Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:00 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times

Advertisements

I wanted to give this topic it's own thread since I am hearing this apostate concept more and more. The christ-consciousness is not the Holy Spirit. Please see below:

The Great Heretical Idea: Oprah and Eckhart Do the New Age Shift

Quote:
Oprah can call her New Age teachings whatever she wants, but she and her ever-growing band of New Age colleagues are still teaching that"we are all one" because we are all"God" and"Christ." As Marianne Williamson writes,"We are all one, we are love itself. 'Accepting the Christ' is merely a shift in self-perception."[6]

The"shift" Williamson, Oprah and Tolle describe is"awakening" to the"Christ within" and the"God within.""Shift" is the key word. It means to move from one position to another – as in shifting one's awareness away from the mind and"ego" to the collective "Christ consciousness" or"Christ within." And, as in shifting your belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior to a New Age belief in the"Christ within." With her New Age classrooms on satellite radio, and now on the Internet, Oprah apparently feels an urgency to teach everyone how to"awaken" and make this"shift" to the"Christ" within. With her Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) kicking in next year we can expect to see her New Age views showcased on an even grander scale.
Coming from the Lighthouse Newsletter - April 7, 2008

Quote:
The power of small groups is in their ability to develop the discipline to get people "in-phase" with the Christ consciousness and connected with one another.
What Sweet means by "Christ consciousness" can be determined through his book, Quantum Spirituality. For instance, in the Acknowledgements pages Sweet thanks the "New Light leaders" whom he has followed in his spiritual journey. He names interspiritualists/universalists such as Matthew Fox (author of The Coming of the Cosmic Christ), Episcopalian priest/mystic Morton Kelsey, Willis Harman (author of Global Mind Change) and Ken Wilber (one of the major intellectuals in the New Age movement). In the Preface of Sweet's book (p. 3), he (referring to other New Agers such as Gary Zukav) says: "Unfortunately, little of this literature is known or celebrated in the religious community." Zukav's book, The Seat of the Soul, teaches people how to get in touch with their spirit guides.
From the Lighthouse - the blog of Lighthouse Trails Research (http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/blog/index.php?p=1016&more=1&c=1 - broken link)

Quote:
You will recall that one of the terms that New Agers regularly use for the higher self is the Christ consciousness. To them, Christ is not a person, but a state-of-being. Excerpts from the following New Age sources explain it this way:
Jesus Christ educated His followers to discern the real man. He taught that there is a power in man that gives him authority over the things of the world. This principle is the higher self, the spiritual man, the Christ.1

The Christ Consciousness or Christ Principle represents the idea of a Saviour, but not, as taught in orthodox religions, a physical, material person. Jesus became the Saviour as He rose to the heights of His inner powers and became a True Son of God.... In other words, when Jesus, the man, was ready, the Christ Principle or Consciousness took over and predominated.2
Leonard Sweet: Quantum Spirituality and a Christ Consciousness

Quote:
"The first of these five untheorized observations is that New Light embodiment means to be "in connection" and 'in-formation' with other Christians. Deeper feeling and higher relating go together. The church is fundamentally one being, one person, a comm-union whose cells are connected to one another within the information network called the Christ consciousness." —Quantum Spirituality, P. 122

New Lights offer up themselves as the cosmions of a mind-of-Christ consciousness. As a cosmion incarnating the cells of a new body, New Lights will function as transitional vessels through which transforming energy can renew the divine image in the world, moving postmoderns from one state of embodiment to another. P. 48

A surprisingly central feature of all the world's religions is the language of light in communicating the divine and symbolizing the union of the human with the divine: Muhammed's light-filled cave, Moses' burning bush, Paul's blinding light, Fox's "inner light," Krishna's Lord of Light, Bohme's light-filled cobbler shop, Plotinus' fire experiences, Bodhisattvas with the flow of Kundalini's fire erupting from their fontanelles, and so on." P. 235
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 06:25 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
If you posted like this about Jewish people, you would be labeled an anti-semite.

If you posted like this about black culture, you would be labeled a racist.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
If you posted like this about Jewish people, you would be labeled an anti-semite.

If you posted like this about black culture, you would be labeled a racist.
Give me a break, Bluefly. I can't help if this is the way you want to believe and for all intents and purposes, go for it. But when you or anyone else seeks to contaminate Christianity with it, and call it Christian, that's when I have a problem with it. The issue you at hand is just that--its New Age mysticism disguised as Christian "enlightenment." Therefore, it is apostasy. Call it whatever you want--higher state, higher level, awakening, enlightenment, whatever, but leave Christ out of it and you will not hear from me.

This stuff has nothing to do with Jesus, nothing at all. All I am doing here is making people aware that when they here these terms in their churches or anywhere else, it is not Scriptural. If the Dalai Lama brought his nonsense to Christianity, I would be saying the same thing.

I know you are going to attempt to have this thread locked down eventually, so shame on you for even trying. It's the same thing that happened in the CSM thread. If you don't want to participate, don't.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:57 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:
The christ-consciousness cannot be found in Scripture
Jhn 14:20
"In that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.

Jhn 14:23
Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.

Jhn 17:23
I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.

Now these are quotes from our Lord and King. When someone makes their abode within a person, what some may call a possesion, can be called the Christ-Consciousness, or a indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Either way, it is being at one, with the ONE.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 04-09-2009 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: removed an orphaned quote(left one for context)

Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Jhn 14:20
"In that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.

Jhn 14:23
Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.

Jhn 17:23
I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.

Now these are quotes from our Lord and King. When someone makes their abode within a person, what some may call a possesion, can be called the Christ-Consciousness, or a indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Either way, it is being at one, with the ONE.
Please read the links, HotinAZ.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
You are right, that is entirely up to Christ, but when the teachers of such a system reject Christ or the truth of Christ then they must be brought to light.
Yea but joining a term such as christ-consciousness to what others has said, is no different than that of the many, MANY sects of Christianity, right? What some see as a indweilling of the Holy Spirit, others may call it for what it is. For a person to have a christ-consciousness, a person would have to have the annointing of the Christ. So how does one tell who doe, and who doesn't. Would that not be for the Father to judge?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Please read the links, HotinAZ.
No need to, I have the WORD of GOD. Read the post I replied to Robin.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:05 PM

Thank you HotinAZ. That's my only point. There are many ways to skin a donkey.

Moderator cut: off-topic

Last edited by Alpha8207; 04-09-2009 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
You are right, that is entirely up to Christ, but when the teachers of such a system reject Christ or the truth of Christ then they must be brought to light.
And, if I reach the pearly gates and Christ says "Why didn't you worship me your entire life?" I will tell him that I spent my time trying find ways of aleviating poverty and war and abortion and misery and my own shortcomings because of what you demonstrated.

If Christ deems me unworthy of entry into the after life because of that, then why would I want to get into his club?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
No need to, I have the WORD of GOD. Read the post I replied to Robin.
But you are simply applying the term christ-consciousness to the Holy Spirit, and that is not what I am referring to. If you read those links, then you will have a better understanding of what I talking about. It is not what you are thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity