Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:41 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

To those with a much broader knowledge of the Bible than I, can you please provide some versus in the Bible that show that Jesus "got angry" sometimes?

We are having a ladies Bible study and discussion group at church, and have gotten on the topic of feeling that, as Christians, women especially, we have to always be calm, nice, selfless, and complacent in our dealings with others.

There is much talk of "surrendering" in the Bible and in sermons, but I don't think that necessarily means we cannot call out evil when we see it, and defend ourselves if necessary.

I know there were times when Jesus got downright angry and called out people for their hypocrisy, greed, and injustices, and I'm looking for verses to back that up.

Thanks for any help with this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 07:03 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,263,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Hi All:

To those with a much broader knowledge of the Bible than I, can you please provide some versus in the Bible that show that Jesus "got angry" sometimes?

We are having a ladies Bible study and discussion group at church, and have gotten on the topic of feeling that, as Christians, women especially, we have to always be calm, nice, selfless, and complacent in our dealings with others.

There is much talk of "surrendering" in the Bible and in sermons, but I don't think that necessarily means we cannot call out evil when we see it, and defend ourselves if necessary.

I know there were times when Jesus got downright angry and called out people for their hypocrisy, greed, and injustices, and I'm looking for verses to back that up.

Thanks for any help with this!
Hello MontanaMom,

Your Bible study sounds like it would be interesting. Wish I could be there.

You, as a christian, have the right to be righteously angry, just as Jesus displayed on occasion. That's not the same as getting angry at your spouse for leaving his dirty socks on the floor, or your neighbor for his incessantly barking dog.

Here is a link. Did Jesus Get Angry? - Beliefnet.com

Addressing the Pharisees
Matthew 23

Healing the Man with the Withered Hand
Mark 3

Rebuking Peter
Mark 3

Predicting the Passion
Mark 8

Cursing the Fig Tree and Cleansing the Temple
Mark 11

Blessing the Children
Mark 10

Curing a Demoniac
Mark 1

Read more: Did Jesus Get Angry? - Beliefnet.com

God Bless,

Katie

Last edited by MissKate12; 05-05-2012 at 07:59 AM..

Old 05-05-2012, 07:10 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Only towards religious folk who said they believed the text and viewed them with a veiled mind. He was not angry at the folk who were in need of a physician. What kind of a physician would be angry at their patients ?. We really have taken leave of our senses.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:01 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,487,769 times
Satan using Peter trying to prevent Jesus' death
Matthew 16:23,Mark 8:33
Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.”
Jesus telling Satan to worship him (since Satan knew that Jesus is God)
Matthew 4:10
Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’ ”
Jesus making a whip, over turning the tables and driving out the money changers, all who bought and sold, all the animals from the temple
Matthew 21:12, Mark 11:15, John 2:15
So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables.
Being that Jesus is God, when OT Isreal refused to repent
Hebrews 3:10
That is why I was angry with that generation, and I said, ‘Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known my ways.’

Hebrews 3:17
And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the desert?
When Jesus judges all the unbelievers
Matthew 25:41
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Romans 2:8
But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:44 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Just a couple of things fro memory here. My bible is out in the car.LOL

It says in the bible that it's OK to be angry but, sin not.

It also says, do not let the sun go down on your anger. I take this to mean that we are not to hold on to our anger and the first one that we are to be controlled in our anger.

I do think that it's very difficult not to sin in our anger. Most anger I have seen comes out of selfishness somewhere along the line or our pride has been wounded or our desires thwarted.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:23 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
There is place for righteous anger. Jesus through the money changers out of the temple proclaiming "the Father's house is a house of prayer". This is different than malice, wishing harm to others, etc.

Jesus is God. Got gets plenty angry at sin and sinners. Just read the Bible.

Do some study and come to your own conclusion who this is talking about.

Isaiah 63

1Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel, travelling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save.

2 Wherefore art thou red in thine apparel, and thy garments like him that treadeth in the winefat?

3 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment.

4 For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come.

5 And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me.

6 And I will tread down the people in mine anger, and make them drunk in my fury, and I will bring down their strength to the earth.

7 I will mention the lovingkindnesses of the Lord, and the praises of the Lord, according to all that the Lord hath bestowed on us, and the great goodness toward the house of Israel, which he hath bestowed on them according to his mercies, and according to the multitude of his lovingkindnesses.

8 For he said, Surely they are my people, children that will not lie: so he was their Saviour.

9 In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.

10 But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them.

11 Then he remembered the days of old, Moses, and his people, saying, Where is he that brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of his flock? where is he that put his holy Spirit within him?

Jesus is also the Avenger of Blood.

Isaiah 26
21 For, behold, the Lord cometh out of his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity: the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain.

Psalm 110:1
The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
There is place for righteous anger. Jesus through the money changers out of the temple proclaiming "the Father's house is a house of prayer". This is different than malice, wishing harm to others, etc.

Jesus is God. Got gets plenty angry at sin and sinners. Just read the Bible.
I suggest reading some psychology first. Anger is a state of mind born of our human psychological weaknesses . . . NOT actions or behaviors. Actions or behaviors can indicate someone's state of mind but it is pure inference. It makes no sense to presume that Jesus had any human weaknesses which are the source of our "sins." Aggressive and defensive actions and behaviors are acceptable . . . as long as we are in the right state of mind and doing them for the right reasons . . . agape love of God and each other.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I suggest reading some psychology first. Anger is a state of mind born of our human psychological weaknesses . . . NOT actions or behaviors. Actions or behaviors can indicate someone's state of mind but it is pure inference. It makes no sense to presume that Jesus had any human weaknesses which are the source of our "sins." Aggressive and defensive actions and behaviors are acceptable . . . as long as we are in the right state of mind and doing them for the right reasons . . . agape love of God and each other.
Psychology is man's attempt to deal with the sin issue. It denies the root of the solution, thus it is a faulty science. It can only deal with the symptoms not the root issue - sin.

Better off sticking with what God said on the issue.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Psychology is man's attempt to deal with the sin issue. It denies the root of the solution, thus it is a faulty science. It can only deal with the symptoms not the root issue - sin.

Better off sticking with what God said on the issue.
The solution is to think differently by a mind that has been quickened . Be Transformed by the renewing of your mind. As a man thinks in his heart so is he.

Jesus clearly taught on the Mt of Olives, the root of the problem was thought.

The reason why fundamentalist talk of nothing but sin,death and hell is because those things are what you are continually thinking about, and if you had any discernment about you, you would know it comes from your own guilty consciences.

You talk the problem up, instead of the answer and the answer is, your thought life should be one that continually thinks like this

*Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Yet you cannot trust God enough and think like this, because who is going to tell the world what sinners they are ?.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The solution is to think differently by a mind that has been quickened . Be Transformed by the renewing of your mind. As a man thinks in his heart so is he.

Jesus clearly taught on the Mt of Olives, the root of the problem was thought.
The reason why fundamentalist talk of nothing but sin,death and hell is because those things are what you are continually thinking about, and if you had any discernment about you, you would know it comes from your own guilty consciences.
You talk the problem up, instead of the answer and the answer is, your thought life should be one that continually thinks like this

*Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Yet you cannot trust God enough and think like this, because who is going to tell the world what sinners they are ?.
You are so right, pcamps. Our consciousness is all important. It is the way we develop and mature our embryo Spirit toward rebirth as Spirit upon our death. Whatever we allow to reside in our thoughts determines what we become. Remember "garbage in garbage out." I love your posts, brother.
Peace in Christ's love,
Mystic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity