Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:44 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times

Advertisements

Chapter 19

Amen, LC! That struck me too....Jesus' concern for His precious Mother. Another thing that is amazing to me is the fulfillment of so much scripture through His death.

I'm just going to quote everything Jesus said in Chapter 19:

"You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin."

"Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "here is your Mother".

"I am thirsty."

"It is finished."

All was prophesied, and all was fulfilled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 07:45 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Chapter 19

This whole chapter has brought nothing but tears to my heart this morning! I love my Jesus!

vv.26-27
When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, "Woman, behold your son!" Then He said to the disciple, "Behold your mother!" And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home.

Jesus' concern for His mother (v.26) was not dimmed even in His hour of agony, an example for Christians for all time.

His love and concern never stops and is still here with us today to lead us to Him for all eternity!
I also think there's a lesson for us concerning being family IN CHRIST.

IN CHRIST, you are my 'real' sister and I am your 'real' brother.....actually, IN CHRIST, IMHO, supersedes natural blood.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:35 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

IN CHRIST, you are my 'real' sister and I am your 'real' brother.....actually, IN CHRIST, IMHO, supersedes natural blood.
Yes... you are totally correct! Matter of fact this scripture came to my heart this morning as I was posting and I was in a hurry didn't have time to look it up and decided to leave it out......
I should have waited so that I could put all that was in my heart in reading Chapter 19....

Matt.12:47-50
47 Then one said to Him, “Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You.”
48 But He answered and said to the one who told Him, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?”
49 And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, “Here are My mother and My brothers!
50 For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.”

Blessings to you....Little Brother!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:48 AM

852 posts, read 1,365,568 times
Chapter 19:

The Crucifixion of Jesus
I normally do not read prior posts before I post mine....
but I did today for some reason...
the link to family was such a good thing to see...
what I saw was the reason that I believe...
The reason that I believe Jesus died for our sins...I saw a man who cared about us so much...
I saw a man who was willing to die for our sins...
I can feel his pain...feel his love...
I can feel the conviction in my heart

Have a blessed day everyone!
btw...nice to see you Ilene!
and everyone else!

Old 06-15-2009, 03:50 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

Sorry for my tardiness everyone. I just got internet on recently since my moved here to Texas...so here I am. I still have minor detail of things to do so I will be touch and go from time to time but this is second to the last chapter so I should be able to complete the book of John .

I began reading at chptr 19 and I agree with you Alpha. This act of Jesus demonstrates a love the surpasses any bloodline between relatives but goes through the bloodline of the body of believers through the blood of Christ which binds us all together in spirit, truth, love and power. I should utilize this unity more often in my daily life to fight daily spirtual battles for myself and my brothers and sisters around the world.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:58 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Sorry for my tardiness everyone. I just got internet on recently since my moved here to Texas...so here I am. I still have minor detail of things to do so I will be touch and go from time to time but this is second to the last chapter so I should be able to complete the book of John .

I began reading at chptr 19 and I agree with you Alpha. This act of Jesus demonstrates a love the surpasses any bloodline between relatives but goes through the bloodline of the body of believers through the blood of Christ which binds us all together in spirit, truth, love and power. I should utilize this unity more often in my daily life to fight daily spirtual battles for myself and my brothers and sisters around the world.
I definitely think that thinking of fellow believers as real, literal brothers and sisters was a part of my 'heart transplant'.....which continues even now!

Old 06-16-2009, 04:10 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,203 times
Default Chapter 17 - Jesus' Prayer

I've always found this chapter absolutely mind boggling--Jesus prayed for me! In both the prayer for his disciples and the future believers, I see such assurance of our position in Him. Nothing will be able to displace us. We are His!

In my readings of this chapter, I was constantly drawn to what Jesus said about himself in verse 4: "I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do." Oh, how I want to be able to pray that with the same assurance.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm always my own harshest critic. That's both good and bad. It's good in that I try to honestly evaluate myself to see where my life can be improved. I admit I'm not perfect, so I certainly can't expect others to be. My self-critique is bad, though, when I place unrealistic expectations upon myself. I find this especially true in the spiritual realm.

When I hear of awesome ministries and people doing great things for God, I question myself. When I examine the personages of the Bible and walk through the Hall of Faith in Hebrews 11, I wonder how I can possible measure up. Basically, my eyes are on others and not on Jesus. In actuality, there are some surprise entries to the Hall of Faith. Upon closer inspection, I realize those esteemed individuals are sometimes being commended for very simple actions, for doing the right thing at the moment an opportunity was presented to them.

It's hard to admit that perhaps God hasn't intended me for "great" works. Perhaps His perfect will for my life is to simply live it, day by day, listening to His voice in the small things. Is it possible to be commended for washing the dishes, doing laundry, and sweeping the floor if I do it to bring glory to God by making my home presentable for offering hospitality or making my home ready so I can act on the spur of the moment when God gives me an opportunity? Will I be commended for setting the broom aside and playing with my family, creating a bond that cannot be broken? Will I please Jesus by turning off the computer and picking up my Bible, or calling a friend, or doing something nice for my family? Basically, am I taking advantage of the opportunities I'm given, or do I shrug them off by creating excuses?

Rather than doing something "great," perhaps I'm just supposed to be me, showing faithfulness in the small things. In this life, I'll probably never know which one small thing led to something great for the kingdom of God. But Jesus knows! He gives me assurance, and he encourages me to pray with Him, "I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do."

Old 06-16-2009, 05:17 AM

Default Chapter 18 - A Tale of Two Men

Jesus/Peter . . . Truth/Denial . . . Strength/Weakness . . . Boldness/Cowardice

I'm reminded of Jesus' words to His believers in John 8:32, "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Jesus, not only knowing the truth but also being The Truth, was free to boldly approach the guards. It gave him the freedom to stand with strength before others and answer the accusations against him. Others fell back when he truthfully stated, "I am He."

I can apprehend the power, strength, and boldness that comes from speaking the truth.

~~~~~

How ironic that the Jews didn't want to enter the Praetorium (governor's palace & judgment hall) because they did not want to become ceremonially unclean, yet they were actively engaged in perhaps the most unclean act known to mankind--bringing false witness against Jesus, an act that led to the death of an innocent man!

In John 11, Caiaphas uttered the infamous words, "You know nothing at all! You do not realize that it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish." Why? Because he and the other leaders felt that if everyone believed in Jesus, the Romans would take away their place and their nation. Their eyes were on earthly power and rewards, not heavenly ones.

Lord, please open my eyes to my true motivations. Please let me see when my "righteous" actions are actually unclean. Please let me seek Your kingdom and Your righteousness so I don't have to worry about the things of the earth and so You will add the right things to my life.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:46 AM

Default John 19

The man who saw it has given testimony, and his testimony is true. He knows that he tells the truth, and he testifies so that you also may believe. (verse 35)

Thank you, Father, for preserving the eyewitness testimony of the most important event in Earth's history!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:04 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times
Chpter 20

I am intrigued with Miriam devotion to the Lord! She gets up while it was still dark to discover the stone removed from the tomb, when all the others returned home after seeing the tomb empty, she still remains at the tomb and when she see the "gardener", she was willing to go get his body and return it to the tomb by herself. Because of her devotion, she is the first to see and speak to the Lord!

I should also be that devoted to the Lord; willing to do what others are not, only to be rewarded by his presence and his word of encouragement and direction in my life and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity