Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,212 times

Advertisements

So Alan, what do you think about God 'divorcing' Israel and then Judah?

A marriage is a contract and if the contract is broken, the marriage is broken. Easy? Divorces are NOT easy in any sense of the word. But as I said, some in the church want to put grievous burdens on men. I posted it a long time ago, and I will post it again:

/www.gods-kingdom-ministries.org/COLDFUSION/booklet.cfm?PID=21

This is a well thought-out, inisghtful treatment of this subject with lots of scripture.

Jesus did not come to make t hings more difficult for His people. The perfect scenario is that a marriage could and would last your lifetime. But we are NOT perfect people, yet, and so we do the best we can.

This is not an article to endorse or encourage divorce and possible remarriage, but it does clear up a misunderstanding of what people interpret Jesus's words to say according to how we speak today, not according to what was the norm in Christ's time. For those of you who are driven by rules and regulations, you will not like the article. For those who are more inclined to grace, it will be a pleasant read..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 09:37 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,104,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
The use of the term "divorce" in that context is aimed at showing just how angry God was at the unfaithfulness of the people.

Just as other terms like 'Marriage of the lamb" are an attempt to show the love God has to the very same people.

However I would not want to try to twist my understanding of such a "metaphor' into a reason to act in a manner that goes against clear bible teachings about marriage and divorce.

It's like?>>>>
this-

It's like....Remember the one parable that Jesus told about the workers in the field who labor in the hot sun all day only to then learn that the guys hired to work only one hour received the same pay?

That whole story is a parable about something totally unconnected to real employment in the agricultural field.

So while the story is a good metaphor to learn about heaven and God's offer of salvation to the Gentile, it's not really aimed at being the lone guidance for labor/management contract talks....

(see what I mean?)

What we know for a fact is that the Bible is clear when it teaches that a wife is to remain married to her husband for her whole life.

This is an idea that God loves and supports.
Along with this we know for a fact that if a wife should find herself divorced that she should remain single and allow for the future chance to be reunited with her husband.

These are the very clear teachings of the bible that we have no doubt about them.

Now there are reasons why God has allowed for a divorce to become 'legal' under Jewish law, but the truth is that divorce is never God's idea and is not ever something God wants for us and will support.

Remember the Disciples came to Jesus and seemed to be seeking a way to not to always remain true to the same one wife forever...
But Jesus told them that while for the hardness of human hearts the Jews had a means to get divorced under their legal system, this is not ever God's will for us....

God wants us to stay married.
God wants us to remain true to our wedding vows.

Remember this next part:
I cant force my wife to remain true to her wedding vow
I cant force my wife to remain faithfull to me.
I can only control my own actions...
so, Only I can protect my own wedding vows...

I keep them no matter what... because that is God's will for me.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:18 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
You...

No rather "I" am married not because I have a legal statement,
not because the church told me I was married,
I'm married because I gave my word to another person that I would remain true to them in both my heart and body until I die.

The words that I spoke in my wedding, (my vows), are still there to be read to check if there is anything about a lack of sex being a loop hole to the promise I have been given.

I gave my word that I would forsake all others, and cling only to her....
I never gave my word that "We will get busy every night"...

My vow is lasting until death parts us....
Not just until she is fed up with me or I with her...
My word is all I can give a girl...no other thing counts.

If I felt now that my word (my vow) was meaningless ,then what does that tell you about who I am?....
It says I'm a meaningless person.
A person who has a meaningless word.

But if I stay true to my vow, (even in sickness, even for better and worse), then you can look at me and judge me to be a person how holds his own word (and life) as being of great value.
If one truly forsakes all others, and clings only to their spouse, that will be expressed in sexual union. Or, if one is incapacited, in some other form of sexual expression that bonds them together, as God intended.
Quote:
I'm married because I gave my word to another person that I would remain true to them in both my heart and body until I die.
Exactly; "true in my body" means there is a sexual union between man and wife, and no other. It is exclusive. If a man is unable to perform, there are options, if the true desire to keep his marriage covenant is there.

Lack of any sort of sexual union between man and wife for over a decade, is an outward manifestation of a broken union.

What people do about it, is something they must decide....

Old 08-23-2009, 10:25 AM

actually, I think we should go read the wedding vows,,

I do believe that while I gave my word not to have sex with any other girl, I never drew out a listing of when and where we would be grappling in the dark.

Lets read and find out:

"Will you have this woman to be your wife; to live together in the covenant of marriage ? Will you love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, and, forsaking all others, be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?"
The Man answers:
"I will."

That is my wedding vow to my wife and all that binds me to my marriage...

Seems I did agree to forsake all others, but I never really gave my word as to the number of times, positions, and locations where I would be "In the mood"
Thus while I sure would hope my Christian sister can find the time and place to "get busy" with her husband, i dont really see the lack of a great sex life as any grounds at all, to say the marriage is over...

The marriage is still to last until death...
Not just the death of the love a person might feel to the other person,,,
the 'love" in a marriage is a fleeting thing that can come and go, come back and go again...
The wedding vows are not based on our feelings...rather they are based on our word.

Thus any attempt to justify getting a divorce based on a lack of a sex life is in error,,and stands against what the vows tell us about standing with your mate even if there is a sickness.
Going 10 years between doin it, is a clear sign of a sick marriage, but the wedding vows have already stated that such things are to be expected at times and are part of the marriage....

"keep her, in sickness..."
It's covered, I already gave my word that such things are to be expected and I understand Im not to allow such things to change my word to remain married to her

Last edited by alanMolstad; 08-23-2009 at 10:41 AM..

Old 08-23-2009, 10:28 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i hear you. lots of people doing the modern version of christianity. its not working.
when the jewish people begin to take on pagan customs bad stuff happened.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:57 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
Quote:
Seems I did agree to forsake all others, but I never really gave my word as to the number of times, positions, and locations where I would be "In the mood"
Thus while I sure would hope my Christian sister can find the time and place to "get busy" with her husband, i dont really see the lack of a great sex life as any grounds at all, to say the marriage is over...
I don't, either..............but then, that isn't what we are discussing...........we were discussing the complete lack of sex, living under the same roof, yet not ever having relations.

Quote:
The wedding vows are not based on our feelings...rather they are based on our word.
Exactly, and when one marries a person, you are entering into a sexual covenant, as they are your ONLY outlet from here on out.

Depriving your spouse of relations for over a decade signifies the lack of relationship.

Quote:
the wedding vows have already stated that such things are to be expected at times and are part of the marriage....
Really???? Your wedding vows stated that you are expected to be deprived of sex for over a decade? Puh-leeze. Why would you marry someone if you did not expect to have sex with them? How would you have a family?

Christians who are married are supposed to have sexual relations with their spouse.

Obviously, I am not referring to marriages where one spouse is afflicted with a chronic illness; but even then, if the true desire to be faithful to one's vows is present, the two will find a way to please the other.......

Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Really???? Your wedding vows stated that you are expected to be deprived of sex for over a decade? Puh-leeze.....
Yes...
Yes, The wedding vows took all this into account...
"In sickness and in health" for there are many forms of sickness
You cant predict what sickness a marriage might suffer.

But you can stand before the woman you love and tell her that you give her your word that you will never divorce her.
You can stand before the family of your bride and give your word to them that no matter the problems the future brings, you will not leave.

That is what being married is all about.
You give your life to the other person...from then on it does not matter to you what happens, sick or well, happy or sad, rich or poor, it's all now moot.

you will always remain true until you die.

There is no demand in the Bible that two Christian ever have to get divorced...so don't.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post

A marriage is a contract and if the contract is broken, the marriage is broken. Easy? Divorces are NOT easy in any sense of the word. But as I said, some in the church want to put grievous burdens on men. I posted it a long time ago, and I will post it again:

/www.gods-kingdom-ministries.org/COLDFUSION/booklet.cfm?PID=21

This is a well thought-out, inisghtful treatment of this subject with lots of scripture.

Jesus did not come to make t hings more difficult for His people. The perfect scenario is that a marriage could and would last your lifetime. But we are NOT perfect people, yet, and so we do the best we can.

This is not an article to endorse or encourage divorce and possible remarriage, but it does clear up a misunderstanding of what people interpret Jesus's words to say according to how we speak today, not according to what was the norm in Christ's time. For those of you who are driven by rules and regulations, you will not like the article. For those who are more inclined to grace, it will be a pleasant read..
God's grace and forgiveness is awesome - thank goodness we sinners don't have to depend on the "wisdom" of some other posters here

Old 08-23-2009, 06:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i wont read all 11 pages to see if i posted.
answer of course u r breaking the law coming and going.
should have never married in the 1st place.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i wont read all 11 pages to see if i posted.
answer of course not breaking the law coming and going.
should have never married in the 1st place.
Sadly, many people should never have married in the first place, for their marriages were not to the partners God had chosen for them.

But when you ARE faithful to God's will for your life and are with the person HE has chosen for you, your marriage will be a true covenant that will be blessed with success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity