Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:50 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
There were times Jesus prayed aloud.
I can't recall one, off hand. Now, there were occasions that he "Blessed" something, like the loaves and fish. He often "spoke" when he commanded the waves to be still or when he commanded Lazarus to come forth.........but the only prayers I recall is when he was alone.....such as in the Garden of Gethsemane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:54 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,168,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I can't recall one, off hand. Now, there were occasions that he "Blessed" something, like the loaves and fish. He often "spoke" when he commanded the waves to be still or when he commanded Lazarus to come forth.........but the only prayers I recall is when he was alone.....such as in the Garden of Gethsemane.
He prayed aloud once so others would believe Him. Hmm...don't bash me upside the head, but I couldn't give you chapter and verse. lol

I don't pray out loud. When it's mealtime, I tell my kids to remember to thank the Lord for providing.

Good conversation...thanks for working through this with me, Goodpasture...I'm sure I will learn something from this...no doubt.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:03 AM

When I preached, I often used the "lords prayer" as an example of what NOT to do..........

Quote:
Matthew 9 "This, then, is how you should pray:
Notice, it is how you SHOULD pray, not "What you should Pray" yet church after church after church recites this "prayer" on a weekly basis.

This prayer is like a recipe. Just like a recipe that tells you how to make something. The recipe is NOT the something you want to make, just the instructions on how to make it. "Praying" the "Lords Prayer" is the " babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words." Can you imagine going to someones house for dinner and when you get there and you are seated at the table, they hand you a recipe and tell you to enjoy it? Yet church after church offers God the same recipe Sunday after Sunday as though it is palatable.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:17 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
I can relate a personal experience concerning this.

After God rescued me from absolute darkness and misery and depression I fasted a lot just to keep the flesh weak and feel closer to God. When finally asked to sing at a church meeting I was terrified as I was beaten down my whole life and had absolutely no desire to get up in front of a bunch of people.

When I sang though it was like God just permeated the atmosphere and everyone was aware of it. I was baffled and a little embarrassed but I went on into over thirty years of singing in various Christian gatherings.

After taking that on as my identity and security and self-worth though - the anointing wasn't nearly as strong as in the early days. Yet - I would hear 2nd hand reports from friends talking to those who were around in the early days "When he opens his mouth the presence of God fills the room".

My current friends however were aware that it wasn't the case anymore as I had more than my share of worship services that had 'bombed'

That's when I realized that in my early innocence and closet fasting (and insecurity) God had indeed 'rewarded me openly'. As I grew more 'professional' in my approach - I HAD my reward (technically correct but 'dead' worship services)

Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I can relate a personal experience concerning this.

After God rescued me from absolute darkness and misery and depression I fasted a lot just to keep the flesh weak and feel closer to God. When finally asked to sing at a church meeting I was terrified as I was beaten down my whole life and had absolutely no desire to get up in front of a bunch of people.

When I sang though it was like God just permeated the atmosphere and everyone was aware of it. I was baffled and a little embarrassed but I went on into over thirty years of singing in various Christian gatherings.

After taking that on as my identity and security and self-worth though - the anointing wasn't nearly as strong as in the early days. Yet - I would hear 2nd hand reports from friends talking to those who were around in the early days "When he opens his mouth the presence of God fills the room".

My current friends however were aware that it wasn't the case anymore as I had more than my share of worship services that had 'bombed'

That's when I realized that in my early innocence and closet fasting (and insecurity) God had indeed 'rewarded me openly'. As I grew more 'professional' in my approach - I HAD my reward (technically correct but 'dead' worship services)
Wado..........Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity