Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:22 AM

865 posts, read 2,504,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
We are commissioned to spread the Gospel. We do this out of love. If I know someone who dies and I never shared the Gospel with them, it is my responsibility and I will have to answer to God. If they die without Christ, they will perish. Hell is a very real place no matter how many times New Agers spin it.
Sorry, but the tone of the OP (like most fire and brimstone) had nothing to do with sharing the Gospel or loving thy neighbor IMHO. Let them see your love and they'll see Christ in you. Start demanding a decision and threatening hell and damnation and you'll drive them away. Why do you think so many "liberals" who have strong values of love and compassion for their fellow man are turned off by the fundamentalist Christianity that gets the news play today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 09:23 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,025,579 times
Quote:
We are commissioned to spread the Gospel. We do this out of love. If I know someone who dies and I never shared the Gospel with them, it is my responsibility and I will have to answer to God. If they die without Christ, they will perish. Hell is a very real place no matter how many times New Agers spin it.

If we were living in the middle of a lost jungle with only native people around I could perhaps understand your need to spread the gospel (although I feel it is wrong to impose one's religion on another)...but most of us live in modern countries where Christianity is all around us. We know what it is, we understand your belief in heaven and hell, and those who want to follow that path are free to do so. But for others, the constant preaching and warning and doomsday threats just annoy and push them further away. And, by the way, one does not have to be a New Ager to enjoy beliefs and spiritual foundations other than those of Christianity.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:14 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,447,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Maybe if you stop preaching doom and gloom and promote love of our neighbors, the unbelievers might just believe you. God isn't in a book. He's a part of every person ever created. When we shove things at others, it tends to scare them away. When you love without condition, you bring others near you. Love thy neighbor is the commandment, not love thy words in a book and shove it in others faces. Let others decide for themselves when they want to believe. You are not responsible for anyone but yourself. God waits for all to come to Him. You don't see Him forcing people, now do you?
Not responsible for anyone but yourself? Reverend1111, not even you believe that, so why don't you just speak the truth and "shame" the devil? You "do" know the truth don't you?

But I'm not here to "debate" yet again. There's some extremely important things which I'm taking care of right now, and trust me, my mind set is not me and me alone, just stopped by to share a message or two. Bless.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,447,623 times
I am the good shephard: the good shepherd giveth His life for the sheep. (12). But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattered the sheep. (13). The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep. (14). I am the good Shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. (15). As the Father knoweth me, even so I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. (16). And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. (17). Therefore doth my father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. (18). No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to it again. This commandment have I recieved of my Father.

Jesus Christ

I can't do it for myself.

I do it because the love of God inside of me takes over, yes, even at those times I'm discouraged.

I do it because I can't help knowing where He brought me from, and if He could do it for me, He can surely do it for you.

He laid down His life for me!! For me, Denise! When I think about what He endured for my sake, my sake, I ask myself: "Am I ever going to endure such of what He have? Am I ever going to feel those nails being driven into me? Am I ever going to have a crown of thorns placed on my head? My side pierced? Made to carry that cross? Am I?" Well, surely I can lay down my life for brother's and sister's in Christ can't I? I can and most likely, I will.

I don't know about you, but when Christ set me free, He set me free indeed!! One day we will have to stand and profess Him to the world or risk being killed/prosecuted, think you can stand? Will you keep the faith? Or will you crumble and fall? Lose your faith?

I don't know about you......but If I die right now, right now, I KNOW WHAT I KNOW, I'll be forever with Him!!

That's why I do what I do!! Yes, for you and for you. Not afraid to stand up for My Lord and Saviour!

I plan on seeing His face.

Love, Betsey

Old 04-17-2009, 10:58 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,170,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
If we were living in the middle of a lost jungle with only native people around I could perhaps understand your need to spread the gospel (although I feel it is wrong to impose one's religion on another)...but most of us live in modern countries where Christianity is all around us. We know what it is, we understand your belief in heaven and hell, and those who want to follow that path are free to do so. But for others, the constant preaching and warning and doomsday threats just annoy and push them further away. And, by the way, one does not have to be a New Ager to enjoy beliefs and spiritual foundations other than those of Christianity.
Thank you for saying that. I've been trying to get that message across for months here. Why is it so hard to understand that most in the US have heard the Gospel...some multiple times? Ugh.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:16 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,003,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
It is time to make a decision! When, Who, What, Where, When and Why..........have you not heard enough?
The decision has been made. I did it long before you decided to enlighten us. I decided that people with messages like yours was wrong. I now visit to present the perspective Jesus would have had on your message. I try not to be argumentative, but when I see people being driven from Jesus then I feel it is part of my obligation to tell people that that is not what Jesus would do, and that is not what Jesus taught.
Quote:
When are you going to decide? Times "winding" up, it's not the same day.
No, the time is not "winding up." That is simply another fear tactic used to scare the fearful into Christianity. Blackmail does not, can not and will not make a person a Christian.
Quote:
What else do you need to "know"? Tell me, so I can help, please.
Perhaps if you showed the same compassion and love that Jesus did, your words might have more effect. Unfortunately what you do speaks so loudly that people cannot hear your words.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:18 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,030,181 times
Quote:
Not responsible for anyone but yourself? Reverend1111, not even you believe that, so why don't you just speak the truth and "shame" the devil? You "do" know the truth don't you?

But I'm not here to "debate" yet again. There's some extremely important things which I'm taking care of right now, and trust me, my mind set is not me and me alone, just stopped by to share a message or two. Bless.
You and you alone are responsible for your own actions. Do you always blame others when you err? I take responsibility for myself and you can ask anyone who knows me. I do not pawn my troubles onto others for them to carry as well. When I have issues, I take them to God and He will either carry them or show me how to deal with them. Yes, I do believe with all my heart that we are responsible for ourselves. And the truth has set me free.
You seem to think you have all of the answers but you don't. No one has all the answers. I answered your post accordingly so don't tell me what I believe or not.
The devil, as you say, does not exist. The real devil is ourselves and when we are not true to ourselves and others, we portray the devil in ourselves. That isn't me because I belong to God. You just hate the fact that I portray a loving God to all and not the God you believe in who should be feared.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:22 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,030,181 times
Quote:
I guess we are both doing our jobs according to our beliefs then, aren't we?
You aren't responsible to bring people to God. God is within us at all times because we have a part of Him. When people are ready, God will nudge them in the right direction but not before. People can't be forced into submission because then it wouldn't be true nor would it be Love.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:55 PM

756 posts, read 2,221,180 times
Quote:
It is time to make a decision! When, Who, What, Where, When and Why..........have you not heard enough? When are you going to decide? Times "winding" up, it's not the same day. What else do you need to "know"? Tell me, so I can help, please.
Are we talking about people in general or the posters on this forum?

Why is it time to make a decision? People will come to God when they are ready. God is already there with them and guiding them, whether they know it or not. It's not your timetable, it's His.

What more can anyone do? Live by example. Show your joy, love, peace, and compassion and people will be drawn to you. People want to know someone who is so filled with joy. They want to know what they are missing in their lives. People will respond to that. Whether they accept Jesus into their hearts is between God and them. And until we are each perfect, we should be focusing on our own relationships with God.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:08 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,668,739 times
Smile Precious Denise...or "Betsy"...

...your endeavor...is to speak with people, and hope that the Spirit will move so that they'll no longer trust in themselves...in their works. You do a good thing my dear sister...and the Lord will honor the one who allows Him to call out to the lost through them...I encourage you to never quit...but I know you do not need to be encouraged to do so, it is your heart to do so...and you are beautiful!

...we are called to plant the seed, and then water it...

...but God, and only God can give the increase.

If we are going to be saved, if we are going to be delivered, it will not be because of what we deserve...it will not be because of some virtue or merit on our part.

It is by His grace, and...pity...His pity. The pity He has toward us - the lovingkindness He has toward us, and not because of our own piety.. If we are discerning, while taking an honest look at our life, we will see that we trust in ourself a great deal more than we ought to...the way we live seems to indicate that God is going to bless us, and help us, and deliver us because of our own piety...because of something we have done, or have not done...and we're wrong...it is by His grace...it is all the work of God's grace...God's unmeritted favor. We think so much, it has to do with me...what I do...what I become...what I don't do, but eveything depends on His pity and lovingkindness and tender mercies He places upon a man...a transference of glory...hope...and confidence. We can no longer glory in self, but only in Him...any achievement in our life...we know it comes from Him...not just because we know Him...but after several years, we begin to know more about ourself. As we grow, we are going to be content in Him, and content in the fact that all our salvation springs forth from Him...and from His mercy, and from His grace...and we begin to say..."Unto Thee - Be the glory!" "Only unto Thee!" The true believer, that has grown in maturity, and been instructed, will never have a problem with God doing everything for His own glory. Not only is it a reality...but after all of our failures, we see it is a necessity...If God does anything based upon what I deserve, there is no hope...whatsoever.

Fallen man's only ground, for any appeal for salvation and deliverance, is God's character and willingness to save...He is the One who opens ears to hear His call to salvation...He chooses who will hear, and who will not. His will can seem harsh...His will can seem wrong, unless you understand His character. If you understand His character...then...in the midst of His will for you to suffer, you can rejoice because you know there's purpose and there's goodness behind it...."To God be ALL the glory...forever and ever!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity