Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I am confused? Belief based on a personal perspective or belief based on the word of God?
How can the two be seperated? If we conclude; belief = God's word , then all of us "should" come to the same conclusion, clearly we do not.

Faith on the other hand is a subjective quality that tempers belief.

Belief = how you live = walking in the spirit

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 04-23-2009 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: added comment PS we're off topic from the OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 08:28 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
How can the two be seperated? If we conclude; belief = God's word , then all of us "should" come to the same conclusion, clearly we do not.

Faith on the other hand is a subjective quality that tempers belief.

Belief = how you live = walking in the spirit
I believe you can. God gives us the gift of faith and without it we can not believe. Personal belief is based on what?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I believe you can. God gives us the gift of faith and without it we can not believe. Personal belief is based on what?
If you believe we can all come to the same conclusion... can you give an example?

Personal belief (Christian belief) is submission to the Holy Spirit. Every way seems right to a man, so as we mature (spiritually) we begin to redefine our belief in line with God's. To often we confuse knowledge with belief. How we live is a product of our belief, or lack thereof.

Who has perfect "belief"? other than God? so are we to be condemned by our imperfect belief? of course not... it take submission = being FAT = faithful , available, teachable.

Pro 21:2
All of a person’s ways seem right in his own opinion, but the Lord evaluates the motives.
Pro 14:12
There is a way that seems right to a person, but its end is the way that leads to death.
Pro 12:15
The way of a fool is right in his own opinion, but the one who listens to advice is wise.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:56 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
If you believe we can all come to the same conclusion... can you give an example?

Personal belief (Christian belief) is submission to the Holy Spirit. Every way seems right to a man, so as we mature (spiritually) we begin to redefine our belief in line with God's. To often we confuse knowledge with belief. How we live is a product of our belief, or lack thereof.

How has perfect "belief"? other than God? so are we to be condemned by our imperfect belief? of course not... it take submission = being FAT = faithful , available, teachable.

Pro 21:2
All of a person’s ways seem right in his own opinion, but the Lord evaluates the motives.
Pro 14:12
There is a way that seems right to a person, but its end is the way that leads to death.
Pro 12:15
The way of a fool is right in his own opinion, but the one who listens to advice is wise.
I am talking about the personal belief that I believe in the flying spaghetti monster. Personal belief is relative to me

Old 04-23-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I am talking about the personal belief that I believe in the flying spaghetti monster. Personal belief is relative to me
Non believers ( and a lot of Christian's) use "presumption" rather than faith.
Presumption functions by boundries confined by knowledge, and faith moves us past what can not truely understand beyond the confines of our intellect.

Mar 10:15
I tell you the truth, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child* will never enter it.”

Quote:
*The point of the comparison receive the kingdom of God like a child has more to do with a child’s trusting spirit and willingness to be dependent and receive from others than any inherent humility the child might possess.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:21 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
I hear what your saying antredd..and im not here to debate anything, it comes down to God will use whom ever He feels He needs to to get out what He wants us to hear/know ect. God opens the doors, God leads us down those paths, if it wasnt meant to happen, then God wouldnt allow it to happen. And vice versa.
Blessings.
I appreciate you for your comments. Thanks and many blessings to you as well.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
Default Fruits vs. Calling

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Verifying a person for the ministry based on the fruit of their ministry is a false method. Just because you get converts doesn’t mean anything nor does the lack of converts mean anything. Noah preached for 120 years with no conversions. How many cults could we sit here and name that did have success or continue to have success even though they are clearly not Biblical in teaching or doctrine? Remember Jim Jones, David Koresh, Mormons, or Jehovah’s Witnesses. [/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 05-12-2009, 01:13 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I know this topic has come up before, but I was just wondering why do women who become Pastors or Elders of church think that they are Scripturally following the bible?

After I carefully studied this topic, my conclusion on this issue is that the Bible does not PERMIT women to function in the role of pastor or elder within the church. Also, this has been the same position of a vast majority of churches around the world and throughout history. Now, have these churches been discriminatory by denying women to be church pastors or elders? Let's look at what Scripture says about this topic.

1Timothy 2:11-14 addresses this question most directly. 1Timothy 2:11-14: Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the wman was deceived and became a transgressor.

Here we see Paul speaking about the church. It seems that Paul is addressing what type of church order should be carried out; and these functions are unique to pastors or elders that Paul prohibits for women in the church.

1Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9 assume that elders are going to be men. An elder (or bishop/overseer) must be the husband of one wife ( 1Tim.3:2; also Titus 1:6), and must manage his own household well, keeping his children submissive and respectful in every way (1Tim. 3:4)

Some women who object to Paul authorizing church elders or pastors for men only are ABSOLUTELY going against the Word of God.
I do not take what was written by Paul to be "the word of God."

added note: I am a minister.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitosmommy View Post

Especially since Paul commissioned Phoebe as the Deacon of the Roman Christian community after leading a similar group at Cenchrae (sp?). Given how in Timothy, there were only two defined church offices, bishop and deacon, it is safe to assume that Paul didn't have a problem with a woman leading a flock.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:10 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitosmommy View Post

Wow, your statement just proves why Chrisitanity is really looked down upon. We can't pick and choose what we want to believe from Scripture, and think we can set up a whole doctrine around it to fit our life styles because it somehow justifies why we are doing what we are doing IN GOD'S NAME. There is a Scripture that says God will not be mocked. Do you believe that, or believe it to mean something else, since Paul wrote that verse as well. Have you heard of hermaneutics?

Proper interpretation of Scripture even if that interpretation goes against what we have been taught because of ( wrong interpetation, religion's wrong teaching, or just the Holy Spirit not enlightening us to the truth yet) doesn't make it acceptable to God. I just can't believe that you don't think what is written by Paul is to be the word of God, even though we as Christians HAVE TO ACCEPT what ever is included in the canon as God spreaking through men 40 authors, from very different backgrounds, WRITING UNDER THE INSPIRATION OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. I thought this thread was over, I see it isn not. Whew.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity