Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:49 PM

29 posts, read 56,548 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I thought I would toss this question out to you all... A friend of mine is wondering if God is Sovereign, in control of everything, why do we need to pray? Does prayer really make a difference? Does it change anything?

She and I have chatted about this issue, but I thought some fresh perspective would help me follow up on our conversation.

Thanks!

Biblegal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 07:50 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
I'd love to know this answer too as I agree with your friend. That being said, I have seen the power of prayer when it comes to a large number of people praying for someone with a possible terminal illness. I don't know. Maybe God changes his mind.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
He wants us to talk to Him, He wants a relationship with us, God reveals things to me when I talk to Him and He also comforts me when I talk to Him. You can't have a relationship without communication. Also my circumstances may not change, but I change when I talk to Him.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:55 PM

29 posts, read 56,548 times
I totally agree. I change too when I talk with God! He reveals things to me as well...

Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I pray (talk) to God because He is a very personal friend of mine..He hears my problems, my joys, my pleas, my questions..He is a friend that I can trust to do what's best for me even if I protest a little or fail to see that my questions were answered..I talk to him often during the day, because he never leaves me..At the end of a long day sometimes I fall asleep while talking to Him and He gives me wonderful peaceful rest on those nights..

Old 02-23-2009, 08:02 PM

305 posts, read 1,234,108 times
prayer...changes you!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:02 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
He's liken unto a Father or parent (Mother)
He wants to see if you
Love Him
Worship Him
Trust Him
Obey Him
Honor Him
again Have faith in Him
He also has a permissive will, don't ask me for scripture right now, but it's there in so many instances. One comes to mind when I think of King Saul, the other King David
the other Job, and a hosts of others, they prayed and had faith that God would keep His promises,
some of these tough questions you're just going to have to ask the Creator, pray with your whole heart, he will answer you..

Old 02-23-2009, 08:03 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,860 times
Yes it changes things, but mostly for me, it has developed a close intimate relationship, The hardest thing to learn was when God said no and did not heal and the person died. I had to learn that he is still sovereign. For having to know everything, is not trusting. In the end I had to ask do I still trust, Do I still have faith, for he does see the greater pic than we see. And he does know what is best. I have seen incredible miracles, I have seen people healed, I have seen changes in people that would seem impossible. He is the God of impossibilities. It is I that is limited, He has answered prayers when I just barely breathed them in passing thoughts, which amazed me, and he has not answered prayers when I poured my spirit out before him, fervently. The comfort I get is being obedient and praying as I ought too, knowing he will answer as he chooses.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
There is no way that god is in control of EVERYTHING. That is just silly. Take my spouse's blood pressure problem...had it since he was a teen...I prayed and prayed and prayed for years on end for a healing....no healing....so god is behind the fact that my husband has hypertension? He's actually MAKING him have the hbp??? That is absurd!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
Just because God hasn't given you the answers YOU want doesn't mean he hasn't answered your prayers. Sometimes His answer is no or not yet.

Why not pray? It keeps us out of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity