Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
ARE CHRISTIANS DRIVING CHURCH NUMBERS DOWN?

By Paul Proctor
April 4, 2009
NewsWithViews.com

The reports are everywhere now about the declining numbers of church members and baptisms – especially among Southern Baptists; so much so that church leaders address it at almost every opportunity as if attempting to somehow spark a zeal in remaining members like a coach might do in the locker room of a losing team at halftime.

Everyone is trying to figure out what’s wrong.

This might come as a shock to many, but I would suggest that the answer here might just be nothing is wrong – that those declining numbers that are troubling the pulpits of American churches right now may well be God’s will being carried out by His own being called out of a growing apostasy flourishing within them.
Entire article here: Paul Proctor -- Are Christians Driving Church Numbers Down? (http://www.newswithviews.com/PaulProctor/proctor178.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 09:32 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
The problem is the touchy feely feel good churches with their false gospels tickling the ears of those who want a simblance of righteousness without having to give up their sin.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:53 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Catholic Surge In Baltimore - Baltimore News, Weather, Breaking News | WMAR-TV

looks like the idol worshipping, babylonian traditionalists are growing

Old 04-08-2009, 11:53 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Catholic Surge In Baltimore - Baltimore News, Weather, Breaking News | WMAR-TV

looks like the idol worshipping, babylonian traditionalists are growing
Looks like it.

So the apostasy is really getting smaller.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:51 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I think that as more sects of Christianity push their radical fundamentalism on the country, logically, their numbers will go down, unless we see a huge decline in education in the coming years. In my city, progressive, mainline churchs (mine included) are gaining members. Maybe people prefer a positive message and preaching love rather than end-of-the-world, fear, and divisive messages.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:29 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think that as more sects of Christianity push their radical fundamentalism on the country, logically, their numbers will go down, unless we see a huge decline in education in the coming years. In my city, progressive, mainline churchs (mine included) are gaining members. Maybe people prefer a positive message and preaching love rather than end-of-the-world, fear, and divisive messages.
That is exactly what they prefer because it is ear-tickling. The cross and Gospel is divisive as Jesus preached it, and this scares them. It is to their own detriment. Church is not about making you feel good and all the touchy feely stuff...it's about preaching the Gospel message and learning how to be disciples of Christ.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:53 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Quote:
progressive
Quote:
, mainline churchs (mine included) are gaining members. Maybe people prefer a positive message and preaching love
Interesting;

Progressive actually means liberal.
Mainline actually means non Biblical.
Possitive Message actually means a new gospel.
Love actually mean hate.

When you go to a doctor would you prefer the doctor just tells you everything is fine without even examining you or would you prefer the doctor examine you and if anything is wrong tell you and if possible offer a cure?

Old 04-08-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
That is exactly what they prefer because it is ear-tickling. The cross and Gospel is divisive as Jesus preached it, and this scares them. It is to their own detriment. Church is not about making you feel good and all the touchy feely stuff...it's about preaching the Gospel message and learning how to be disciples of Christ.
We'll have to disagree on that then. I don't believe in fire, brimstone, fundamentalism, hate, divisiveness - if that's your thing and it makes you feel like you know it all and will be one of very few in heaven, then more power to you.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
[b]

Interesting;

Progressive actually means liberal.
Mainline actually means non Biblical.
Possitive Message actually means a new gospel.
Love actually mean hate.

When you go to a doctor would you prefer the doctor just tells you everything is fine without even examining you or would you prefer the doctor examine you and if anything is wrong tell you and if possible offer a cure?
I don't believe in your "cure". I wouldn't go to a witch doctor to cure me, or a faith healer. You think you're medicine is going to heal me. I think you're a snakeoil salesman/quack.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:04 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
If I get sent to hell for living a life rooted in love capable of elevating me above any desire to "sin", I certainly don't want anything to do with a heaven that would condemn that.

Has nothing to do with touchy-feely or feeling good. It's simply what works best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity