Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times

Advertisements

I got a lot of flak for being hard on Ted Haggard, so my question is please explain this verse when Paul himself said, he would be disqualified if he could not control his own body. Please someone explain this verse. I am not debating or arguing. Just want to hear your interpretation and how it would apply to a wayward minister not being disqualified from ministry?

(1 Corinthians 9:27)
" 27but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.
"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 02:33 PM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I got a lot of flak for being hard on Ted Haggard, so my question is please explain this verse when Paul himself said, he would be disqualified if he could not control his own body. Please someone explain this verse. I am not debating or arguing. Just want to hear your interpretation and how it would apply to a wayward minister not being disqualified from ministry?

(1 Corinthians 9:27)
" 27but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.
"
NET Instead I subdue my body and make it my slave, so that after preaching to others I myself will not be disqualified.

NIV No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

NASB but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

NLT I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

MSG I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.

BBE But I give blows to my body, and keep it under control, for fear that, after having given the good news to others, I myself might not have God’s approval.

NRSV but I punish my body and enslave it, so that after proclaiming to others I myself should not be disqualified.

NKJV But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

Here are the many interpretations... do any disqualify? and perhaps they help with different views?
Lets leave ole Jimmy out of the discussion... but I understand your point.

Ball in your court

Old 03-04-2009, 02:35 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,514 times
i think the best inference could be short and sweet. thus, "practice what I preach"

Old 03-04-2009, 02:41 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
NET Instead I subdue my body and make it my slave, so that after preaching to others I myself will not be disqualified.

NIV No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.........

Ball in your court
Dave I don't mind people being upset with me or even disagreeing with me just as long as it is scriptural because only then can I feel TRULY rebuked or convicted. Was I wrong in being harsh on any Pastor who lives in a lifestyle of sin? The bible is clear that they are to be held to a different standard. My father was a Pastor and I would expect the same from him.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
i think the best inference could be short and sweet. thus, "practice what I preach"

True... with an asterisk*
No one would qualify to preach if ''perfect" = practice what you preach. I don't think that was the idea you are expressing, we all need some ''wiggle room".

We all miss the mark, and some of the best preachers are actually a "repentive product" of their sin.
Chuck Colson (sp?) = prison ministry, former prisoner
C.S. Lewis = former atheist, and great apologist

Pious Pastors, Priests, Nuns and the like, do not make good councilors regarding drug addictions, divorce care, or other sins they have never felt the sting Of ... but of course IMO. The Apostle Paul was a murderer , not by his hand, but he allowed many Christians to be killed, God used him very effectively I'd say. There are many other examples...as well.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Dave I don't mind people being upset with me or even disagreeing with me just as long as it is scriptural because only then can I feel TRULY rebuked or convicted. Was I wrong in being harsh on any Pastor who lives in a lifestyle of sin? The bible is clear that they are to be held to a different standard. My father was a Pastor and I would expect the same from him.
If you said to me "scriptural based" I would assume there are principles that in certain circumstances would have higher authority (scriptural hierarchy). However ... for me... when we say "scripture" we could beat each other up all day with verses. That's why precepts and principles are so important when dealing with the Bible.

Your right about Pastor being held to a higher standard... but the standard can not be perfection, and he must be allowed to repent.. Should he be allowed to preach again? I don't know... but his accountability partner might. Maybe his new audience should be to 'wayward pastors"? If anyone claims that "periodically" they do not have a spiritual battle in their life... they're either dead and in heaven or they sitting in front of the TV and the remote won't work (couch coma) .... or they're lying. I go with concept #3.

your a smart guy... I've read your posts... you have wit and a knack for "stinging the opposition" but you also have convictions that run deep. We should never gauge anyone through our strengths, but rather through our weakness... kinda make for a different view of things.... don't ya think?

Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times
Ted Haggard disqualified himself in more ways than one, but I believe he should be able to repent and possibly return to a lower level of ministry but not lead a ministry. You share your witness yet continue to sin in the manner you condemn then you disqualify your own witness.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 9,874 times
Default Ted Haggard

[FONT=Verdana]I think that in dealing with a subject so widely controversial. It is important to look at true figures and pioneers of our faith, like the Apostle Paul. I have heard the argument that he was a murder of Christians. True. He also came into his relationship with Christ post this situation. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Ted Haggard can be forgiven and for all we know he is, but just like the sins he committed were private, the true forgiveness, or not, is between him and the almighty God himself. Ted Haggard was teaching the Gospel on one hand and driving himself many miles to see his to his affair. He had to know what he was sinning against his savior and doing time and time again. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]God allowed his exposure and Jesus taught us Love. Love Ted Haggard, pray for him and his family, but we should not condone his new ministry as a Lead Pastor he has been disqualified. The standards to preach the gospel have to higher. He should go before the counsel of his past elders who removed him from the church and get their approval. I think he could make a good counselor to struggling homosexuals or drug addicts, but only if he’s healed from the temptations of those sins, and his wife is present at all times. [/FONT]

Old 03-26-2011, 01:38 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
It is about self-discipline, humility doing the best you can by starting off with a focus of what you want to complete such as Paul who wanted to spread the Gospel despite people looking down on him (such as the Corinthians). It is up to one to complete the race ,the journey for the Glory of God no matter what roadblocks one has to endure, it is important one finishes the race.

It is always good to go back several verses before or ahead to make sense of the single verse you were trying to interpret. In this case it was verse 24 (I Corinthians 9:24)

Old 03-26-2011, 11:43 PM

3 posts, read 9,874 times
[FONT=Verdana]
[FONT=Verdana]I made a mistake in saying that Paul committed those acts post Christ in his life. I meant previous to his accepting Christ. Paul started off with the focus of spreading the gosspel and completed the race without losing credibility. I am not quoting scripture, but thanks for another chapter to read tonight. It comes from the heart.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity