Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:03 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,357,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
See above.
HK
Methinks she doth protest to much....
If you'd rather not answer the questions just say so. Plead the fifth, Harold. You're good at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:08 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,171,435 times
Gotta post.
SW
Methinks someone thinks too highly of themselves. Humble and gentle...that is Jesus.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Gotta post.
SW
Methinks someone thinks too highly of themselves. Humble and gentle...that is Jesus.
Amen StirringWaters. I hate when I can't rep you!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 PM

63,957 posts, read 40,245,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
We're talking about the homeless/beggars right now Harold. Why won't you answer the question? You came in here criticizing what people said they do for the homeless. What do you do for them? How do you know which ones are your brothers in Christ? Do you talk to each one of them to find out before you help them, or do you just ignore all beggars because they obviously couldn't be your brother in Christ if they're out there begging?
The Kupps present the least representative "spirit" of Jesus's teachings and life . . . and I see very little "love God and each other" in their "states of mind." Just my observations.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Kupps present the least representative "spirit" of Jesus's teachings and life . . . and I see very little "love God and each other" in their "states of mind." Just my observations.
It just really bothers me greatly to see such little love in them. I often times have even wondered if they're really not Christians at all, but love just coming on here and causing a stir.

The way the represent themselves and refuse to answer questions only makes me want to back off from them, not listen to what they have to say. It's very sad.

*To everyone else who has posted saying what they do for these people, I want to personally thank you for showing your love, and always remember no matter how little it is, even if it's just a smile their way, it's great in God's eyes.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,718,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
You guys are gems. I have to say thanks to every poster here.

This forum inspires me. Many of the people here are far wiser, more sane and importantly, better Christians than the certified evangelists and the mechanical priests (disclaimer: I know gems in priests too ). You folks involuntarily solidify the faith of countless readers as I.

I check out the atheists forum too. Some of it offends me. Then I come here and it's like ferociously guzzling down a bottle of water after compulsory evening games in middle school, when the feeling that constant water intake will jam the respiratory tract does not even bother you sparing the water bottle

The responses are encouraging and most welcome. You guys don't let me down, as usual. Harold can be a nutter at times, but I hope he means no disapproval.

The "the needy might be impostors" argument has been presented to me every time since young (and the argument has been bizarrely common, given that I have been in many countries seeing differing levels of human suffering). But, if 9 out of the 10 successive cases happen to be impostors, and the strike rate is just 1/10, that 1/10 consummates the human virtue of generosity IMHO. More, that 1/10 probability quantifies Christ's commandment of love.

Jess5 had it completely right. The hollow feeling of performing a misjudgement on this 1/10 far outweighs the contentment in rightfully snubbing an impostor.

And 90% of the people witnessing the crucifixion thought Christ was an impostor too. He thirsted for water the most. In hindsight, how many of us will spring at the rate of 100 mph with mugs of water? We simply don't have the luxury of this hindsight in everyday life.

Here's what allegorically comes to my mind each time I see skeptics and critics who diligently argue on validity, reality and authenticity.

In Oscar Wilde's, "the happy prince", the professor comes out and enjoys the nice day. He sees the shabby swallow perched on the shoulder of the prince. "What a rare spectacle", he cheers, "this is definitely a new recording in the field of ornithology, a swallow in this time, in winter". And he recedes pompously with the brilliant prospect of presenting this in his university amongst his distinguished peers and students and to the newspaper.

But the two characters here are in ethereally different spheres and levels of conceptual realms - the noble and accidentally virtuous swallow, the subjective and systematically factual professor.

"The Happy Prince" has been at the root of my inspiration along with my catholic upbringing when both my parents are the biggest philanthropists I have ever seen.

When I read this tale in English school long back, it changed my life. I was 11 and it brought tears to my eyes. Nothing has ever defined charity and the virtue of the sense of human care better, to me, after the Bible. The only other thing which ever made me cry in school was Michael Henchard's dying will in Hardy's "Mayor of Casterbridge".

So, back to Harold's constructive criticism, we can never be the happy prince while we are alive, we can at best strive to be the noble swallow. That is enough in the eyes of God, like in the ending of the story.

Hey okay, here's a weird one...

Just tonight, our church's Men's Group was downtown doing maintenance construction work for an inner-city homeless teen center. Afterward we went to MaggieMoos for some ice cream (this the REAL reason we do these work projects! ).

Anywhooo... We're sitting outside MaggieMoo's eating our ice cream, and a homeless guy comes up and asks us for some quarters. One of our guys said, "Hey - I have a proposition. I'll give you a $10 bill if you'll let us pray with you." The guy agrees, but as our guy was about to pray, the homeless guy starts this weird kind of charismatic uttering/muttering - doing it through our guy's whole prayer. Then he just kind of keeps going and going and going with this uttering/muttering. None of us know what to do, but he finally quit. He thanked us, stood up and went his way.

We were all kind of shocked, but thought, hey, what they heck. Who knows?

So we finished our ice cream, and got up to leave. As we were about to leave, the guy that prayed and gave the homeless man $10 noticed that the man had accidentally dropped it on the sidewalk. Since the guy was long gone, he picked it up and put it back in his wallet.

I don't know just what to make of any of this. Weird...

Old 04-14-2009, 09:56 PM

9,897 posts, read 10,843,120 times
Quote:
I didn't wanna start a thread on this. But it's worth a try.

Many a time I come across these people, but governed by Murphy's laws, every time my wallet contains cards only, no bills. Sometimes I get lucky and quickly help them with whatever I can.

This saturday I was getting off an exit and the light turned red. By the side, there was a gentleman on a wheel chair. The message on his hand said something like "Iraq vet needs your help"

It was cold, the colorado weather has still not improved. I drew money off my wallet and jumped off my car and headed in his direction. The whole time, the rest of the many vehicles stood there simply watching the man by the side.

Too bad the lights turn green, I was running back and I heard a million honks. Of course, I'm guilty of holding up traffic, but what is happening in this world? Does anyone even remember values like compassion, care and concern for a neighbour, forget christian values.

I somehow managed to slip away. I checked to see no cop was following me. I dunno, maybe the cams caught me

I'm compelled to request every one of you who can help, to help these people, anyone, if you ever see them in exits or on the road.

I believe God keeps the rest of us above water and he chiefly expects us to take care of our underpriveleged brethren. A life without charity or help for the neighbour is no life at all.
Hmmmmm........... I have had this converstation with a gal I know , she always gives them money especially if they have a dog, and she believes this good dead will help her get to heaven (she is not a Christian). Soooooo heres the deal, I see some of these guys at several ramps around my area, "regularly", same guy, same place, same time, he has a sign that reads something like " Homeless, hungry, Godbless". Now, I ask myself as a Christian, If I were Homeless, and hungry, and I was praying to God to help me and my family, I would have to ask God what do I need to be doing, should I be looking for a job, should I be seeking help from those that I know, family,friends, organizations and programs dedicated for helping homeless and hungry people, or should I go stand at the on ramp and beg for money?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,767,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Hey okay, here's a weird one...

Just tonight, our church's Men's Group was downtown doing maintenance construction work for an inner-city homeless teen center. Afterward we went to MaggieMoos for some ice cream (this the REAL reason we do these work projects! ).

Anywhooo... We're sitting outside MaggieMoo's eating our ice cream, and a homeless guy comes up and asks us for some quarters. One of our guys said, "Hey - I have a proposition. I'll give you a $10 bill if you'll let us pray with you." The guy agrees, but as our guy was about to pray, the homeless guy starts this weird kind of charismatic uttering/muttering - doing it through our guy's whole prayer. Then he just kind of keeps going and going and going with this uttering/muttering. None of us know what to do, but he finally quit. He thanked us, stood up and went his way.

We were all kind of shocked, but thought, hey, what they heck. Who knows?

So we finished our ice cream, and got up to leave. As we were about to leave, the guy that prayed and gave the homeless man $10 noticed that the man had accidentally dropped it on the sidewalk. Since the guy was long gone, he picked it up and put it back in his wallet.

I don't know just what to make of any of this. Weird...
LOL, your friend got lucky.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:08 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,767,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Now, I ask myself as a Christian, If I were Homeless, and hungry, and I was praying to God to help me and my family, I would have to ask God what do I need to be doing, should I be looking for a job, should I be seeking help from those that I know, family,friends, organizations and programs dedicated for helping homeless and hungry people, or should I go stand at the on ramp and beg for money?
You should probably pray that God does not drive you to that extremity. To this day, I'm so thankful I am still employed

Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,180,843 times
Quote:
I didn't wanna start a thread on this. But it's worth a try.

Many a time I come across these people, but governed by Murphy's laws, every time my wallet contains cards only, no bills. Sometimes I get lucky and quickly help them with whatever I can.

This saturday I was getting off an exit and the light turned red. By the side, there was a gentleman on a wheel chair. The message on his hand said something like "Iraq vet needs your help"

It was cold, the colorado weather has still not improved. I drew money off my wallet and jumped off my car and headed in his direction. The whole time, the rest of the many vehicles stood there simply watching the man by the side.

Too bad the lights turn green, I was running back and I heard a million honks. Of course, I'm guilty of holding up traffic, but what is happening in this world? Does anyone even remember values like compassion, care and concern for a neighbour, forget christian values.

I somehow managed to slip away. I checked to see no cop was following me. I dunno, maybe the cams caught me

I'm compelled to request every one of you who can help, to help these people, anyone, if you ever see them in exits or on the road.

I believe God keeps the rest of us above water and he chiefly expects us to take care of our underpriveleged brethren. A life without charity or help for the neighbour is no life at all.
I agree with the others that mentioned what a kind hearted person you are.

Alas, I am jaded. I have been scammed too often by people with sad stories asking for money. Being kind hearted is a good thing unless unkind hearted people take advantage of it.

These days I donate to charities like the local homeless shelter, kitchen, etc ., places that help these folks the best they can. I don't give money out any more, especially to someone who asks for it.

A long time ago, it was Thanksgiving and there was a homeless guy dumpster diving for what? I'm not sure - food maybe. I handed him a $10 bill and he did not even say thank you. Maybe he was embarrassed, I don't know. To think he was so rude on Thanksgiving when I was just trying to be kind. I swore never again.

Do what you think is right. It's a karma thing. We have to deal with life in our own way.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity