Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 02:18 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
When my oldest, who is almost 18 now, was 1.5 I swatted him on his butt to stop him from squirming while I changed his diaper. I was at the babysitters at the time and she called social services on me. They asked me what had happened and inspected my house and my child. He had bruises on him from the babysitters child biting him, you could see the teeth marks and tell they were not mine or my wifes. They saw no damage to his rear end or any other signs of any abuse. This scared me and for a while I left spanking up to my wife, which hardly ever happened because she usually hurt herself when doing it. My father convinced me that if I did not spank them and then explain why I spanked them they would become out of control when they grew up. I will admit that my kids are not the best behaved in the world but they thank me for spanking them when needed, for grounding them when needed and for explaining to them why I did either or both. They are not afraid of me or angry at me for what I had to do to bring them up the best I could. My soon to be 18 year old is in the National Guard and finishing his senior year of High School, he went to bootcamp between 11th and 12th grade years and will be in AIT after graduation. My 16 year old is very responsible and trustworthy. I have a 13 year old who is in his terrible adolecent times but we are coping and my six year old is spoiled rotten, but they all were at that age. Parenting is a hands on job and if you are not willing to do what is needed, in love, and without causing damage either mentally or physically then you shouldnt have become a parent to begin with.

I know children who are abused and the parents have never layed a hand on them. This abuse is neglect, the parents neglected to punish the child when needed and now the children are spoiled and expect to do whatever they want no matter what.

Spare the rod spoil the child seem right to me and my children are good kids due to my willingness to correct them as needed.
Of course it does. I have seen the opposite at McDonalds, Kmart and "The Nanny"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 02:29 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
99% of discipline is using your mind
1% is using force

You hit = You teach them to hit.

It ain't rocket science.

I can make my child feel lower than snake dung using time out followed with the reason they went to time out.. followed by "I'm disappointed".. followed by "do you understand.. if so say "yes sir".. followed by.. "I love you".

None of the above done in the presence of other people.

Please send $19.95 to my palpal account.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:45 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times
WOW!! To each his/her own. Me, Betsey, I'm a spanking mommy! I spank anywhere! I'll spank in school, in church, in front of the police, in front of a judge, and the president if I ever needed to. My mantra in my home is: Give me a reason, and I'll be there!! All in love, that is.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:48 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
WOW!! To each his/her own. Me, Betsey, I'm a spanking mommy! I spank anywhere! I'll spank in school, in church, in front of the police, in front of a judge, and the president if I ever needed to. My mantra in my home is: Give me a reason, and I'll be there!! All in love, that is.
I'm hip. When those "without direction" are screaming and throwing tantrums out in public, I get the feeling the parents are New Age softies.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:53 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,836,603 times
I have learned pressure points work rather well in public situations.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:57 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times
Ever had your mouth washed out with soap? I usually give my kids a choice: Ivory or Dove? White or pink?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
99% of discipline is using your mind
1% is using force

You hit = You teach them to hit.

It ain't rocket science.

I can make my child feel lower than snake dung using time out followed with the reason they went to time out.. followed by "I'm disappointed".. followed by "do you understand.. if so say "yes sir".. followed by.. "I love you".

None of the above done in the presence of other people.

Please send $19.95 to my palpal account.
Where did you get that, Sigmund Freud?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:10 PM

Ah yes.. If you don't strike your child or put chemicals in their mouth then you must be a softie. Interestingly enough we've been told on numerous occasions (restaurants, grocery stores etc) how wonderfully behaved our 2 year old is. Literally people coming up to us as we are leaving the restaurant to tell us.

I would say it takes more time and patience to have the ability not to strike a child or put chemicals in their mouth but in the end its worth it.

Maybe its just my child.. I doubt it though. My kid is no more special than anybody elses kid.

Quick question..

If hitting the kid.. or putting soap in their mouth works so well.. why do you have to do it over and over again?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Where did you get that, Sigmund Freud?
Common sense and an evolution into the 21st century.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Common sense and an evolution into the 21st century.
How about the Holy Bible? YES! children are just so well behaved these days in modern time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity