Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:37 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,993,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
I too have an 'old' KJV that I was given when I was confirmed and it's all 'marked up' too, and very 'special' to me. However right now I study with the Companion Bible.

My Companion Bible is a 1611 KJV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 04:33 PM

23,024 posts, read 34,413,899 times
I like the New Living Translation and New American Standard. My husband has a Bible that the pages are literally falling out of. I hope I can say that about mine someday.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:20 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,810,135 times
I love my thompson chain NASB bible, it looks like a rainbow of all the scriptures I underlined in different color highlights, throughout the years

Old 02-09-2009, 07:25 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,355,083 times
Now I remember why I haven't bought another version yet. It's so overwhelming!

I should probably look into having someone repair my bible, but I really do want another version that is easier to read. I read to my 6 yr old from a children's bible (stories), but would eventually like to read to him straight from a regular bible. I remember when I read to my older children (now 22 and 18) from the KJV, it was as if their eyes just glazed over...lol.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
I once had a Thompson Chain Reference, I used it and very nearly wore it out. I do recall that many of the 'references' made no sense to me though.

I changed to a Companion Bible by Bullinger, the text is all KJV. I like it much better.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:11 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,170,245 times
What is a companion Bible?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:33 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,170,245 times
I looked up the companion Bible. It says it has notes by E.W. Bullinger. I don't even know who he is. So...I have something to look into today. Just wanted you all to know I looked up my own question. lol

Old 02-10-2009, 09:01 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Bullinger lived in the 1800s. A pastor, who studied the Hebrew and tried to work up definitions of words from their Bible usage, rather than from their cultural usage. Many times he included these definitions in his notes. Also When something is repeated from an earlier book or passage, quoting an earlier passage, his note will lead you back to that original passage being quoted. Bullinger also did a lot of work on grammar, diagramming sentence structure. While in the sing-song sounds of the Hebrew language much of the sentence structure is obvious [most of the OT is a kind of poetry] we lose that in the English. So he diagrammed it.

Also a field of study that was big during the Roman Empire was that of 'Figures of Speech'. As the Romans conquered each culture, they had scholars who studied each culture's language and metaphor. Well that study of the Hebrew 'figures' had not received much attention in Bullinger's time [nor in this time either].

So as he came across each of these figures of speech, he tried to document each of them.

A separate book titled: "The Figures of speech of the Bible" exists. Many of them are footnoted in his column notes.

Some Hebrew words were used when naming stars, then later when the same word gets used again in a passage the translators usually fail to note that a star's name is being used. So Bullinger noted it.

There is all sorts of things that he noted.

He is known today for being one of many theologians among the 'Dispensationalist group.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:25 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,654,967 times
I have my dad's King James that he got in Sunday School in 1929, that's my favorite and as a new believer years ago I memorized verses in the King James. I do enjoy NAS and I have a four version Bible which really helps to get the full meaning of a verse.
I just know that God's word never returns void...

Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,841,574 times
My favorite is my NASB I got originally for my wife and she used if for about 6months and gave it to me when she found something that matched her purse LOL, just joking, she gave it to me after she spilled coffee on it and then left in my leeky truck by mistake. I really like all the study Bibles I have and my Concordance, but my favorite is still the mutalated NASB, I just cannot put it down when I start reading it. I will look for a particular verse or phrase and I sometimes feel God guiding me to something else and sometimes I hear Him specify what He wants me to read and when I open the book to a particular sometimes I hear a particular word that just happens to be what He wants me to study. This happened about two weeks ago I was looking for the fruit of the spirit and the Lord told me to read His definition of Love. I opened the Bible to the specific page right off the bat without having to look for it and started reading the whole chapter. About 5 minutes after I finished reading the chapter my second oldest son came to me and asked "What is Love" and I had a big smile on my face and praised the Lord before I shared what He had shown me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity