and who is not.

Christ's death was sufficient for all people, but it is efficient only for those elect called out of the world. Upon looking further into the scripture, we can rightfully and carfeully discern that "KOSMOS" only relates to the very context in which it is used.

Luke 2:1 And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world (KOSMOS) should be taxed.

If the idea of world here in Luke 2:1 means each and every person on the planet, then we have a problem. The Roman Empire did not encompass the people living in Australia, or China, or Japan, or even the Americas. The world of Luke 2:1 was limited to the inhabitants of the Roman Empire.

The prophet Agabus proclaimed by direct revelation of the Spirit ofGod that a famine wasabout to come upon all the world. Does the "world" here have reference to the inhabitants of the Polynesian Isalnds in the South Pacific> What about the inhabitants of South America? Clearly, both the wording and the context point towards the world of the Roman Empire. In fact, this is the same famine that Paul the Apostle was taking upp collections for from amongst the churches that he ministered to in various parts of the Empire, for the specific benefit of the Jerusalem Christians who were in the middle of the prophesied famine. We find these referrences in 1 Cor 16:2, 2 Cor 8-9 and Phillipians 4. This famine that Agabus refers to is clearly limited to a specific time and geography in the first century history of the reign of Claudius Caesar.

John 12:18-19 For this cause the people also met him, for that they heard that he had done this miracle. The Pharisees therefore said among themselves, Perceive ye how ye prevail nothing? behold, the world (KOSMOS) is gone after him.

As Christ was making His entrance into Jerusalem during the Passover feast and the days of Unleavened Bread while riding on a donkey, the Pharisees were noting how the great mass of people that were there in Jerusalem for the celebrations, were all thronging Him and shouting "Hosanna". It was such a great mass of people, it certainly looked to them, that the whole "world" had gone after Him. But was the enitre populace of the planet being referrenced here? Of course not. The Pharisees were engaged in using the whole "world" as a metaphor in their attempt to enunciate what seemed tio them a hopeless situation in their attempts to try and curtail Jesus' popularity amongst the people.

It is clear that KOSMOS is deduced to its context therein. Just as in John 3:16, Cthe context was that of the Old Covenant world, as the discourse begins:

There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

The discourse is set to that of the covenantal system in place with the Jewish people. As we see here just after the beloved passage:

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Christ was sent into the world of the Mosaic, Old Covenant, and His death was the redemption of tha very covenant in which He fulfilled to the letter. He redeemed the very garden in which Adam was cast from for his sin, and now in Christ, we can enter back into that very garden and drink freely and eat freely from the River and Tree of Life.

And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, [was there] the tree of life, which bare twelve [manner of] fruits, [and] yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree [were] for the healing of the nations.

Christ is the propitation for the sins of the whole world, does not mean every person alive or whoever will live that is in view in the expression of the world. COupled together with all of the mass texts within the scripture that does teach that it is only the elect who are the recipients of the efficiency of His death, and we arrive at a much clearer understanding of what John is speaking of and to in 1 John 2:2. He is speaking of the "world of believers", or those whom Christ has chosen or elected "out of the world" - John 17:6

I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:50 PM

No rebuttals from the Universalists?

Old 02-02-2010, 06:49 PM

63,849 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
No rebuttals from the Universalists?
Your ENTIRE premise of a punishing atonement, wrathful God, and "exclusive club" salvation is BOGUS from the outset. That is usually referred to as using the wrong context for the exegesis. There is no wrath in God, He requires no punishment for anything, His "laws" establish the working of the universe and there are CONSEQUENCES for violating them (like the law of gravity, etc.). Our job is to learn them and avoid the consequences. The "laws" encompass more than consequences of violating the physical laws (like gravity) . . . there are moral laws that have consequences for failure to stay safely within their bounds ("love God and each other"). NONE of those consequences (physical or moral) are PUNISHMENTS . . . just consequences. God's concern is keeping us from failing and suffering the consequences . . . NOT INFLICTING them. Bottom line . . . NONE of the consequences will be eternal!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 PM

37 posts, read 51,513 times
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. Jn3:16

God loves His creation. He has provided a way for 'whoever believes'. the way is open for anyone who will believe, if they are able to believe.

did Jesus die for the whole world? 2 Cor.5:21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. Jesus became sin and took it to the grave. man is saved on believing on the Lord Jesus Christ. man is lost when he rejects Jesus as the Christ of God.

funny, I was reminising my foster mother, was reformed church, believed Jesus only died for the elect. sorry, I can not go for this. I read the Bible differently from you.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your ENTIRE premise of a punishing atonement, wrathful God, and "exclusive club" salvation is BOGUS from the outset. That is usually referred to as using the wrong context for the exegesis. There is no wrath in God, He requires no punishment for anything, His "laws" establish the working of the universe and there are CONSEQUENCES for violating them (like the law of gravity, etc.). Our job is to learn them and avoid the consequences. The "laws" encompass more than consequences of violating the physical laws (like gravity) . . . there are moral laws that have consequences for failure to stay safely within their bounds ("love God and each other"). NONE of those consequences (physical or moral) are PUNISHMENTS . . . just consequences. God's concern is keeping us from failing and suffering the consequences . . . NOT INFLICTING them. Bottom line . . . NONE of the consequences will be eternal!

Sorry brother, but you are wrong. You aren't reading the scripture for what is says, and instead you are imposing your own view into it. I have laid out what the scripture says, therefore, that is what it says. If you don't like it, so be it, but that is what it says.

Your choice.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyb View Post
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. Jn3:16

God loves His creation. He has provided a way for 'whoever believes'. the way is open for anyone who will believe, if they are able to believe.

did Jesus die for the whole world? 2 Cor.5:21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. Jesus became sin and took it to the grave. man is saved on believing on the Lord Jesus Christ. man is lost when he rejects Jesus as the Christ of God.

funny, I was reminising my foster mother, was reformed church, believed Jesus only died for the elect. sorry, I can not go for this. I read the Bible differently from you.
That's alright, but the context defines Kosmos, as I have laid it out.
You can have it both ways, that is how false doctrine is created.
AS we see with Universalism. Another false doctrine.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:10 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
There is no doubt that the world refered to initially was the jewish world , hence the decree that a census be made in all the the world (jewish).

36You know the message God sent to the people of Israel(jewish world), telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. Acts 10

Yet we find in the commission in Matthew 28

19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

We know that at least Peter did not understand or possibly not believe this commission at one point.

34Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right. 36You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all.

37You know what has happened throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached— 38how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

You seem to be shoring up your argument with your interpretation of the lake of fire

Yet i have asked this question on another thread

Well do you not find it quite odd that the same Jesus who said to James and John "you know not what spirit you are off",when they wanted to call fire down from heaven to consume those who rejected the message is the same Jesus casting unbelievers in a lake of fire that burns eternally ? .

So i believe the world was initally the jewish world which became the whole world and once you get out of the 4 gospels is obviously clear.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:14 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Exactly MysticPHD none of them are eternal

Old 02-03-2010, 04:44 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyb View Post

did Jesus die for the whole world? 2 Cor.5:21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. Jesus became sin and took it to the grave. man is saved on believing on the Lord Jesus Christ. man is lost when he rejects Jesus as the Christ of God. .

John 12:48
There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day.

__________________________________________________ ___
Originally Posted by MysticPhD
Your ENTIRE premise of a punishing atonement, wrathful God, and "exclusive club" salvation is BOGUS from the outset. That is usually referred to as using the wrong context for the exegesis. There is no wrath in God,

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

Romans 2:8
But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.

Colossians 3:6
Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.

Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name."

Old 02-03-2010, 04:49 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Exactly MysticPHD none of them are eternal
Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name."

Romans 2:5
But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.

Romans 2:8
But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.